MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

COTA in Frac
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author COTA in Frac
Acid Mitch
http://www.oakleysound.com/projects.htm states:
Quote:
Our Compact 3U range is designed for Euro sized modulars and Fractional Rack systems

But the Oakley filters all seem to be 5u.

Modular grid shows a COTA in Frac format (3u, 2hp).
http://www.modulargrid.net/f/other-unknown-cota-vcf

I would love a COTA in my frac rack.
To get to the point -

How easy (or hard ) is it to build the COTA into a frac panel ?
Like, does it still just mount to the back of the panel or what and do I need to do anything special to make it fit ?

Where do I get the front panel ?

Am I right in thinking it's the "1u" version displayed on modular grid ?
tIB
Nice choice! Be easy enough to DIY it- if you need a hand with the front panel design I know a man who can! Personally Id go for the 2 width: http://www.oakleysound.com/cota.htm
plord
I have a Frac COTA that krisp1 built for me some years back. It is a normal 3" wide Frac module with 2 inputs w/attenuation, 2 CV inputs (one positive, one bipolar), Feedback CV in (but no attenuator), and then BP, 24dB, and 12db outputs. The PCB mounts off the panel Blacet style and sticks out backwards, maybe about as far as a Blacet Osc.

I don't know if krisp1 still makes them in Frac; I suspect not. But perhaps he could help you with a panel file?
e-grad
I've built a few Oakley modules for Frac. To my experience any pcb that features 3 panel mounted pots will fit behind a Frac format faceplate.

The COTA pcb is 104mm (high). The clearance btn top and bottom mounting rails of a Blacet rack is 105mm. A PAiA rack should have slightly more clearance.

Quote:
The board size is 104 mm (high) x 112mm (deep)

http://www.oakleysound.com/cota.htm
krisp14u
I think I still have a Frac Panel somewhere for the COTA
It's the same as the one in modular grid link
not sure where it is but If I can find it I could build it up for you or even sell it as is send me a PM
synthcube
The more frac, the better.
krisp14u
synthcube wrote:

I had a go at getting Oakley out there in Frac but no one purchased it so I gave up
I still do the odd custom build in Frac but not as much as I used to
plord
I for one am extremely grateful for your efforts Paul. The COTA is a brilliant example of that particular filter topology and I love having it in the Frac/Wiard rig!
Acid Mitch
Thanks for all the answers.Much appreciated.

I've been flip flopping between diy and having one built.

My soldering is not good so I'm potentially costing myself more than just having one built.

I'd really like the front panel to be in Blacet style with knobs down the right and sockets on the left.
I'd also like the knobs to turn up/down like Blacet stuff , instead of left/right.

How come the frac COTA on modular grid has an input (knob and socket) missing ?
Acid Mitch
krisp14u wrote:
synthcube wrote:

I had a go at getting Oakley out there in Frac but no one purchased it so I gave up

That's unfortunate. I only just started my modular around Christmas.
Hardly anyone I've met has even heard of "frac".
My local synth shop tried to tell me the only modular formats you get are Euro and 500 format. seriously, i just don't get it
e-grad
Acid Mitch wrote:
My local synth shop tried to tell me the only modular formats you get are Euro and 500 format.

Basically all Frac manufacturers destribute their stuff on their own. Out of the top of my head only Analogue Haven stocked Blacet modules a while ago.
Acid Mitch
No wonder Euro is more popular then, if that's what's being actively promoted and is available, in stock, in most towns/cities.

I tried some Euro stuff at my local store and didn't like the panel layouts.
Even with all the cool modules, I'd still rather have Frac or a larger format.

If salesmen won't even admit 5u modules or Frac (or any of the other formats) exist, Euro is going to remain dominant.
e-grad
Acid Mitch wrote:
If salesmen won't even admit 5u modules or Frac (or any of the other formats) exist, Euro is going to remain dominant.

It might have changed by now however a couple of years ago I was told that 5U does not sale in Europe. There was no chance that the sales exceed the single digit rate. From a retailer perspective it was like selling unique specimen.
krisp14u
e-grad wrote:

It might have changed by now however a couple of years ago I was told that 5U does not sale in Europe. There was no chance that the sales exceed the single digit rate. From a retailer perspective it was like selling unique specimen.

this is how I found Frac

I sold to Analogue Heaven and I think Shawn still has some on the shelf eek!
e-grad
krisp14u wrote:
I sold to Analogue Heaven and I think Shawn still has some on the shelf

Sssssssssssssssooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddddddd!

Dead Banana

BTW How much it is for the COTA Frac panel you mentioned earlier this thread? Actually I should not add to my backlog but this is tempting.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1