MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Question about uses for MOTM 730
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Question about uses for MOTM 730
JRamella
I have a MOTM 730 which I really like taking subdivisions of incoming clock and driving 320 LFO and 700 router.

But I don't own any external gear that accepts a 1/4" input clock. My mobius sequencer outputs 1/4" clock... my Kenton Pro-2 converts MIDI clock to a standard clock... again output. What can I drive from my 730 that accepts a standard clock - not even my machinedrum accepts clock... only MIDI clock.

Is there a converter box... or are there *new* devices that accept clock? Thanks!!!
bwhittington
The most common use of the pulses would have to be triggering envelopes within your synth. If you are interested in converting the pulses to MIDI clock, my best understanding is that this device will do the trick.

I was interested in a similar application, and the designer affirmed that this should work. However, he was going to test it to be sure, and he never got back with me on that result, so I don't know definitively. Looks like a cool box, and it will be distributed by Analogue Haven, if it ever sees the light of day. It was supposed to be released in October but was supposedly pulled back at the last minute for a design overhaul to make it better. That sounded like a bogus way of saying they hadn't gotten around to finishing yet to me, but when/if it comes out, it looks like a great option for what you want to do.

Another option would be software applications like Volta or Silent Way.

Cheers,
Brian

JRamella wrote:
I have a MOTM 730 which I really like taking subdivisions of incoming clock and driving 320 LFO and 700 router.

But I don't own any external gear that accepts a 1/4" input clock. My mobius sequencer outputs 1/4" clock... my Kenton Pro-2 converts MIDI clock to a standard clock... again output. What can I drive from my 730 that accepts a standard clock - not even my machinedrum accepts clock... only MIDI clock.

Is there a converter box... or are there *new* devices that accept clock? Thanks!!!
JohnLRice
Welcome JRamella! w00t

In addition to what Brian mentioned, take a look at the Moon Modular M552 Quad Voltage/Gate To MIDI Converter:
http://www.lunar-experience.com/552.html
JRamella
Thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful.

Are there any sequencers/drum machines sold w/ clock in? A suggestion about triggering EG's... isn't the clock rate like 24ppq and the 730 divides that down further... is it too fast of a trigger?

Moon Modular stuff... is it hard to integrated into a MOTM system... power supply, etc. and is there a long lag-time before delivery, i.e. > 6 mths?

Thanks, again!!!
JohnLRice
JRamella wrote:
Moon Modular stuff... is it hard to integrated into a MOTM system... power supply, etc. ?

Integrating Moon modules into a MOTM system is about as hard as integrating Synthesizers.com modules into a MOTM system. Moon always put two kinds of connectors on their boards, a Synthesizers.com (DotCoM) sytle connector and a Club Of Ther Knobs (COTK) connector. And they work with +-12 to +-15 volts. MOre info here:
http://www.lunar-experience.com/technical.html

The physical dimentions and mounting are like DotCom, Moog, COTK, MOS-LAB etc. I have both in my system but to make mounting easy I have MOTM and Moon/COTK/DotCom/STG in separate racks.

JRamella wrote:
. . and is there a long lag-time before delivery, i.e. > 6 mths?

Moon seriously kicks ass on order fulfillment! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up They ship within 7 days of your payment clearing and use DHL (but the shippin cost is expensive.) I think I've received my orders in 2 to 3 weeks at the most from time of payment to time of delivery! (Germany to Northwest USA) w00t And, there is also more good news, Moon just announced that Noise Bug is now their U.S. distributor so if you are in the states or North America, you'll be able to get Moon modules super fast with inexpensive shipping.

Here is a picture of my mixed 5U format synth:

ach_gott
JohnLRice wrote:
Welcome JRamella! w00t

In addition to what Brian mentioned, take a look at the Moon Modular M552 Quad Voltage/Gate To MIDI Converter:

This won't output clock, however. What I'm planning to do on the next piece I'm working on is to generate the clock in my P3, send it to the Moon midi clock converter and then send that to the 730. This way drum machine, etc. is in synch too.
JohnLRice
ach_gott wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Welcome JRamella! w00t

This won't output clock, however. What I'm planning to do on the next piece I'm working on is to generate the clock in my P3, send it to the Moon midi clock converter and then send that to the 730. This way drum machine, etc. is in synch too.

Right, I was thinking you could input a clock to the gate and then activate any MIDI device's note on events in time with the MOTM-730 outputs.
jneilnyc
Re: Sync-Lock...

Word from the source is "Haven should have a full batch of 25 units in about a week."
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1