MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Getting Moon Modular system/question about case
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Getting Moon Modular system/question about case
Nelson Baboon
I'm psyched. I've worked out a deal for a bunch of moon modular stuff....

Now, this whole format is new to me. Be gentle, because when it comes to the common sense side of this stuff, I'm pretty dumb, and when it comes to building anything myself, well, forget it.

The moon modular cases seem very expensive, so I'd prefer to go cheaper. the synthesizers.com cases seem considerably cheaper, but what I'm wondering is whether it's feasible to rack this stuff with psu and rails? What would I need to get? He implies on the synthesizers.com site that you have to build something for the power supply?

I'm also totally unsure, from looking at the moon stuff, how many units they each take up, and how much space I'll need (it's looking like I'll probably be getting most of the modules). I also want to combine some of the stg sequencing stuff into this setup, and I'm not sure whether it will 'fit' right in....

I'd appreciate all the advice I can get here...again - don't start giving my diy instructions, etc, and assume that I am pretty thick when it comes to case/power/electronics, etc. But I'd like to have an idea what to order as soon as I can.

thanks.
ach_gott
droolmaster0 wrote:
The moon modular cases seem very expensive, so I'd prefer to go cheaper. the synthesizers.com cases seem considerably cheaper, but what I'm wondering is whether it's feasible to rack this stuff with psu and rails? What would I need to get? He implies on the synthesizers.com site that you have to build something for the power supply?

All you need is rack rails and, depending on the current draw of the modules you've purchased, a QPS2 or maybe the 1.5 amp supply.

I find the .com power pages rather confusing myself, but you won't be doing anything other than plugging things in, it's just a matter of figuring out which componenets to purchase.

droolmaster0 wrote:
I'm also totally unsure, from looking at the moon stuff, how many units they each take up, and how much space I'll need (it's looking like I'll probably be getting most of the modules). I also want to combine some of the stg sequencing stuff into this setup, and I'm not sure whether it will 'fit' right in....

It will indeed fit right in. Each screw on one side of a module = 1MU. 8 MU fit in the QCR8 rack frame. (Notice that for the 569, it's actually 6MU, the 563 is 4MU from the looks of it, but for smaller modules that relationship will hold true.)

Edit: I have corrected the width from 5MU to 4MU. Apologies for any confusion.[/b]
Nelson Baboon
ach_gott wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:

All you need is rack rails and, depending on the current draw of the modules you've purchased, a QPS2 or maybe the 1.5 amp supply.

I find the .com power pages rather confusing myself, but you won't be doing anything other than plugging things in, it's just a matter of figuring out which componenets to purchase.

droolmaster0 wrote:

It will indeed fit right in. Each screw on one side of a module = 1MU. 8 MU fit in the QCR8 rack frame. (Notice that for the 569, it's actually 6MU, the 563 is 5MU from the looks of it, but for smaller modules that relationship will hold true.)

MU stands for? Do these correlate to the units in the cases?

In any case, if there really is nothing special I need to do with the psu (?), then it looks like I'll save a bunch of money and that this would be the way to go.
ach_gott
MU = Moog Units, an STG invented term for 1 module width of the Moog form factor. These, alas, do not correspond to U (so 8MU fit in 10U as in a standard 10U rack).

Nothing special with the power supply and the Moon modules come with a .com power connection (a .1 6 pin MTA connector) so you'll be set.
Nelson Baboon
This was the passage that I wondered about - what exactly is he referring to...

"Rack frames providing mounting in an industry-standard 19" rack cabinet. When building a rack frame synthesizer, a power supply and DC cable harness must be mounted in the user-supplied cabinet behind the panel. On rack systems, it is UP TO YOU to enclose the power system and prevent access to dangerous voltages! "
chromium
You could handle putting together the doctom power components. They make it pretty easy - everything is already wired up with connectors, and you just plug it all together.

