MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Author Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)
Mend
Noob question here. I've recently bought the Erogenous Tones VC8. Love it. I'm patching oscillator 1 & 2's outputs from the Shapeshifter to channel 1 and 2 on the VC8. I'm sending the output of the submix of these channels into the Belgrad filter. I've noticed that when I crank up the levels in VC8's channel 1 and 2 it sounds more dirty and distorted. I really love that sound. With Belgrad on top of that it makes for some really dirty squelchy acid.

Just wondering if cranking up the levels to make things sound distorted on the VC8 can do damage in some way. I'm guessing not, but I just want to make sure. Is there such a thing as 'too loud' in terms of audiolevels in VCA's (or any circuitry in Eurorack for that matter)?
helix
Thanks for these! Just got into the game this week, and some of these videos (although i've been researching and contemplating for a good 3 years) have cleared up a few terms for me and helped simplify things!

Nice one, very much appreciated smile Rockin' Banana!
w1awb
This thread has been super helpful. Especially the videos. I learned something crucially important from the VCA video just this morning. And I thought I understood VCAs fine. Thanks!
FIGXXRO
Those videos are a godsend.. great work
Noisepan
TL:DR Looking for input if Ill be able to accomplish what I want to accomplish, and if there are glaring things Im missing in the rack I made

Welp Ive decided to jump into modular, mostly because I feel restricted by my current synths and Mylarmelodies' video of the Intellijel Metropolis sold me.

SO here's what I've come up with (getting a 2x104hp case with power)

THE RACK: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/472921

This is kind of the vein of music I'm going for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jklxdXgHDH4 (note the noise based percussion, skip to 3:13)

For reference, I have a Studio Electronics Boomstar that I will integrate into this system, as well as a mixer. I am selling most of my other equipment.

The first module I want to get is the metropolis, as Ill be able to sequence the boomstar and it just looks so fun. From there, I'll pick up modules as I see them pop up used.

I guess what Im looking for is if Im missing things in this system. Ive read about quantizers and all sorts of utility modules but Im not really sure how things interact in eurorack. Im looking to have a "all in one" techno box, with minimal percussion (really just a base drum and clap).

The rest of percussion I hope to get from noise(white/pink), playing with attacks and release on the envelopes sequenced by the varigate.

I feel like im missing voices, something to create background pads etc. I dont want a module that will require me to use samples, I hate samples and just like pure synthesis.

I will want to play the boomstar with my keyboard once the rack is full, leaving the eurorack for the background. My idea was having the pressure points changing root notes/patterns on the metropolis on top of controlling other parts of the rack. Also lots of intellijel because their stuff seems to fit with what Im trying to do and be very useful.

Thank you for taking the time to read my rambling and help me out!
flx
I'm not seeing a mixer in there apart from the Quad VCA. Also, I'd add more VCAs maybe. But really, just start slow and don't buy all of that at once and you will see what's missing or how you actually use everything together.
MoogCloud
I’ve bought and sold sequencers but my Metropolis is a keeper. I was really able to open that sequencer up with modulation from my Batumi. I know the Disting has some LFO capability but it is quite limited compared to the Batumi. Move slow and learn and you will be rewarded.

It's peanut butter jelly time!

Moog This is fun!
synkrotron
MoogCloud wrote:
I’ve bought and sold sequencers but my Metropolis is a keeper. I was really able to open that sequencer up with modulation from my Batumi. I know the Disting has some LFO capability but it is quite limited compared to the Batumi. Move slow and learn and you will be rewarded.

Agree with this 100%

Metropolis is an awesome hands on sequencer especially when you start modulating the aux inputs.

I don't have Batumi yet but it is on my radar...
MoogCloud
synkrotron wrote:
MoogCloud wrote:

Agree with this 100%

Metropolis is an awesome hands on sequencer especially when you start modulating the aux inputs.

I don't have Batumi yet but it is on my radar...

