MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

modcan prices
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author modcan prices
haricots
Anyone notice the pretty big jump in the price of Modcan modules? Yikes. I own a couple but I can't keep up with these increases. eek! Thankfully MOTM modules are still reasonable.
jonkull
I wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not but everything seemed to be a lot more expensive than the last time I looked at the site.
ignatius
seems prices have gone up a bit on some modules. usually he posts on the user group about price increases.

i made an order a month ago for three A series modules and if i ordered it today it would be $150 more in total. so, average $50 per module based on those 3 modules.

don't know if that equates to the B series prices.
emdot_ambient
I've always thought thier prices were pretty high as it was...of course they do a lot of multi-function modules, so it's somewhat justified they be higher than other companies...but I can't afford them even at the old prices.
zerosum
It throws a bump in the road for my plans for sure, but I don't mind because its already one of those "one module a year plans" for me anyway.
It doesn't appear to be that much different than some Euro modules, and you get more for your money.
My eyes are still a bit glazed over that I don't really register the price, its more of a zombie mode of "OK what can I do to get that... Whatever it is I'll do that to get that...."

Get what you can in modcan that you can't get in other modules(or can't afford in other modules/modular formats), and fill in the rest with more affordable options.

I have a permanent future of frankensynth(Frac=fun,odd stuff, Dotcom= cheap utilities, modcan=the moon) just for the fact that I can't afford the system I really want, so I fill in the gaps with all the options out there.
Little of this, little of that...

In most cases, when prices increases happen, its due an increase in the workload(sales),
time is money, and when more time needs to be made to keep up with the workload, that time needs to be paid for.

It happens in the audio engineering world a lot too.
SynthBaron
I think it's kind of weird that Modcan is more expensive than MOTM now. At least MOTM has high quality pots to justify the price, lol.
zerosum

love
paults
While over the last 2 years the prices of most 'components' (ICs, resistors, caps, etc) have dropped, prices for electro-mechanical parts (jacks, switches, knobs, panels) have risen 40-50%. Reason: no one uses them in high volume anymore.

The knobs I use on MOTM were 62 cents each in 1997. Now they are $2.96ea Dead Banana

http://tinyurl.com/yzn9f2e

Even if I buy 10,000 at at time, the price is not what it was for *one* knob in 1997. It's a freaking KNOB, and this particular knob has been used on electronics equipment since *1968*.

I can buy a small, fast PIC microprocessor CHEAPER THAN A KNOB! I can buy a 66Mhz DSP chip with 32K FLASH, a stereo audio DAC and 3 12-bit ADCs for 90 cents more than a knob.
ignatius
SynthBaron wrote:
I think it's kind of weird that Modcan is more expensive than MOTM now. At least MOTM has high quality pots to justify the price, lol.

what pots does Bruce use on the modcan stuff? my A series pots are great. smooth, consistent and solid as hell... some of hte best pots on any gear i own. i don't own any MOTM so can't compare.

i was surprised how wiggly the pots are on the MATHS, QMMG. kind of a surprise. when i pulled them out of the box i thought they might be broken but they are all like that. not like i'm gonna gig w/it but still...

anyway - i figure price increases have to do w/component increases and general production price increases and maybe the US vs canadian dollar adds in to modcan increased prices as well?

any way ya cut it boutique anything is not going to be inexpensive.
drewtoothpaste
It looks like prices went up about 10%, I was hoping to pick up some more Modcan B and MOTM early next year so I've been keeping an eye on it.
Synth.com prices also went up last year, by about the same amount.

I've been out of DIY for a few years but the shortage of mechanical parts makes sense. Most consumer goods don't use knobs or pots at all.

And Ignatius - yeah, pots and jacks on Modcan, synth.com and MOTM are all great quality, never had a single mechanical issue with any modules by those three manufacturers, which is sadly not the standard in Eurorack.
ach_gott
ignatius wrote:

what pots does Bruce use on the modcan stuff? my A series pots are great. smooth, consistent and solid as hell... some of hte best pots on any gear i own. i don't own any MOTM so can't compare.

Alphas.
AnalogAssailant
Agreed with all who have noticed. I saw this the other day and thought "Damn, how high can they (modules) go".

I really like bruce and his modules (A series for me) but he's at the max, if not already eeked over, price point that i am willing to shell out for.

Ah hell who am i BS'ing, i will find a way to buy that FUN module when it finally surfaces.
ignatius
AnalogAssailant wrote:
Agreed with all who have noticed. I saw this the other day and thought "Damn, how high can they (modules) go".

I really like bruce and his modules (A series for me) but he's at the max, if not already eeked over, price point that i am willing to shell out for.

