MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

moon modular question 552 and sync
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author moon modular question 552 and sync
blz
ok so im trying to send the midi from the 552 out to a drum machine the acidlab maimi and i just cant get it to run the maimi at all any help maybe im missing something thats right in front of my face

thanks

and merry xmas
JohnLRice
Merry Christmas.

Do you have the MIDI channels set the same on both devices? Are you playing notes in the correct range for the drum machine to respond to? (often drum machines don't have sounds assigned to all 88 keys etc)

Just a couple guesses, I don't have a M552 . . . yet! ;-)
ach_gott
Also, are you trying to synch clockwise or gatewise (that is, do you have a pattern running on the miami or are you trying to hit the individual instruments with a note on)? 552 can't do gate. You may need an extra piece of equipment to remap an event like this one.
LesMoMo
Hi, I just had a look at the (online) manual of the Miami - you have to force it to "MIDI expander mode". Otherwise it will recognize MIDI clock information, only. Hope this helps.
Gert

blz wrote:
ok so im trying to send the midi from the 552 out to a drum machine the acidlab maimi and i just cant get it to run the maimi at all any help maybe im missing something thats right in front of my face

thanks

and merry xmas
blz
sadly that didnt work all it did was trigger the snare drum at whatever speed the clock was going at im wondering will a sync cable work with the output of a midi device sorry for the newbie question but the maimi has a midi which is only good at triggering the drums with a keyboard and the other two are sync in and out so for the 552 im wondering if a sync cable could send said signals

thanks
ach_gott
No. What note values are you sending out of the 552?
blz
im sending the 553 1/16 clock to the 552 then to the maimi
ach_gott
blz wrote:
im sending the 553 1/16 clock to the 552 then to the maimi

Ah well in that case you're doing it in reverse. Typically in your scenario you would use the Miami as the clock master, sending MIDI clock from it to the 553. The 553 doesn't generate a clock, it merely translates a MIDI clock into a voltage pulse for use on a sequencer or an EG or something else in the modular that takes a pulse..

The 552 is meant to take a voltage and turn it into a MIDI velocity (or other value). The limited MIDI implementation on the Miami means that using the 552 with it wouldn't be useful. (You could trigger random drums with it or something, but you can't control the Miami's instrument parameters from it.)

Hope that helps.
blz
ok wow that does help i feel pretty foolish now alright thanks again sorry for the newbieish question just got this system and i love it so thanks again sucks i cant run a midi clock into the maimi but oh well i guess ill have to improvise something to get everything to play nice

thanks again
suitandtieguy
what modules do you have?
ach_gott
It's my understanding that it's a somewhat difficult software solution to generate a MIDI clock from a series of pulses. The MIDI clock is a 96 ppq (pulses per quarter note) and with the variable timing of analog components, you'll have a hard time generating a rock-steady pulse.

The only thing I know of that does this, or claims to (not sure if anyone has yet played around with one) is the Innerclock Sync Lock.

Your 553 is perfectly capable of taking the clock from a MIDI master, however, and turning it into a usable pulse for the rest of the instrument, so you're really there, you just need to reverse the flow as it were.
bwhittington
This thread might prove informative if not entirely helpful.

The Sync-Lock seems to be your best hope of doing this live. In an email exchange I had with David at Innerclock a couple months ago, he said that this *should* work. However, he never shared the results of the test he promised to conduct, which could either mean that he got busy and forgot or possibly that the results were not solid. If someone ever tries it and tells me it works great, I'll order one for sure, but $400 is a lot of cash if it doesn't do the one thing I want it for.

If you are working primarily in the studio, the thread above will give you some great tips for syncing MIDI to a sync track derived from beat mapping an analog source in your DAW. This was news to me and has been hugely helpful to me in getting me closer to where I wanted to be sync-wise.

