MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Telephone GAME QUICK START GUIDE!! read!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Telephone GAME QUICK START GUIDE!! read!
loss1234
here is a tephone game QUICK START
manual is almost done:

anyway the 7 videos i have posted for the tel game (def watch 6,7,8) will show you the possibilities when WELL PATCHED / well applied

quick start :

honestly if you just patch it up like a regular sample and hold U ARE MISSING OUT!

but that's not what it's meant for

its meant to be used with a master clock driving it AS PART OF A TOTAL PATCH
take it's clock out and either drive a four-way divider (4ms) : or gate sequencer .(pamelas workout etc).. which you then use to trigger envelopes/vCA's(maybe 2 double andores) then you plug 3 , 4 or 5 VCO's into those VCA's .(into a mixer)
ok.....

now you plug the telephone games CV outs into those VCOS you set up!

all cv outs are fair game.

i often use stage 1 out for one synth line
5 out for the bass. (5 out has an attenuverter as does sum out)

and SUM out for a weird melody or trill line

note...sum out sounds VERY VERY different depending on how high feedback is up, AND how fast your clock is AND what mode (a or B) you are in AND how long of an envelope you use with your vca...too short and u wont hear trills!

before you know it you have like four interesting melodies going in time with your sequencers envelope/vca patterns as long as u set your envelopes properly...of things sound OFF make sure you are not using the clk out in 5 mode...thats meant for offset

also... Start in mode B
mode A is actually better for some types of music/tempo
but it might throw you off if working with a SLOOOOOW clock

other info:

SLEW OUT

(one more possible source of notes, filter sweeps, etc)

slew adds slew to either stage five out OR the output of the morph wave shaper. so u could use this AS your 5 out with the option to mess with portamento OR use it together with 5 out ( going into 2 different vcos ) with one with a lot of slew to get weird stereo or contrapuntal effects!!

or use the morph out for WEIRD stuff

. simply select source, plug into slew out and mess with slew knob. slew is at zero intensity all the way to the left .

( for audio waveshaping... feed in audio. feed in fast clock... turn the feedback knobs up and down and take audio out of the SLEW OUT with switch set to morph....works great on any source

ok

now ive lately been using the SLEW OUT as a filter cutoff modulation source....as your patterns change and you mess with slew knob...you can change your filter in fun ways

and setting the switches on the module will SHIFT/ skip all of your precious melodies at once (realtime crassssh.)

settings:

start with

MODE IN B
CLK OUT IN 1
slew on morph (if u wish...morph allows slew out to double as a very nice audio/cv waveshaper... especially with fast clks...but it will also work for the filter trick

ok .... i HIGHLY recommend feeding chaos brother X out into the SIGNAL input

with chaos at max and speed quite low, the chaos bro will help the tel game spit out endless variation!!

or plug in NOTHING and enjoy the built in white noise for truly random variation

instead of only thinking of this module as a type of analog memory device... think of it as a step sequencer. but instead of individual control over every nuance of each
" line" /cv out, you can only control feedback of every stage, feedback of the last stage. and u can cut out the input for a moment and have the output be the only input.

as far as setup,
its really no different than setting up 4 voices to be driven by a sequencer.

except you only need a gate sequencer or clock divider driven by the telephone game clk out to drive everything. you dont need individual tracks for your parts.

this may sound odd or like letting the module have too much say in your music, but thats sort of the point.

its not all you, its not all the machine.
you work together. and if u can feed the machine chaos all the better!!!
dropthedyle
perfect description and teasing !
w00t
loss1234
here is a useful step by step cheatsheet:TELEPHONE GAME---CHEAT Sheet!!!
by Snazzy Fx central

1.always start by putting a vco/ clock/etc into the clock input. (start with it pretty fast)
(get those LEDS CYCLING!!! but start with all the state/gate/button LEDS off!)

2.put a signal into the signal input....chaos works reallllllly well!!!! as does the built in (normalled) white noise. turn signal input to about 80-90 percent to start.
AND TURN ALL FEEDBACK POTS TO ZERO....SLEW KNOB TO ZERO.

3. IMPORTANT. SECTION********

...sending telephone game cv outs to your destinations.... dont use just one or two!!

the real fun starts when you get an orchestra of weird stuff going!!

take a CV out maybe start by using number five ....then you can play with attenuverter/level on the CV out.... keep plugging outputs into destinations! use at least 3 outs!!!

