MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Voice Controller with MOTU 1224
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Voice Controller with MOTU 1224
sine
I'm trying Silent Way Voice Controller with a MOTU 1224. The regular TRS outputs work fine, albeit with less than four octave tracking range. This was expected. The problem is, I can't get calibration it to work correctly using the Heaphone out or the Main XLR Outs. These outputs are preferable because they're much higher voltage--I can't remember the chart exactly, but around 6 octaves.

Here's audio of calibration using the regular TRS (low voltage) outputs:
The noises in the recording are artifacts from the mp3. It sounds clear at the source.
Calibration Good
Here's how calibration sounds with the Headphone or Main XLR Outs:
Calibration Fail

Notice how on the Fail version calibration tones start high and go down. Does this give any clue as to what the problem is? Playing the MIDI keyboard has no effect on pitch after the failed routine. I wonder if something is hooked up wrong inside the 1224. Has anyone tested a MOTU 1224?

Thanks.
os
sine wrote:
Notice how on the Fail version calibration tones start high and go down.

That's probably the clue. Sounds like those outputs are connected with the opposite polarity to the other outputs.

Two things you could try:
- use an XLR cable with the other XLR pin connected to the tip of the jack plug
- use an inverter plug-in in your host, after Silent Way, to negate the voltage it's producing.

What synth/module are you testing here, by the way?
sine
Thanks for the reply. When I get home tonight I'll try DP's Trim plugin, which can do phase inversion. Synthesizers.com Q106 is the osc.
sine
Brilliant! I flipped phase and calibration worked like a charm. I'm getting 7 octaves. Thank you.
os
Cool! I'll add that information to the website.
1nput0utput
os wrote:
sine wrote:
Notice how on the Fail version calibration tones start high and go down.

That's probably the clue. Sounds like those outputs are connected with the opposite polarity to the other outputs.

It could also be that the cables are wired wrong.
Bryan B
I had the same issue as described here, but I thought it was user error or a problem with my 1224's. The Din Sync wasn't working out of the 1224's headphone jack as well, this could explain things a bit.

Thanks for figuring this out! Now I have more tricks to try.

Any chance you could offer an "invert" checkbox on the voice controller in a future update?
os
Well thinking about it, all the output matrix knobs go negative, so you could just apply the inversion there.
Bryan B
What would be the best way to invert the LFO Din 24 default so I can use my 1224 headphone out?

Does Ableton have an "inverter" plug-in?
os
You could use Live's Utility plug-in.

Or you could negate the 'Square' and 'Offset' values in the LFO.
Bryan B
Thanks!

I don't use plug-ins all that much, too many real knobs to keep me busy I guess. I will be using yours a whole lot more in the not too distant future.
lombrose
Hello, I´m trying to use the voice controller and have a question, I alread have read the manual ok? Mr. Green

My question is abaout the output matrix, my gear is: windows vista ultimate, m-audio profire lightbridge using the dac output from my digimax fs to control my paia p9700s system, oscilator, filter and vca.

The daw I`m using is reaper, soon I`ll try to use silent way through pro tools with the vst adapter, but for now I`d like to now how to use the 6 outputs in the matrix to control one voice. How to adress each output of the voice controller to each different cv output to control the envs, gate, trigger etc?

Another thing is that the graphics of env 1 & 2 are not working, just a blue color in the place of each graphic, the third env graphic is ok.

Thaks in advance!!!!
os
The graphics issue could well be a Vista problem. I've not heard anyone else report the same thing.

By default the six outputs of the plug-in carry pitch, gate, envs 1-3, and trigger. Are you asking how to set up the routing in Reaper, or do you have a question about the plug-in itself?

I can try to help you with Reaper but I'm no expert.
lombrose
Hi!!!

Route in reaper is not a problem, I open the voice controller and put the ac adapter right after it, adress the output of the channel to the disired output in my interface, my question is: How to address each output in the voice controller to a specific output in the interface?

hmmm.....
os
You need to do that in Reaper. Open the IO dialog on the track, and set Track Channels to 6. Then you should be able to assign all 6 outputs of the plug-in to various hardware channels.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1