MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

realistic TR-909 Font for free!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author realistic TR-909 Font for free!
AssistiveListening

So.. I vectorised the TR-909 Logo for a friend's DIY... decided to do the "rhythm composer".. and finally added some more character and made a font.

All the missing characters are interpreted. (Thanks to some help from you guys I was able to find most of the letters.)

The fonts are available for desktop & web (ttf, otf, svg, eot, woff)

Download it from dafont.com or use the attachment in this post (includes web-fonts)
PREVIEW:

Plop
Neat! I have the other one but this one looks indeed better. Downloading now, thanks SlayerBadger!
Here is a screenshot with the other one for comparison, yours is definitely better:

Paradigm X
very cool sir!

many thank for sharing your hard work!
horstronic
That's awesome!
nicolas
Cool, thanks for sharing!!
scriptstyle
SlayerBadger!
emdot_ambient
thumbs up

Anyone know what font is used on this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yNA62hgcWDg/TSd3AHmZZhI/AAAAAAAAB6E/qajrBD6C Y6w/s1600/Zeta1.jpg

I've been toying with doing a single oscillator mono synth called Zeta One. Really would like to use that font.
Plop
emdot_ambient wrote:
thumbs up

Anyone know what font is used on this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yNA62hgcWDg/TSd3AHmZZhI/AAAAAAAAB6E/qajrBD6C Y6w/s1600/Zeta1.jpg

I've been toying with doing a single oscillator mono synth called Zeta One. Really would like to use that font.

I have to identify fonts quite a lot so I gave it a go and found it screaming goo yo
Amelia typeface
emdot_ambient
Plop wrote:
I have to identify fonts quite a lot so I gave it a go and found it screaming goo yo
Amelia typeface

Sweet! Thanks!
dougt
Plop wrote:
Neat! I have the other one but this one looks indeed better. Downloading now, thanks SlayerBadger!
Here is a screenshot with the other one for comparison, yours is definitely better:

The other one (on the bottom) is closer to the original font Roland used if anyone cares... .
AssistiveListening
@dougt if you think the bottom one is closer, what are your reasons?
The "Y" and the "S" are completely different than the orignal, so you can't even write "rythm composer" in the correct "optic".

I actually traced the original letters so you could create an almost perfect copy of the logo with my set.

anyways, I'm always open to criticism.

BTW. I'm already working on a second version. maybe if you give some feedback, I can change some stuff.
emdot_ambient
AssistiveListening wrote:
...you can't even write "rythm composer" in the correct "optic"...

Wasn't this font only used on the "TR-909" and "Rythm Composer" text on the original?

If so, all the other letters are up for interpretation. The biggest difference between the two are the handling of the letter "A". Big difference there, but neither one of them are more or less correct unless there's a place where Roland actually used that letter.
consumed
thanks for the fonts!
for reference:

gwaidan
Hey awesome work!

Just wanted to say, there are other devices from about the same period using the same font that could fill in gaps-the one that sprang to mind was the SBX-80 Sync Box.....possibly the GR-700 and GR-77B as well, but the MSQ700 seems to use an earlier revision of the font.

Lotsa good pics here http://www.rvgm.site90.net/
emdot_ambient
gwaidan wrote:
Just wanted to say, there are other devices from about the same period using the same font that could fill in gaps-the one that sprang to mind was the SBX-80 Sync Box.....possibly the GR-700 and GR-77B

Good call! And the "A" is closer to the bottom one.
AssistiveListening
Thx @gwaidan. That helps a lot. I will try to find all the letters (already found a lot more thx to the link)
Paradigm X

gives you a 7!

oh and a 2;

This article has links to all the products roland released all years, a goldmineof googlopportunityâ„¢.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec04/articles/roland.htm
AssistiveListening
So there seem to be different fonts used. A slimmer font (very similar to the "other"-roland font) and a bold one (the one I copied) and a normal weight font (also similar to mine).

Yet none of them seem consistent

I found quite a few manuals that use the slimmer font and I gotta say "the other font" is a pretty good copy.

I wonder why the fonts are so different ("Y" and "S" are nothing alike in the thin and bold font)

In general I have found 4 different "A"s. Two in the slim and two in the bold version.
gwaidan
I would say, given the pre-desktop publishing era, that some of these could have been hand-drawn by graphic designers to order, hence slight irregularities. It's also possible that the typeface could have gradually evolved-the lighter weight typeface looks more late 80s/D-50 era to me.

Just had a another thought-if you want to stick closely to the typeface circa 1983/4 a good source would be the early MKS rack modules and their programmers....

AssistiveListening
So I found all letters except for the
"W"
"V"
"K"

Since I only found the "Q" together with the 1983/4's "A" (the rounded one) I will probably use that one.

I already did a 2nd version of the font (only missing x,y,z) but I guess I'll have to redo some of them.

I filtered them after a comparison. The ones in the image are the ones that I guess are really legit. So down to 13 again wink. This time with a few good sources. thumbs up

grentel
Glad you found some different A's.
Paradigm X
Whats the Actualy 'Roland' Font, and also the 'R' logo,

I was thinking of making a clone with 'Fauxland' on the back Om

great thread ta

AssistiveListening
V2 is almost done

Still missing following letters: K V W
Still missing following numbers: 4 5 6

So if anybody finds those letters/numbers it would be awesome if you could post an image or a link.

Preview
(Numbers not redone yet)
emdot_ambient
Wow, that's looking really good thumbs up
AssistiveListening
new numbers

So only missing: 4 5 6 K V W

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3