MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

3x8MU cabinets are imminent
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 3x8MU cabinets are imminent
suitandtieguy
http://pics.livejournal.com/suitandtieguy/pic/000sfykq/
bwhittington
Cool . . . nice and Moogy! Are these for personal use, or are you going all Synthcase on us? hihi

Cheers,
Brian

suitandtieguy wrote:
http://pics.livejournal.com/suitandtieguy/pic/000sfykq/
suitandtieguy
no. these will actually show up sometime after you pay for them.

also: threaded rails! custom!
suitandtieguy
these are getting delivered tomorrow!
suitandtieguy
bwhittington
Those look great. Don't sell them. Fill them with modules, instead. That would look friggin' fine.

Cheers,
Brian

PS. Wooden rails . . . did you give up on having metal rails made?
suitandtieguy
don't worry, these aren't for sale. one of them has already been sold, and the other three are for my engineering associate and myself.

the reason the 1/8" steel rails aren't in place yet is because they haven't been painted. after that, they'll go in.

these will be for sale at a certain price with ordering opening this week. in a couple of months i'll offer them with power and clock distro and a power supply (if you want) as well, as an option, once i've got the jackfields made for the rear. the back panels (which are removable, on t-nuts) have the doghouse at the bottom so i could improvise jackfields from MOTM panel stock i have laying around no one is ever going to buy. the "official" jackfield will be photographic aluminum just like my front panels and look much nicer.

i am extremely happy with these. the only way i could be happier is if they had been twice as complicated and cost me twice as much, so i could tung oil them. however i think it's better for everyone involved if they're just painted.

do you think i should offer them "naked" as well?
wyrtti
Nice looking cases. I really think you should offer an unfinished "naked" option too, for people who want to finish them themselves. Or those who like wood to be just, well, wood. smile
bwhittington
I'd definitely offer them unfinished if you won't be staining them. Sorry, but paint kind of kills the vibe for me. But you can discount my vote since I'm not case shopping.

Cheers,
Brian
decaying.sine
+1 unfinished.
sunsinger
These look pretty nice, it will be cool to see them with the rails in place.
suitandtieguy
i can sell them naked, but no promises about how they'd take a stain.

Nathan ( hahnamplifiers.com, the guy who is building these ) doesn't like using regular wood putty and prefers to work with something stronger which he can control the viscosity of by mixing himself. the drawback is that it doesn't take stain, but can be painted.

the first one, which is already spoken for, is currently drying on its 3rd coat of black. tomorrow i'll put the clearcoat on and see how that goes. i've been sanding between coats and i really like the results so far, wish me luck.
sunsinger
suitandtieguy wrote:
Nathan ( hahnamplifiers.com, the guy who is building these ) doesn't like using regular wood putty and prefers to work with something stronger which he can control the viscosity of by mixing himself. the drawback is that it doesn't take stain, but can be painted.

Eric, has your craftsman considered drilling the screw holes a bit deeper? Then he can cut a dowel rod plug of the same diameter as the screw hole, then glue & cap the screw holes and sand them flat.

It's really almost as fast as putty, so it shouldn't add much to the cost & time.

This solution would allow personalized staining. And a dowel is always more attractive and acceptable than putty.

I use this often. It gives more of a crafted, unscrewed look. More like it's been put together with dowels rather than screws. I've even found a source for dowel rods made from purple hear,t ebony, and paduk and other hardwoods. The contrast of these woods can be very pleasing.

Just a thought... smokin'
bwhittington
sunsinger wrote:

Eric, has your craftsman considered drilling the screw holes a bit deeper? Then he can cut a dowel rod plug of the same diameter as the screw hole, then glue & cap the screw holes and sand them flat.

I agree. Plugs totally would have been the way to go. I've never used any kind of putty that took stain well. I'm sure your finished product will look nice painted, but it's a shame that such nice looking cabinets can't take a stain evenly.

Cheers,
Brian
suitandtieguy
yes we've discussed this but it would raise the price significantly. it's not just about the joints, it's also about the edges and any imperfections in the wood. stain-grade cabinets would cost the end user 100 USD more, and i want to sell these for 300 USD or so empty and 600 USD with full power supply, distro, clock distro, etc.

i still might not be able to meet those price points, but i'm going to try.
sunsinger
Hey Eric, Are you using Baltic Plywood to make these, If so I totally understand your POV.

I have been making all of my cabinets with this stuff.
It's pretty high quality and very strong. Even Baltic Plywood can be subject to chipping and such while it's being milled, so the joints rarely fit without small imperfections.

But still, I think that there might be some tolerance for the small stuff if you stated that cabinets offered for self finishing will probably have some slight imperfections. I know that if I were buying a set, I'd want them that way. I'd just tweak them on this end before finishing.

This is my first cabinet made with baltic. I finished the exposed plys in front with some Curly Maple. It is shown unstained.

Luka
i am in the process of building my cabinets, to avoid this i mitred the corners and used biscuits to join the wood
megaohm
Suit,

Beautiful.
I would stick with it just the way it is.

One question:

What is the max pcb depth that can be used?
Even a rough estimate would be helpful.

Nice work.

p.
suitandtieguy
thanks for the kind words.

the overall depth is 10.25". the panels sit about 1 inch back, and the back panel is .5" plywood instead of .75" the superstructure is made from, so the useable depth is 8.75", roughly.

also, the backs are removable, on t-nuts, so getting inside to do wiring and such will be very easy.
doctorvague
suitandtieguy wrote:

also, the backs are removable, on t-nuts, so getting inside to do wiring and such will be very easy.

That's a superb idea.
suitandtieguy
you can thank Don Leslie for that. it wouldn't have occurred to me if i hadn't have had to open a Leslie cabinet like a hundred times or something.
doctorvague
suitandtieguy wrote:
you can thank Don Leslie for that. it wouldn't have occurred to me if i hadn't have had to open a Leslie cabinet like a hundred times or something.

FLASHBACK eek!
Adjusting the motors and belts - that brings back some 6-nights-a-week memories. I used to leave the panel on mine held on with just 2 or 3 screws I was in and out of it so much. There's nothing like a real spinning rotor though...
suitandtieguy
my icon should be the dead giveaway flashback trigger.

man. I wish I could have gigged six nights a week. I'd probably actually be good now.
essex sound lab
I've been offline for a few days...so am late to this thread.

WOW! They look great, Suit!

Did I infer correctly that they will have multiple rail options (presumably MU and MOTM)? And your multi-format distros as options?

Hmmm........
suitandtieguy
OK sorry i haven't been in the thread for a day. i've been sick.

so this has been quite a voyage of discovery. i'm very glad we made these first 4 before the rest.

they're not going to be birch ply any more, they're going to be solid oak, milled by Nathan himself. apparently he was using the furniture plywood because i suggested it, not because it was his first choice. a few years ago i asked him to make me a cabinet out of hardwood and he said "no way" and apparently that was because he didn't have a board planer! now he's had one for a year or so and would rather be getting rough-hewn boards and milling them down himself.

they're also going to be butt-joined, with dowels. no bradnail dings to be puttied any longer.

and also because of this change in materials, we can make the cabinet size i wanted to begin with: 3x10MU.

so they're going to be a bit more, but i hope not too much. i wanted to go with 30MU of space because the Synthesizers.com cabinets are 22MU or 44MU, and i really wanted to be in between those numbers for more variety in the marketplace.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2