MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

whats the best oscillator ever, ever?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]

whats the best oscillator in the world?
the one that tracks 50 octave cause you know, dogs.
9%
 9%  [ 8 ]
the one that has the sliders!
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
the one with the most holes to fill!
25%
 25%  [ 21 ]
the one that's the most like a cat, aka on its terms only, but always a character
20%
 20%  [ 17 ]
the one that fmz all the way to 11
18%
 18%  [ 15 ]
the one that has a sine so pure it hands mother theresa a red letter a
20%
 20%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 82

Author whats the best oscillator ever, ever?
lvoemachine
this poll is for serious. but no really, whats really important to you? I personally like flexibility in patching (lots of i/o) and octave switching and could care less about panel size.
JohnLRice
The best oscillators ever are the ones I currently have, cuz all the other ones do absolutely nothing for me! hihi
odecahedron
and lo, the lord said unto Joseph: Love All Thy Oscillators equally, lest ye perish in the lake of Gearslutz
milkshake
I like the OSC-HRM the best. It has everything, good tracking, clean sine, amazing FM, buck loads of character, build in vca, great function density but not to much. It just resonates with my being.
Minimoog56
Funny I found it thin sounding.
Michel van der Aa
at this point in time: MOTM-300 and Cwejman VCO-6
nerdware
Dear Muffs, please validate my gear choices. not this shit again
Just me
Whats funny is my favorite OSC doesn't even do sine.
milkshake
Minimoog56 wrote:

I don't know what that means.

BTW: If you have one (or more) for sale, give me a PM.
JohnLRice
dis one looks purdy gud:

stk
My favrit is the best for teh drop bro
Bryan B
Love the poll!

On the real, I love my (MU DIY) DUSG's for the raw beasty and seductive sounds they make, extreme versatility and CV controls including rise and fall times.

The Dotcom gets my vote for best solid VCO for the money. The octave switches, soft sync capabilities, multiple CV inputs make it a go to VCO for me.

The SSL Double Dekka gets my vote for my favorite Digital VCO. So many amazing features!

Honorable Mention goes to Corsynth for the sexy Arp VCO with all kinds of fun extras on board!

But on the really real, I have yet to hear the MOTM, Modcan or Oakley VCO's in their full glory. I will remedy that someday!
sduck
Deleted - I shouldn't try to post early in the morning.
richard
milkshake wrote:
Minimoog56 wrote:

I don't know what that means.

I'm assuming humour because it is hard to believe it as a serious comment on that particular VCO, but who knows...? seriously, i just don't get it

I do know that when I checked one out it sounded positively 3 dimensional and I could still hear it the next day
wyrtti
All of them?
jmcecil
Doesn't have the greatest range on the pitch CV though.

sduck
JohnLRice wrote:
The best oscillators ever are the ones I currently have, cuz all the other ones do absolutely nothing for me! hihi

Quoted for truth! Presumably each of us made some sort of decision about which VCOs we bought, and if the decision turned out to be a bad one, we got rid of the things, and moved on to better and brighter things.

Which is best? Hell if I know. All I can tell you is that I have a lot of them. Here's some, and some commentary. Mine are all MOTM format, allthough I build them myself, and quite a few of these are available in the other formats as well.

J3RK Dual Complex VCO front by sduck409, on Flickr

This is my latest thing - 2 VCOs and a bunch of utility modules that you can patch together to make whichever flavor of complex VCO you want. I've spent hours messing with this thing, and still have only a small inkling of what it can do. The VCOs seem really solid, although they lack any flavor of sync, which would have been nice. And I designed this nice 3U panel, but if I had gone with 4U I could have put in a bunch of nice other stuff, like extra modulation inputs, implemented a better VCA alternative, etc. I haven't used this in any kind of actual track yet, so don't know details about tracking or lack of it and such.

Dual Digital Oscillator front by sduck409, on Flickr

This one - wow! The PT-Audio Dual Digital VCO. What a sound this one makes. It can go from serene dark sines to complete mayhem and anything in between with very simple patches. Put an EG on the various mod inputs and you have a full FM VCO. I made this one behind a blacked out panel just as an exercise - it's actually really hard to use this way, but still looks cool. Eventually I hope to make a more useable one.

VCSinstalled by sduck409, on Flickr

I'll throw this one in because I've used it on occasion - it works quite well as a VCO, although it doesn't track really well past 2 octaves. I have 2 of these, because you need two.

Ian Fritz Teezer VCO front by sduck409, on Flickr

Teezer front by sduck409, on Flickr

Two Teezers - because one is not enough. Actually I wish I really had 2 - the bottom one stopped working, and I've never been able to fix it, yet. These guys are really fantastic sounding, if you take the time to patch them up right - by themselves they're fairly clinical sounding. Add some FM, and I've gotten some of the coolest bass sounds in the world out of these, not to mention everything else.

Ian Fritz DoubleDeka VCO installed by sduck409, on Flickr

Who doesn't like a DoubleDekka? this is the old, original MOTM version, without the new addon stuff and LED faders Doug Slocum added on, which make it a much cooler entity. It's still extremely cool and gnarly sounding - if you need something with gobs of harmonics to really show off your cool new filter, this is your guy. And put it in a feedback loop with another 2 VCOs, and it'll do stuff you can't imagine.

Buchla 258 clone front by sduck409, on Flickr

Two 258j's! Two! Not one! Two! These guys are the weird twins that go off and live by themselves because they don't play well with others. They don't track very well if at all, the FM response is all screwy, they behave completely differently with tiny turns of the waveform pots, they're just generally crazy when you cross modulate them, which is where their magic lies. Invite them to your parties, they'll sit quietly in the chairs in the corner until most people have left, then they'll drink all your booze and turn into the life of the party.