I'm using the following for a 66-space setup:

In the 44-space cabinet-
1) The power supply itself. All you have to do with this is screw it down inside the cabinet - http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html#qps1 (note that theres a 1.5A or 3A version)

2) The Q137 module that provides mains connection, a power switch, and an external connector to distribute the power to additional cabs. This unit connects to the power supply above via molex connector - http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html#q137

3) The wiring harness used to distribute DC power to the modules. This plugs into the back of the Q137 - http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html#qdh

In the 22-space cabinet-
1) A Q103 "DC Interface Module". This connects via an external cable to the 44-space cabinet, and it distributes DC power from the power supply above into this cabinet - http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html#q103

2) DC Interconnect cable - this connects the Q103 in the add-on cabinet, to the Q137 in the main cabinet, and distributes the power from the main power supply - http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html#qic

3) Another wiring harness for the add on cab, used to distribute power to the modules. This plugs into the back of the Q103 - http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html#qdh
JohnLRice
droolmaster0 wrote:

"Rack frames providing mounting in an industry-standard 19" rack cabinet. When building a rack frame synthesizer, a power supply and DC cable harness must be mounted in the user-supplied cabinet behind the panel. On rack systems, it is UP TO YOU to enclose the power system and prevent access to dangerous voltages! "

Congrats on the pending cool system! applause

This is what I did (DIY PSUs) but you could just bolt your dotcom PSU to the bottom of the cabinet and then put a rack frame in back for the power modules and then fill all the empty spaces with blank panels and vent panels:

ach_gott
droolmaster0 wrote:

Oh, right on. Ok, so let's say you have one of these:
http://www.nice-racks.com/Nice_Racks_Economy_Racks-10U_Econo_Series.ht ml
and you've bought the rack frame and screwed some modules onto it.

So laying on the desk behind this you have a QPS1:
http://www.synthesizers.com/q101.html#qps1

That's quite dangerous. (This is not the case with the QPS2, obviously, since it's a wallwart.) Ideally, you'd stick it all in an enclosed cabinet where you're not able to touch it or have your cat check it out, etc. That power supply has to be tucked away where you can't get to it somehow.
Nelson Baboon
shit....I'm really not handy with this end of things...I think I'll need a psu for more than 8 modules, so I'll be needing one of the bigger power supplies.
bwhittington
Don't forget that STG is about to begin offering those nice 24U cases with psu and power distribution options. That sounds nice and turn-key for you.

I haven't read the entire thread, but screwing the psu into a rack and putting a vent panel on the back like John did seems like another simple fix. A child could connect the Dotcom power components. They make it pretty idiot-proof. It's scarcely more complicated than plugging in your Serge psu. If that's not your thing, you could always offer someone a few bucks to assemble a case for you.

If you aren't using a wooden rack, surely there are suitable enclosures that would fit the psu in the DIY world? Wouldn't any kind of non-conductive box with a hole for the cables work?

Cheers,
Brian
paults
When you add your MOTM modules, get a MOTM-995. It's takes a .com power connector and then 'fans out' to 10 MOTM connectors.
Nelson Baboon
Oh - that is good info. He's slow on the emails though. I'll try to shout to get his attention.

You see, pathetic as it is - "putting a vent panel on the back" causes "aiyeee". I'm just pretty damn incompetent when it comes to that stuff. If the power connections are as easy as Serge/Modcan/euro/frac then I'm fine there...

I will have a bunch of roadready case space available, which would be the ideal solution, but I'm just not sure that I can secure the psu like you're supposed to. Hell, I have no sense of direction either....I think that there is something wrong somewhere in my brain - I always used to do really well on aptitude tests, until it got to spatial relations.
Nelson Baboon
paults wrote:
When you add your MOTM modules, get a MOTM-995. It's takes a .com power connector and then 'fans out' to 10 MOTM connectors.

Hi Paul....you know, this will give me an excuse to buy some of your modules finally. Not that I haven't heard great things about them, and I already have the 650 and some utility modules - but this is good. I just haven't really branched out into this format at all. Thanks. For right now though, I'll just leave my 650/910/940/950 where they are....
paults
You will want the 5U version of the Morphing Terrarium Rockin' Banana!
Nelson Baboon
yeah. I think you're right. I've been wanting some of your modules for a long time. I also want that cloud fucker, whatever it's called - I forget, and some of the earlier stuff. I've just had people whom I respect rave about the quality of your modules to me, so this has always been in the back of my mind. Unfortunately, being into multiple formats increases the likelihood that I'll devolve into a life of crime, but hell, we're all going to die anyway.
essex sound lab
droolmaster0 wrote:
I'm psyched. I've worked out a deal for a bunch of moon modular stuff....

