MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is there a 5U equivalent of the Doepfer Mini Case?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Is there a 5U equivalent of the Doepfer Mini Case?
jonkull
If I wanted to house two 5U modules with no room for further expansion what would my options be? I'd like to put a Modcan Dual Quantizer and Clock in a small case to use with my Klee.

This is the Doepfer Mini Case: http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/minicase/
ach_gott
Keep in mind that this would be 4U of modules. I would just contract a case with a local carpenter and install Bridechamber rails (you would have 6U of space and hence room for one more double-width module). Then just buy an MOTM-900 kit. They're very easy to assemble.
jonkull
Thanks. I'll look into that.
bwhittington
That's 3U of modules, actually. The smallest case I am aware of is one listed by Moon on the noisebug site, which may actually just be a rack enclosure. The simplest/cheapest ready-made option would be rack rails, though they would only be 30% full. The best option would be building a small case yourself, as mentioned above.

Cheers,
Brian
ach_gott
bwhittington wrote:
That's 3U of modules, actually.

He's right, I had the wrong image of the Modcan clock in my head.
consumed
sounds like a job for nice-racks.com
or you can buy my modcan rack for $125 shipped, since you know you're going to get more modcan anyway grin
(and the rack comes with its own power distro board)
jonkull
consumed wrote:
or you can buy my modcan rack for $125 shipped, since you know you're going to get more modcan anyway grin

Funny. Nice-racks built my dotcom style euro case and my Klee case and will be building a 9U euro case to house my loose Schroff racks. I guess I can ask him about this as well.

Is your rack an actual stand alone case or is it something that would need to go into a case...if you know what I mean?
consumed
jonkull wrote:
consumed wrote:

Funny. Nice-racks built my dotcom style euro case and my Klee case and will be building a 9U euro case to house my loose Schroff racks. I guess I can ask him about this as well.

Is your rack an actual stand alone case or is it something that would need to go into a case...if you know what I mean?

it is a 19" rack system
http://modcan.com/B-rack.html
synthetic
There is a dearth of 5U cases. The only one I know of is the Dotcom 22- and 44-space cabinets, which can have MOTM rails installed. And... that's all she wrote.
ach_gott
synthetic wrote:
There is a dearth of 5U cases. The only one I know of is the Dotcom 22- and 44-space cabinets, which can have MOTM rails installed. And... that's all she wrote.

Nice racks will do them... they even had a page dedicated to it for a time, but now it's a custom job. Bridechamber used to do 24U cabinets. That's what mine are. They're nice.
JohnLRice
Bigger than the OP is looking for but MOS-LAB has a nice little 8U wide portable rack:

http://www.mos-lab.com/

Of course I'm always pimping the EWI Tourcase racks! thumbs up
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/RUE-10_series_rack_cases/R6UE- 10/R6UE-10_cutsheet.shtml

Actually, you could take one of their 2U high racks (or any ones for that matter) and stand it on end and make a special mounting rails in the middle so you could mount 4 1U MOTM, 2 1U and 1 2U MOTM or 2 2U MOTM.

synthetic
The MOS-LAB stuff is sexy. Seems crazy to import a wood box from Europe to the US though.
Henfield
That MOS-LAB case and modules does look very good! What voltage and power connectors do they use? I could not find this information on their site, but I love the Model 8A portable system!
Luka
go custom, so much more fun
not too hard

i built a few of these for some friends last year

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1