MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

price for a completed Paia 9700S?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author price for a completed Paia 9700S?
meese200
I built a 9700S a few months ago and then proceeded to build a ton of other modules. Thinking about selling it if I could get a decent price for it and then buy a ton more DIY gear.

I spent the last half hour googling and only found 2 prices $800 6 years ago and then a thread here for $300. Does anyone have a better guesstimate for what I could get for it?
Rob_C
Alright, I'll bite. My opinion only.

The $300 system price, shipped, was a really good deal and had the effect of selling quickly, and the seller did not have to pay a fee to Ebay. A couple of other 9700S systems have sold (Ebay and Electro-Music) for about $360.00 give or take some, for a standard configuration. The $800 price is much too high so I wonder if there was more to it than just the standard modules or perhaps someone paid someone for assembly.

You didn't specify the brand of the "ton of other modules" you built. Blacet, PAIA, Metalbox, CGS, other? Do they come in a Frac rack, with power supply? All these things affect the price. Along with your decision to sell as a complete unit or to sell each module individually. And build quality.
monstrinho
Rob_C wrote:
And build quality.

This.

Probably the biggest reason Paia systems don't go for more is that buying someone else's DIY project is kind of a gamble unless you know something about the skills of the person who built it (or have lots of detailed photos to judge by). I don't recall seeing a 9700S go for more than $500 on Ebay over he past few years, usually quite a bit less.
meese200
Rob_C wrote:
Alright, I'll bite. My opinion only.

The $300 system price, shipped, was a really good deal and had the effect of selling quickly, and the seller did not have to pay a fee to Ebay. A couple of other 9700S systems have sold (Ebay and Electro-Music) for about $360.00 give or take some, for a standard configuration. The $800 price is much too high so I wonder if there was more to it than just the standard modules or perhaps someone paid someone for assembly.

You didn't specify the brand of the "ton of other modules" you built. Blacet, PAIA, Metalbox, CGS, other? Do they come in a Frac rack, with power supply? All these things affect the price. Along with your decision to sell as a complete unit or to sell each module individually. And build quality.

By 'built a ton of modules' I meant I have everything the Paia row does in eurorack diy so was thinking of getting rid of it to fund other ventrues.

I figured the price wasn't going to be so great I'll just keep it then. Thanks!
Kyhotay
Being a PAiA Phan I would say that it is highly unlikely that you could sell a built-out kit for more than the kit sold for. The nice thing about the first gen 9700 modular is that each modules has high density functionality. The trick to improving it is to do the 9730 mods and careful tuning of the 9720. I replace the trimmer pots with better quality parts for easier tuning and easily get a 5-6 octave accurate tuning range.
Rob_C
Kyhotay wrote:
I replace the trimmer pots with better quality parts for easier tuning and easily get a 5-6 octave accurate tuning range.

That sounds like a simple and good idea. Probably multiturn pots would work better than standard trimmers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1