MOTM e350 Morphing Terrarium front by sduck409, on Flickr

The Morphing Terrarium - I love this thing, and seem to use it in nearly everything since I got it. There's just too much great sound in this thing. Paults has been promising a native 5U version of this for years - it should REALLY happen, you guys will love it.

Motm e340 front by sduck409, on Flickr

The Cloud Generator - basically the best sounding super saw you ever heard. Fat, clean, gnarly, it does it all.

motm300front by sduck409, on Flickr

The MOTM 300 - I have 3 of these, and a 310. These are the old standbys - they've got the huge sound, track ridiculously well, stay in tune for months, and won't steal your lunch money. Well, actually, they will - they're just about the most expensive standard VCO you can buy, except you can't actually buy them unless you're lucky these days. I've called these my number one VCOs for a long time, and still do.
makro
The Zeroscillator, definitely nanners

But i dont have one :(
If it comes to the three best VCOs i own, first the Z3000mk2 followed by the DPO (hard decision here). In third place, the piston honda 2.

EDIT:
scratch that, i just realized the magical term "5U" in the Subforum name d'oh! very frustrating
richard
sduck, you have a lot of VCOs
Michel van der Aa
thanks for sharing that sduck ! thumbs up
Neovintage
My 2 favorite VCO's are the Hordijk Osc HRM and the Minibrute Osc (even if it is not modular).

I like to modulate the waves with the HRM when it is pitched in the lowest range (clocks), I get some rhythmical swing patterns.

The Minibrute is just so complete with the mixing, and the modulators.

Quote:
BTW: If you have one (or more) for sale, give me a PM.

No Osc to sell but a triple panel
Just me
I HAD two Zeroscillators. Sold them both. They were not what I could take in an OSC. It took way too many supporting modules to make them work. Almost a case full just for them. And they don't track over 2 octaves. EVER. My SSL/Fritz DDVCO is probably may favorite. But I still use it as a sequencer more than an OSC. For sequenced stuff, My VCO1 is great. Most everything else is a trio of Q106's. They are so well supported in and of themselves and with the additions of aid modules, really give me what I want in oscillatory signal generation. That said. I really like using my filters as oscillators, too.
alternating.bit
Neovintage wrote:
My 2 favorite VCO's are the Hordijk Osc HRM and the Minibrute Osc (even if it is not modular).

The Minibrute is just so complete with the mixing, and the modulators.

I so agree!! Once I got the Minibrute I was completely converted to raw analog which was my next step away from analog modeling synths to modular. The Minibrute's features and sound are unbelievable for such a small box and low price tag.

On topic - I've only owned 2 different oscillators, and while I hope to obtain the Corsynth one, I really like my Oakley S-VCO for its layout and simplicity.
rezzn8r
"the one that's the most like a cat, aka on its terms only, but always a character"

This choice made me think of the Bugbrand Weevil hihi

wyrtti wrote:
All of them?

I've yet to meet a VCO that I didn't like oops love

@ sduck: Epic post!
Quote:
Two Teezers - because one is not enough. Actually I wish I really had 2 - the bottom one stopped working, and I've never been able to fix it, yet. These guys are really fantastic sounding, if you take the time to patch them up right - by themselves they're fairly clinical sounding. Add some FM, and I've gotten some of the coolest bass sounds in the world out of these, not to mention everything else.

I have a Teezer, and also wish I had two. Also agree that the FM is pretty special on these.

Quote:
Two 258j's! Two! Not one! Two! These guys are the weird twins that go off and live by themselves because they don't play well with others. They don't track very well if at all, the FM response is all screwy, they behave completely differently with tiny turns of the waveform pots, they're just generally crazy when you cross modulate them, which is where their magic lies. Invite them to your parties, they'll sit quietly in the chairs in the corner until most people have left, then they'll drink all your booze and turn into the life of the party.

Interesting comments. I put a down payment on one of these in Frac format from Synthcube when they do a run. I'll be sure to hide the booze hihi or maybe not

Quote:
The Cloud Generator - basically the best sounding super saw you ever heard. Fat, clean, gnarly, it does it all.

I got one of these to replace a Saw Animator. Yup, very nice super saw, but I love how it sounds when you crank the spread to max love

I currently have the Modcan Dual Digital and Dual Analogue VCOs, a Teezer, a Malekko/Wiard 5U Uncle conversion, an Oakley rev3, a Cloud Generator, a Blacet VCO, and a Bugbrand Weevil, plus a bunch of Miniwaves, and a few VCS modules,too, and I can't pick a favourite.
I really love the phase aspect of the Uncle, the TZFM of the Teezer, and the Starve function on the weevil. The Oakley and the Blacet are my go-to guys for tonal melodies in my Frac rig.
The detune on the Modcan Dual Analogue gives me goosebumps we're not worthy
noobyscooby
Depends what you need.

As far as standard stuff goes it's the MOTM 300s for me and I have a boatload of standard oscillators in all formats. There's times I think of getting rid of my small MOTM system or at least half of it and those oscillators, the wave warper and the triple resonant filter prevent me from doing so.

For getting freaky there's a ton i like. Everything from the Blacet VCOs, Minibrute/Microbrute (I have both), Blippoo Box, Serge NTO, my old EML and Octave Cat SRM blah blah.

But straight up, tight, beautiful sound it's those MOTMs. They're a lot but they're the best IMHO. Hook those babies up to a Super Sawtor and it's heaven super saw.

Yes the Zeroscillator's a pain in the ass for the most part but I have a massive system and I love my Modcan A format one when I use it so it has a home here.

Have lots of digital ones too. Both Modcan digital ones, Miniwaves etc.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4