Welcome to 5U Land!

Good to have you here. thumbs up
bwhittington
droolmaster0 wrote:
If the power connections are as easy as Serge/Modcan/euro/frac then I'm fine there...

It might even be easier. The Dotcom stuff has a different type of connector for each connection, so it's pretty much impossible to plug something in incorrectly. You will totally be okay.

I travel with Road Ready cases all the time. I would suggest drilling through the plywood bottom and mounting the psu with bolts. Any screw small enough for that thickness is way too short to support the weight of the psu. This I learned the hard way! Plenty of people have cases that are open in the back with the psu exposed. You wouldn't be the first, but those vent panels are a nice touch.

See this thread for the STG cases.

Cheers,
Brian
Nelson Baboon
ugh - you don't understand. I've never done stuff like that. I would undoubtedly (or at least there would be a strong possibility) screw it up.

bwhittington wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
If the power connections are as easy as Serge/Modcan/euro/frac then I'm fine there...

It might even be easier. The Dotcom stuff has a different type of connector for each connection, so it's pretty much impossible to plug something in incorrectly. You will totally be okay.

I travel with Road Ready cases all the time. I would suggest drilling through the plywood bottom and mounting the psu with bolts. Any screw small enough for that thickness is way too short to support the weight of the psu. This I learned the hard way! Plenty of people have cases that are open in the back with the psu exposed. You wouldn't be the first, but those vent panels are a nice touch.

See this thread for the STG cases.

Cheers,
Brian
Nelson Baboon
oh - and it looks like the stg cases won't have psu's etc for awhile? I gotta have this thing setup soon, and I'm not into stressing out over drilling holes into stuff, etc.....I hate Wells Fargo. Maybe I'll just rob them.
essex sound lab
droolmaster0 wrote:
ugh - you don't understand. I've never done stuff like that. I would undoubtedly (or at least there would be a strong possibility) screw it up.

I know what you mean. Besides my main 5U rig, I have a bunch of 5U modules with a few different power connectors just sitting there waiting to be used. I keep thinking about various ways to build and mount a power supply (JLR's stuff is certainly inspiring!). But something (and sometimes that's just TIME) keeps me from doing it.

I'm hopeful that STGs new cases may do the trick for me, or at least get me close enough that I can resolve the rest.

I'm looking forward to his response on his case thread.

Gordon
Nelson Baboon
I'm going to have to threaten stg to make me a case with psu and everything in the next few days. I will have to enforce this somehow. I am not mob connected.
sandyb
sounds like you've got everything sorted by now, if you've managed to threaten stg suitably smile, but have a read of this sticky if you haven't already. lots of information on power distribution etc for 5U.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739

sandy
Nelson Baboon
Cool - that's a great resource. I'll have to print it out and look at it later...

I did manage to rouse S&T Guy from his slumber, and have made arrangements to order 2 (possibly one, but I think that I'll need 2) cases from him. That seems like the best solution at this point.
MindMachine
Congrats Droolmaster on your venture with the MoonModular. I have minimal construction skills and managed okay. I Purchased multiple Dotcom Wallwart Power Supplies for my system and while not the easiest most tidy way to go, it allowed me to grow one power supply at a time at a reasonable rate (each power unit is/was 90-100 USD). I have since grown from Dotcom modules/sequencers/ to add some custom Plan 'X', Bridechamber and stock a MOTM VCLFO. With the proper converter cord for the MOTM from Dotcom - all is cool. At first I glued wood for rails into a cutdown cardboard box (it worked just fine for what it was) and then bought plywood, cut and stained it and all is well. No wiring, etc w. the cheap Arrick wallwarts. I just clamp down the harness in the cabinet.
moonmodular
droolmaster0 wrote:
(Notice that for the 569, it's actually 6MU, the 563 is 5MU from the looks of it, but for smaller modules that relationship will hold true.)

The M563 is 4MU!!! We dont have 3 or 5MU! Only 1, 2, 4, 6MU and maybe in the future 8MU. 8_) You´ll find this info on every NB moon modul site. 8_)
e.g. M563 http://www.noisebug.net/site/effects/index.cfm?ID=163
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2