DONT FORGET TO SET 5/SUM ATTENUVERTERS TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT-----MIDDLE EQUALS ZERO OR NO SIGNAL!!!!!!!

then once you have plugged a few cv outs (i usually take the 1 out for melody, 5 out for bass, sum out for lead, the slew out(morph) to cv cutoff filter control (as you turn slew to right, cutoff will change) maybe #3 out for another parameter like delay time, vca level offset, chaos cv, etc, and 2 out can control yet another vco OR use it as a free jack to patch in and out of stuff while you build your set, and obviously white noise out for noise!

and remember....you are going to put these destinations through VCAS in a later step. you will then gate and ungate them using a divider or gate sequencer which is LOCKED to the telephone game. so in this sense the Telephone Game is a CV ONLY sequencer. it is not a gate sequencer. so once you get all your pitch and modulation cvs setup, you will want to get a bunch of gates going ( locked to the clk out of the telephone game) to trigger envelopes, vcas, etc.

PATCH IDEA NOTE: for feedback fun...try taking an unused CV out like 2 or 3 and plugging it INTO your source CLOCK or source SIGNAL cv in!!!

if you are using the chaos brother OR Dreamboat as your signal SOURCE ( both excel in the role of providing raw material to the telephone game) simply plug into the CV INPUT and experiment with how much to feedback!!!

Or for frantic fun...try using the SLEW OUT as the feedback CV....as you add more or less slew, the patterns will change

4.ok then, to keep it simple, put CLOCK MODE to B

5.and clock output toggle to the middle setting

6. dont plug anything into loop trigger jack----YET

7. USE THE CLK OUT JACK:

this STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT...SO WE CAN DRIVE ALL OUR GATING APPARATUS...VCAS, ENVELOPES, ETC...

there are a few approaches...the easiest and least module intensive is simply using a multiple out/multiple division clock divider ( the 4ms QCD IS SO GOOD FOR THIS!!) to take the telephone games clock out and make 4 trigger signals out of it....this would allow for driving 4 envelopes/vcas or at least 4 vcas!!

Another easy method a single gate sequencer ( pamelas workout, or many other gate sequencers are available) and using those gates to trigger envelopes which trigger vcas.

Whichever method you choose to create the gates (in time) with the clk out of the telephone game, you will either take those gates and directly drive vcas, or you will use an envelope to drive the vcas. ( dont forget that the Ardcore has a few great envelope sketches!)

depending on the vca, a gate on its own may suffice. ( some modules have built in vcas of some sort...for example the make noise DPO has a "strike" inout which allows a gate/trigger to open up the vco without any external vca or envelope. if only life were always that easy!!!!

so.....to refresh....taking the clock out of the telephone game you can either

A: drive a clck divider -----take the divisions out to trigger multiple envelopes (which ipen/close the vcos you just modulated with the TEL GAME OUts....this is key!!!

or

B: drive a gate sequencer!!

use that to gate your env/vcas

the key is getting your vcas opening/closing IN SYNC with the tel game clock out**********

note on clock out settings:

like all snazzy fx modules' this was made to be very flexible.
if you flip clk out all the way to the left its super fast!!
this is great for times where you want the telephone game to have rapidly triggering envelopes.

in the middle, the clk out will drive your gates at a much slower pace....usually better for times when you want the voltages to be held longer, creating more of an effect.

usually u want it in middle

to the right is OFFSET

great for stilted...weird...awkward feelings in a song...but put it in that mode by mistake and you might think you broke your module

also

always try clk mode B FIRST!!!

clk mode A HAS A DIFFERENT, lazier feel whuch works great for the SUM OUT
and for faster clocks.