Ah hell who am i BS'ing, i will find a way to buy that FUN module when it finally surfaces.

i thought my A series was done growing as well. got into some metal box (love them) and then a used A series case came up here and i jumped on it. glad i did because a couple modules came up used here that i had always wanted.. and now Bruce has new stuff coming out and i have space for it. though it'll be a while before the new modules come out in A series.

whenever i start to think "damn, that's just too much for one module" i think how much 1 EQ costs in 500 series or how much buchla/serge/wiard costs (though there are differences in functional density) and i'm usually able to rationalize a new module. Mr. Green

plus, w/bruce's stuff it's always top quality. i'm really attached to modcan at this point.

but, after i get the 3 modules i ordered last month i'll only have 2 spaces left and i'm in no hurry.

regarding pots: the only ones in euro that i've noticed being wobbly are the makenoise ones. all the other euro modules i have at least "feel" solid and smooth to turn especially the Asys and tiptop ones..
science
Ouch... maybe I shouldn't have held off on ordering Modcan A modules to keep my VC Tabla company waah
dude
yeah it is a bummer but it is worth it in my book. the biggest sadness came when along with the price hike, he offed the old analog quad lfo. i was literally trying to buy one from him that fucking day. but i did put in an order for a 66b control last night. i just couldn't resist. he told me his wait list is longer than it has ever been. he couldn't even give me a delivery time line beyond may-ish which is at least twice his normal wait i think. he said he had 500 modules to build before mine. fucking 500! he is super busy and the prices reflect it.
Funky40
dude wrote:
he couldn't even give me a delivery time line beyond may-ish which is at least twice his normal wait i think. he said he had 500 modules to build before mine. fucking 500! he is super busy and the prices reflect it.

as paul sayed: jacks and especially pots went up dramatically the last 2 years.
Not shure but one thing seemed to be 150% up. (header i guess )
i use btw. the same Knobs as Modcan ------> dramatical increasment of the price.
Guess those 10% reflect just this
drewtoothpaste
Well, shit, if he's backlogged into May then that's awesome for Modcan, and surprising that he only raised prices 10%.
doctorvague
dude wrote:
yeah it is a bummer but it is worth it in my book. the biggest sadness came when along with the price hike, he offed the old analog quad lfo. i was literally trying to buy one from him that fucking day. but i did put in an order for a 66b control last night. i just couldn't resist. he told me his wait list is longer than it has ever been. he couldn't even give me a delivery time line beyond may-ish which is at least twice his normal wait i think. he said he had 500 modules to build before mine. fucking 500! he is super busy and the prices reflect it.

WOW. When I first ordered from him it was about 1 month wait. The last time (a couple of months ago) it was 2 months. Now 5 months??? Just curiosity but I wonder how many people he has working for him. I guess what's amazing is he keeps coming up with new designs through all that! I was thinking lately that his prices had gone up again but don't keep exact tabs so I wasn't sure. I was looking at the Dual Frequency shifter and had some sticker shock at $770, although what does a Bode cost? I still had to stop and think "Geez, that is a lot of money for one module". My wife and I just bought a really nice 46" Samsung HDTV and Blue-ray DVD pkg for $879 for example. When I look at it like that it kind of freaks me out. It all depends on your $$ level of course and what your weakness is. This habit of ours is still probably cheaper than classic car restoration or owning airplanes or a bad coke habit.

There's no way to really compare, but it seems to me that Buchla is still pricier than Modcan just from casual observation (I don't own any Buchla). Seems like the most expensive stuff (Buchla, Modcan, Serge, Cwejman etc) has people lined up to buy it in droves, despite anyone's opinions on price points. We'll never know, but I'd love to see a comparison between say Buchla and Doepfer (just for an extreme example) in terms of gross $$, profit $$ and number of units sold. I realize that is apples and oranges of course.

I'm SO glad to have Roger Arrick building good basics like oscillators, mixers, VCA's etc etc. I really couldn't afford a system like mine in all Modcan or even MOTM I don't think, although I have choice pieces from both of them OR it would take 3-4 more years of piecing it together, at least in my case. I sold all my Frac and Euro stuff to go all 5U a little over a year ago. For me it's worked out well to buy the basics from Roger and then hand-pick the one of a kind modules (like MOTM 440, 650, Moon Modular trigger sequencer, Modcan VCDO) and fill in with those. I put Moon Modular in with Modcan more or less on price/quality - great modules, but Moon Modular's sequencer is nearly $2000 for example- even more than Modcan's (I paid $1674 for the Modcan). I'm NOT saying these are directly comparable, but still, Roger's 960 is what, $800? I certainly hand it to him on efficiency and keeping things as affordable as he possibly can, which is in his original mission statement.

If you had an ever-increasing line of people to buy your modules in spite of price hikes, would you just keep raising prices until the supply/demand equalized, or would you hire more people and try to do volume at a lower price point? That's a tough question, especially when you factor in quality control, but it is business to these guys after all and they are in it to make a profit, even if they love what they do. I can't say I blame them considering we are lined up and in many cases VERY anxious to hand them our money!

