MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

complex new electronic music?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author complex new electronic music?
bouzoukijoe1
hi all,

excuse the naivete, but I'm trying to find some new music to listen to and need some suggestions. I'm looking for new electronic music that has a certain level of production complexity with dense modulation and timbral variety sort of like some forms of classical music (in terms of the variations, not the literal timbre). hopefully something with in 4/4 time.

sadly all I can think of is Skrillex. lots of people hate him for his style, but I can't think of too many new electronic artists who create as many (and as dense) modulation changes *and* make it sound good (both in terms of texture and timbre). the other artists I can think of are Autechre or Squarepusher from back in the day. not that they worked strictly in 4/4, but you get the idea. I'd like to find some new artists and I know they're out there. any recommendations?

sorry in advance if I'm out of the loop and miss any obvious new artists.
coyotedad23
I would fully recommend Front Line Assembly. There would recent release Echogentic makes Skrillex sound like Justin Beiber in my opinion. Dont get me wrong, I did like Skillrex for a time but it has become tiresome lately. FLA has been making electronic music since the 80's. If you like there most recent then begin to go backward through their history. You will not be disappointed.
morphic
agreed FLA always bring something new to the mix while keeping to their roots
ignatius
still
a
u
t
e
c
h
r
e - really.. Exai is fucking awesome x10

grischa lichtenberger
richard devine
phoenecia
funckarma
badun
Dave TIPPER (production value through the roof) and his take on the modern tweaky talking bass bullshit is the only one i can stand. i think it's because he knows a dancefloor better than most and has been doing it for 25 years.

bouzoukijoe1
thanks for the recommendations

Tipper - holy cow. sick!!! I love how he uses a variety of sounds and the reverb ... amazing

oh wait that's a remix (below) - is that his own original too?

iVardensphere
Apparently link won't work. seriously, i just don't get it

Insert cool music here.
iVardensphere
No bloody idea why that's not working. Am I having a mental breakdown?

Either way, check out my buddy Comaduster. Great stuff.
ignatius
if you dig the tipper stuff then you should just spend some time checking out his discography. all over the map and all good.

he did some glitchy IDM stuff w/a collaborator in the 90s that is some of my favorite from the era.

also, some really awesome neck snapping hip hop.. tons and tons of breaks and bassy stuff. really just funky as hell.

a bunch of his stuff is over at addictech.

http://www.addictech.com/?atech_id=u52uqdvqbvt16fshls2i8bhsi5&keywords =tipper

but he's been around forever.. he's around my age (40ish) and he's been doing this since he was a kid of 16 or something.
stk
Different from the other stuff suggested, but I really like this guy:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=2398889685 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

Somewhat glitchy electronica with live instruments / jazzy / neoclassical in parts. Amazing production.

Cheers
Azbu

Edit:Just one track from an excellent album
cretaceousear
That Floex track is great - not 4/4 !
I haven't found the glitchy bits yet though
I'd say its definitely in the European modern jazz area - ERM
His name is Thomas Dvorak - I like the older Dvorak too

edit > ECM is what I meant
Nilesong
Am I the only one here who doesn't like Autechre? seriously, i just don't get it Sorry Iggy.

I've tried. God, I've tried.

Flame on... Dead Banana
Nelson Baboon
Nilesong wrote:
Am I the only one here who doesn't like Autechre? seriously, i just don't get it Sorry Iggy.

Flame on... Dead Banana

I've tried several times. Bah humbug.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I like old Autechre (Amber, Tri Repetae. etc), and some of the newer stuff. The middle stuff (Confield, Draft 7.30, etc, like the stuff that accompanies that self-destructing washing machine) is the stuff I can't stand, unless its being used as the soundtrack for an exploding washing machine. Then it's pretty effective.
Nelson Baboon
an exploding washing machine needs no soundtrack.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
I like old Autechre (Amber, Tri Repetae. etc), and some of the newer stuff. The middle stuff (Confield, Draft 7.30, etc, like the stuff that accompanies that self-destructing washing machine) is the stuff I can't stand, unless its being used as the soundtrack for an exploding washing machine. Then it's pretty effective.
ignatius
Nilesong wrote:

Flame on... Dead Banana

autechre is not for everyone. no biggie. i'm not gonna get butt hurt if people don't like the stuff i like.. life is just too short for that kind of behavior.

i tease my friends who say "they were better before..." and tell them they are just pussies and old and need to listen harder. razz

as for other "complex" electronic music there's some good leads in this thread.

i wish squarepusher would make something interesting again. he's off doing LED helmet music. haven't gone bonkers for his stuff since go plastic and a few random bits after it.

there is new blood in the water though and i'm hopeful for good interesting tunes to listen to. there's just so much out there to weed through to find the gems ya know..

Clark does some cool shit now and then. sometimes the masters are a bit too loud for my ears but otherwise some pretty rockin tunes.

there are veins of music that become these little trends for a while.. really wet sounding beats.. filters and delays and slop all churning and a very submerged sound.. then you get the really chopped stuff that makes a left turn ever 3rd beat or something..

to find the good shit ya need to stumble on to a label or some youtube channel that collects things and find a bunch of new artists that way.

also worth checking out -

Einoima

http://einoma.com

rony and suzy

http://lamadameaveclechien.bandcamp.com/album/dog004-others-are-us-ep

some other random stuff on that label.
Scories
Autechre stands for AUdio TECHnology REsearch. They're certainly not here to promote status quo in electronic music and I'm glad they happen to exist. They pushed electronic music more than anybody else IMHO.

Thay haven't done many 4/4 tracks, but this one is rather cool:

(from 5:00, the track gets really cool)

Clark is an other talented artist. His last remix album beast/feast should please you.
memes_33
Spoonbill
Rudi zygadio
stk
cretaceousear wrote:
That Floex track is great - not 4/4 !
I haven't found the glitchy bits yet though
I'd say its definitely in the European modern jazz area - ERM
His name is Thomas Dvorak - I like the older Dvorak too

Check out the whole album, it's genius. http://store.floex.cz/album/zorya
The glitchiness is there in the production, but never as obvious and overstated as some, it's more used as some hairiness and dust around the edges.

Tomasz is a lovely guy, and a fantastic musician SlayerBadger!
ZenMusic
stk wrote:
Different from the other stuff suggested, but I really like this guy: Floex CD Zorya

Somewhat glitchy electronica with live instruments / jazzy / neoclassical in parts. Amazing production.

thanks for this one, I'm enjoying the jazzy minimalistic electric
cretaceousear
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
hopefully something with in 4/4 time.

when Bouzouki Joe said 4/4 time..
Is that short hand here in wigglerland for "regular time based repeating pattern" as compared to "exotic noise with no discernable time signature" ?
stk
ZenMusic wrote:
stk wrote:
Different from the other stuff suggested, but I really like this guy: Floex CD Zorya

thanks for this one, I'm enjoying the jazzy minimalistic electric

Yr welcome. I found this one to be a grower, took a number of months before it axploded my mind.
revoltcrews
http://www.ryojiikeda.com/

JohnLRice
stk wrote:
Different from the other stuff suggested, but I really like this guy:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=2398889685 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

Cheers
That was awesome, I'm a new fan to Floex now! thumbs up
deastman
I really liked those Ryoji Ikeda tracks! I'd never heard of him, so thanks for sharing those.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5