MAKE SURE WHEN YOU USE 5 out or sum out that you dont leave the 5 out knob or sum out knob IN THE MIDDLE!!! (which is zero!!!)

as u get things set up

THEN start turning up feedback knobs

THEN start playing with adding another trigger to loop stored voltages

but remember the default setting is to have none of the loop LEDs turned on!!!!

if you start with Loop turned on you're going to be looping nothing!!

in other words you always have to make sure you have your signal gain turned up !

when a signal comes into the cells you really only want to turn turn loop on and off occasionally to have it loop for a bar or 4 bars but if you have it looping all the time it's going to turn into just a steady voltage

BASIC PATCH WITH DRUMS ADDED

make sure you have some drum modules. they dont need vcas so they are easy
simply have extra tracks on your gate sequencer driving them...your master clock will drive the telephone game and then that will drive your sequencer.

setup everything as above:

make sure you have a trigger/gate sequencer that has extra tracks (pamelas workout is good for this...plenty of tracks for your envelopes...plus tracks to
feedback INTO the master clock and into LOOP GATE input

set up a patch with a bunch of vcos being modulated by the 5, sum, and 2 cvs
also have the slew out going into a filter
maybe one for delay time on wow and flutter

Now also add a track on pamelas for kick
and another for hi-hat
maybe one for clap

this is a great way to set everything up because now you have

a basic beat
which is LOCKED to the clock out of your telephone game
if you used 3 or 4 cv outs to drive melodic vcos' then you also have a bass, and some other patterns.

you can mess with the feedback knobs to get things changing.
you can also mess with the switches
and the input
and feedback
and pitches
and attenuverters
and slew
etc

modification to this patch: (using LOOP)

maybe first try with button to get the feel of it

now...try this trick

take a track of pamelas workout and set it so that it sends out a gate only every once in a while. send this gate into THE LOOP GATE input

now the first trigger it receives
will START LOOPING THE FIVE CELLS

if you do it right, depending on where you place your gates, you can patches that evolve,than loop, then evolve, then loop, etc

there are so many other tricks

but more later!!!!

go patch it up!!!
the next trigger will kill the loop

help@snazzyfx.com
gonkulator
Please explain what exactly happens at the input. I am still very unclear on this.
Kingnimrod
looking forward to a complete manual - when is that coming?

I just picked this module up and am scratching my head a bit.
loss1234
just a quick note before i add
the graphic to the above manual

the input of the telephone game
acts just like a sample and hold input
so put in whatever you want....
changing the input gain effects everything!!

start with feedback knobs at zero
to find the best level

also with NOTHING plugged into input,
there is a built in white noise gen which is
automatically routed to the input!
gonkulator
Okay, thanks, I will go with that.
GaryInHuaHin
loss1234 sent me this latter writeup by email in response to my request for a manual. I pointed out to him that the text refers to features of the panel that don't seem to be there (CV Out 2. Can anyone find CV Out 2?) and that others are referred to inconsistently and confusingly (the 3-position switch labeled 'CLOCK [divide sign]' in particular.

I suggested that he try to clean up this applications-oriented text and add a reference section consisting of a 'ma'p of the panel features with a short description of each function and also a system block diagram. I think that would pretty well do it.

Let's hope for the best. Meanwhile I'll try to post as I sort out the functions of the beasty by reading, watching vids, and experimentation. Cool module.
Kingnimrod
I agree - I got the same writeup. At least a diagram with general description of what each input/output does would be helpful.
anti_climacus
loss1234 wrote:
just a quick note before i add
the graphic to the above manual

Any update on the graphic that explains the ins and outs? Thanks!
GGW
Yes, it sounds very interesting, but I'm not grasping what it's doing yet. Will there be a document that starts back a step or two so we can get oriented?
Kingnimrod
Amen
Kingnimrod
Hoping for an update on this - or maybe someone else can chime in and give a good overview/explanation.
nrdvrgr
+1 as mine is incoming tomorrow!!! Guinness ftw!
Kingnimrod
This is the problem with these dedicated sub forums and manufacturers that don't visit often to tend to questions. If this were posted in the euro forum ther would probably be some good activity on it.

I asked about getting a basic description of each knob's and jack's function but didn't get a reply other than what has been posted here.

Sort of bums me out.
nrdvrgr
Same issue here... I have got some fun stuff out of it, but it would be useful to just have a little overview; just briefly - what are the ins and outs and knobs and how do they work? I can take if from there... wink
Kingnimrod
I have had a bit of communication with Dan. I think a more comprehensive manual is coming soon.
nrdvrgr
Any news on this?
gonkulator
I edited and added some more observations (@Kingnimrod - I added the loop cycle issue as well)

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1565798#1565798
ignatius
gonkulator
Thanks, that should help prospects visualize the basic flow.
Glitchmachines
This thread has been helpful but....

Is a legitimate manual planned?
loss1234
there is a manual...email or PM for more info
loss1234
here are some of the graphics
loss1234
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2