[/long rambling thoughts post]
Phil

PS
BTW Modcan has a new 68B Matrix filter. Well it was news to me anyway. $410 which is comparable with say a MOTM 440 at least price and build-quality wise.
SynthBaron
ignatius wrote:
SynthBaron wrote:

what pots does Bruce use on the modcan stuff? my A series pots are great. smooth, consistent and solid as hell... some of hte best pots on any gear i own. i don't own any MOTM so can't compare..

They were normal carbon Alpha's when I saw some B modules a few years ago. Which I'm perfectly fine with...

If you can charge more for less and still have a backlog, more power to you...lol.
Nelson Baboon
doctorvague wrote:
...I put Moon Modular in with Modcan more or less on price/quality - great modules, but Moon Modular's sequencer is nearly $2000 for example- even more than Modcan's (I paid $1674 for the Modcan). I'm NOT saying these are directly comparable, but still, Roger's 960 is what, $800? I certainly hand it to him on efficiency and keeping things as affordable as he possibly can, which is in his original mission statement....

It's funny, but I had a different reaction to the moon modular prices. Of course, I might be just telling myself that, because I've just worked out a deal for a large system - BUT - that sequencer looks mighty powerful to me, and the $1,925 looks rather reasonable. I've used a bunch of them....of course, you start plugging in the expansion modules, and it gets even more expensive, but I just didn't have that feeling that I was paying high end prices (well, technically a trade).
Nelson Baboon
Maybe I'm being naive, but are any of these manufacturers getting rich just off building modular synths? I suspect not. I think that Bruce does this full time (?) so I suspect he charges what he needs to in order to make a reasonable living.
drewtoothpaste
droolmaster0 wrote:
Maybe I'm being naive, but are any of these manufacturers getting rich just off building modular synths? I suspect not. I think that Bruce does this full time (?) so I suspect he charges what he needs to in order to make a reasonable living.

I don't think they're getting rich off it, no. The margins are small and these dudes are most likely working more than full time to get things done, especially if they're backlogged.

I own/run a business so my perspective is a little different, but selling anything is a shitload of 7-days-per-week work, and a constant battle to keep your customers happy. Even when your products are great, you offer free exchanges, your prices are fair, you ship as fast as possible, and you correspond personally with customers when there are problems, it's always walking a thin line between success (mild profit) and failure (bankruptcy.)

Some cats want to wear pants from Wal-Mart and think charging more than $8 is a ripoff. Other people like pants that fit well. It all boils down to how much you like pants, I guess.
SynthBaron
droolmaster0 wrote:
Maybe I'm being naive, but are any of these manufacturers getting rich just off building modular synths?

I don't even think Doepfer is getting rich off them. I think most self-employed people, including myself, work themselves to the point of making a comfortable middle-class living. If that means raising prices to curtail orders, so be it.
AnalogAssailant
Quote:
as paul sayed: jacks and especially pots went up dramatically the last 2 years.
Not shure but one thing seemed to be 150% up. (header i guess )
i use btw. the same Knobs as Modcan ------> dramatical increasment of the price.
Guess those 10% reflect just this

Aye, i don't think he's raising prices so he can run out and buy a Ferrari 599. Just the nature of the beast i suppose with respect to part prices jumping up and down.

Quote:
plus, w/bruce's stuff it's always top quality. i'm really attached to modcan at this point.
but, after i get the 3 modules i ordered last month i'll only have 2 spaces left and i'm in no hurry.

Totally agree, i too am hooked on modcan with only a 3 spots left to fill. So i suppose i don't need to worry too much.
ignatius
just to be clear. i've never been let down by any modcan purchase and when the modules show up i'm always happy and feel they are worth whatever i paid for them. in the end, a $30-$50 price increase isn't going to keep me away. but it's not like i have ever bought 10 modules at once or something. it's always been a few modules a year and it's been about 6 years now since i bought my first modcan module.

regarding wait times.. he's still pretty much delivering on a 2 month wait. he does get the big order in here and there and that can delay things sometimes but he is usually able to work in smaller orders around the big orders and keep delays to a minimum and he is always up front about what to expect which is the most important thing.

the only time i ever had to wait more than 4 months is when he had a 100+ module order for some rock stars. i think it's good to have a couple rock star clients don't you? Mr. Green those big orders keep the wheels turning and that's good for the rest of us. i think the B series really took off for him too.

i remember that thread on the wiard user group and a post grant made changing his ordering policy limiting the number of modules a person could order at once and at that time he stated (paraphrasing here) that if he didn't get another order he had enough work to keep him busy for 40 hours a week for 2 years. and this was after he essentially doubled his prices for some modules. weren't they $400 for some of them then they became $800?

side story.. remember that guy Arman van helden? house remixer? he did remixes for everyone in the 90's and charged $20k per remix. he was so tired of doing remixes and just wanted to work on his own music (which was hip hop illbient style stuff) that he told his agent to double his fee for remixes to $40K. he figured that would keep people away long enough for him to make his own record. it didn't and he said "oh, well. i guess i'll do these remixes for $40K each if people wanna pay for it". hmmm.....

long live nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2