Cheers,
Brian
blz
ive got the
moon modular
511c
563 v2
569 (this isnt here yet its on its way from noisebug soon it shall be mine)
blz
Quote:
Your 553 is perfectly capable of taking the clock from a MIDI master, however, and turning it into a usable pulse for the rest of the instrument, so you're really there, you just need to reverse the flow as it were.

but to reverse the flow id need to use a converter to change the din sync to midi clock so i could hook up the maimi as the master right?
ach_gott
blz wrote:
but to reverse the flow id need to use a converter to change the din sync to midi clock so i could hook up the maimi as the master right?

The Miami can't transmit MIDI clock? That's disappointing. Actually, I'm looking at the Miami manual here and there are a number of oversights (backing up pattern data?).

Anyway, the only thing I know of that will do this is the Innerclock Sync-Shift. A little more than what you need, though. There might be something else out there. Maybe STG can mod one of his Time Buffer modules to bring the clock to the front panel. (I've kind of wondered why it doesn't do that anyway.)
blz
you mean ask stg to modifiy the time buffer to have a midi clock in and then i could throw that into my moon modular case and hook up the maimi and go go fun times for far cheaper?

sorry aif this isnt want you meant im a real newbie when it comes to midi and sync and what not
ach_gott
No apologies!

Actually, I was thinking a modified time buffer that just had the clock output as a pulse wave as a jack on the bottom. Most of the panel is blank space.

To take a midi clock in on that would probably be a 100% firmware change = yuck! Your 553 can already take one and turn it into a clock pulse for the 569, you just don't have a midi clock source in the setup you've listed. I blame the Miami.

Let's be honest though, you can buy cheapo stuff (like old Korg drum machines) on eBay that could act as a midi clock master and give you some bonus sounds to boot. That would be the fun way to do it.
blz
oh ok yeah so that would make the module a cv to sync?

that could work do you think stg would willing to do a mod like that and would that
suitandtieguy
have you put the Miami in SYNC:OUT mode ran its MIDI OUTput into the INput of the Moon MIDI to clock module?
ach_gott
suitandtieguy wrote:
have you put the Miami in SYNC:OUT mode ran its MIDI OUTput into the INput of the Moon MIDI to clock module?

Judging from this document (pg 18) I think the Miami does Din Sync, not Midi Clock.
ach_gott
blz wrote:
oh ok yeah so that would make the module a cv to sync?

that could work do you think stg would willing to do a mod like that and would that

No, I was thinking:
Miami Sync out -> STG time buffer -> clock out jack (custom deal) -> (possibly a pulse divider) -> 569 (or other) clock/shift input in
suitandtieguy
ach_gott wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:

Judging from this document (pg 18) I think the Miami does Din Sync, not Midi Clock.

it doesn't say either way, wether it sends or does not send MIDI clock. i'd say verify this first, because then he won't have to buy any more gear.

also: i'll have the Time Divider shipping this year (GOD WILLING. THIS IS GETTING EMBARRASSING.) which will be a great way to syncronise stuff to DIN sync.
ach_gott
But to be clear, here is what I would recommend:

Cheapo drum machine with midi clock out
-> m553 -> 569 (etc.)
|
midi thru -> Miami
blz
hey suit and tie guy do you think you could modifiy your time buffer module to have a cv input to control the ouput of the din snyc so i could send info to my maimi

thanks
ach_gott
Sorry, I was unclear... I was suggesting a potential mod (on which STG has indicated he is working in the form of a new module) that would take a Din Sync signal from the Miami to drive the modular and not the other way around.

I think your plan of action should be this:
1.) Find out whether the Miami is sending either the midi or din clock. You can do this by running the Miami as the sync master, connecting the midi cable to the 553 and running the 1/16 out to the 563 clock/shift in. If it runs a sequence, then the Miami is sending a midi clock. You still have to use the Miami as the master, though.
2.) If not, you're going to need one of:
A.) A new piece of equipment that translates DIN to MIDI, or
B.) A different piece of equipment that can send MIDI clock as the master and slave both the modular (via the 553) AND the Miami to it.

Hope this is clearer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2