I did not realize how useful the Batumi was until I got it and explored it for a while. Not only do you have those multiple wave form LFO outputs, but you have four different modes with which to use all of those wave forms. Then, its a real trip to modulate the Batumi with output from the Batumi! It then becomes a transcendental space-time-sound machine.
Then I had to buy a second Batumi. Guinness ftw!
IDKWhatImDoing
Accidentally put a comment on the wrong tab, lol very new to this, sorry d'oh!
Chozal
I don't think it warrants its own thread but - when modulation is applied to a cv in of a mutable module, do we agree that the knob does not work as an attenuator, but that the modulation is ADDED to the current position of the knob ? Thanks !
flx
Chozal wrote:
I don't think it warrants its own thread but - when modulation is applied to a cv in of a mutable module, do we agree that the knob does not work as an attenuator, but that the modulation is ADDED to the current position of the knob ? Thanks !

I don’t have any Mutable modules, but that can indeed be the case. Sometimes the knobs will apply an offset. VCAs and Filters have this behavior too if they don’t have specific CV attenuators. You can however still route your CV through an attenuator module (or AC-coupled VCA), to scale it before entering the Mutable module smile
Chozal
Thanks flx smile (love your channel btw !)

Is there any difference between "the knob applies an offset" and "the knob is the starting point of the modulation ?"
flx
Chozal wrote:

Is there any difference between "the knob applies an offset" and "the knob is the starting point of the modulation ?"

You could say it both ways, but “offset”, which simply means an addition, is more precise. So the offset value is added to the CV value. Offsets don’t have to be only positive though. Some modules allow bipolar offsets and of course CV can also be negative. So you could set an offset knob to +5V and add -2V CV, which results in an output of +3V.

If you haven’t seen this already, check out video #5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtKO84CW6kU
Chozal
Alright, that makes sense smile thanks !
Diskette
Thanks for this, very helpful!
mister_wavey
but thank you, I loved this series.
LazyCircuit
Long time lurker here. I saw powered cases by Ikocase super cheap on reverb and etsy. Is there a reason they don’t get mentioned much on the forum?
cwhoffman
These videos are super helpful for a noob, thank you
flx
LazyCircuit wrote:
Long time lurker here. I saw powered cases by Ikocase super cheap on reverb and etsy. Is there a reason they don’t get mentioned much on the forum?

The Ikocases look good and are reasonably priced, but they aren't "unique" in any way, so that's why there probably isn't much buzz around them. There seem to be so many small case manufacturers nowadays that compete for attention. Still, those Ikocases are probably just as good for studio use, as the Doepfer LC series.
LazyCircuit
flx wrote:
LazyCircuit wrote:

The Ikocases look good and are reasonably priced, but they aren't "unique" in any way, so that's why there probably isn't much buzz around them. There seem to be so many small case manufacturers by nowadays that compete for attention. Still, those Ikocases are probably just as good for studio use, as the Doepfer LC series.

Thanks. The 3u Iko will probably be my modular starting point.
flx
LazyCircuit wrote:

Don’t buy too small. I’d really go with 6U. It is a good size that fits enough modules to make the system a self-contained instrument, without the need to have too much outboard gear. Of course it depends on what you want to do with it, but still, 6U is somewhat of a magic number when it comes to case sizes, because it’s flexible but not too huge.
JayEm
LazyCircuit wrote:
flx wrote:
LazyCircuit wrote:

The Ikocases look good and are reasonably priced, but they aren't "unique" in any way, so that's why there probably isn't much buzz around them. There seem to be so many small case manufacturers by nowadays that compete for attention. Still, those Ikocases are probably just as good for studio use, as the Doepfer LC series.

Lol. I just bought one myself last Saturday. Same story - been on the fence for years and finally dipping my toe.

Now I just need to think about what modules to put in it.
nru
Thanks for this usefull topic cool
ogg_v
First post! Thanks for being a great resource. I've lurked here for quite some time but I think it's time to dive in.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 14 of 16