MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

the bold modular sound in a keyboard?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author the bold modular sound in a keyboard?
blue_lu
Hi guys, I do have a hordijk system, which I love dearly. However, many times I wonder if there is a keyboard synth out there (with presets, etc), that features a similar bold and elegant sound. The hordijk sounds quite modern, I'd say cwejman would be an equivalent in the eurorack world. Is there a non-modular synth you can think of, that has similar sonic qualities but the convenience of "regular" synth?
ndkent
Interesting question. I'd say the preset aspect is a big gotcha because I believe the kinds of circuit designs used change to some extent when a synth is designed to be able to have everything stored. Also what exactly you are hearing is a tough question especially since a whole system by Hordijk is far from common, though your adding Cwejman helps.

Before his modules for sale Robert was a real pro using the Nord Modulars. The original "G1" and the G2 do sound different as the code to the first one had to be redone. Definitely check those as well as Robert's extensive online tutorials on both (different locations). Certainly the complexity of a patch on a modular is covered

Hmmm... "keyboard synth" rules out the Jomox Sunsyn. Maybe Elektron Analog Keys has that elusive sound?

Also making something poly potentially changes the design - and here is another limiting factor - the vast majority of polys have presets while monos with presets and keys exist but are in the definite minority. Have not tried it yet but maybe the new Dave Smith pro 2 cuts it for you?
blue_lu
yes, the hordijk is not too common, I agree. The oscillators definately sound "full range" and modern, although you can coax some vintage sounds out of it. I was playing with the mfb dominion 1 and thought that I really liked the UI, but the sound was "too old"/midrangy/gnarly for me. Hordijk sounds clean, hifi but warm at the same time. I love the sound but I need presets smile

I will look at nord synths, but I was thinking along the lines of more direct, hands on interface. I know that I'd loose modulation capabilites in such an environment (like the mfb style interface), but I don't care about that too much. MFB Dominion with hordijk sound would be perfect for me.
pacific202
Dave Smith Pro 2 has a lot of that for me. Oscillators sound great, filters are off the chart, mod matrix is incredibly powerful AND easy to use.

I actually just sold a number of Cwejman modules to fund the purchase of a Pro 2 and Korg Kronos.
Dogma
Not to be rude or anything but the OSc on the Pro2 sound awful to me. The filters are literally light years above anything else theyve released
The A4 is incredible to me. Its so dynamic with Plocks and great filters, amazing effects. The Oscs are GOOD but you can bring in any osc's and use them instead.
But nothing, Apart from a macbeth possibly, will sound as good as a modular - just simply due to the fact if theres something you dont like you change it. I guess the A4 is pretty close but still way off
CF3
I'd vote for a Moog Voyager. It sounds pretty ballsy. Way more rawkus than anything by DSI or Elektron. Maybe not the deepest programming wise, but the overall tone if very aggressive. Add the VX-351 and interface with the Hordjik.
Friedmice
it's difficult to answer such a question in terms of the type of sound, since this is so subjective. you'll get lots of different answers, and ultimately that judgement of the sound must come from you....

however, owning both an a4keys and the pro 2, I'd say this - that while both of them have that modern sound (not as raw and powerful as you can get with a modular, probably), because of the cv ins and outs on the pro 2, and the large number of modulation routings, it is very easy and fruitful to integrate it into a modular system. there are 4 each cv ins and outs, plus a gate out....

each of the cv ins and outs can be employed in the mod matrix, and modulations can go into audio rates. the sequencer can be clocked from the modular...

The integration of the audio in is also very flexible on the pro 2 - the vca can be opened in various ways, and the audio can be used in modulations, etc.

The filter indeed sounds better to my ears than the ones in previous dsi synths. I think that the instrument sounds very good indeed, though I tend not to conceptually separate out the fx, filters, oscillators, etc - as an instrument - it sounds very good to me.
rockthomas
On mixes, I have been tricked by the MS-2000 many times.
GuyaGuy
From what I've heard Hordijk is sort of a modern take on Moog so the Voyager suggestion makes sense.

CF3 wrote:
I'd vote for a Moog Voyager. It sounds pretty ballsy. Way more rawkus than anything by DSI or Elektron. Maybe not the deepest programming wise, but the overall tone if very aggressive. Add the VX-351 and interface with the Hordjik.
ignatius
yamaha DX7. razz

srsly though i'd guess pro2 but havent heard it in person. the mono evolver is quite modular in architecture and is capable of some very modular like sounds though i wouldn't compare it to cwejman in tone it is quite amazing imo.
LeFreq
Macbeth or Cwejman S1. Done.

Personally, I'm on the Pro-2 team, but I think the above is what you're looking for. They don't have patches, but they're the only things that are going to give you the highest sound quality. I agree with the first reply, that once you add presets, you're in hybrid analog/digital territory and lose the flavor.
ignatius
LeFreq wrote:
Macbeth or Cwejman S1. Done.

Personally, I'm on the Pro-2 team, but I think the above is what you're looking for.

i think he said "normal synth with presets" so both of those suggestions are out. seriously, i just don't get it

what about something vintage.. oberheim expander perhaps?

or even a sampler.. kurzweil 2500 or 2600 KB? loads you can do there.. lush.

but i guess for a mono synth w/lot's of knobs and presets that's analog you have limited options. the moog subphatty is nice. a friend got one and loves it. sounds pretty awesome. some nice tricks up its sleeves.

but nothing is going to give you the type modular functionality of the DSi stuff. the pro 2 looks extensive in it's abilities. delays, feedback, FM/AM etc.. the sound design possibilities are deep... and though some complained about the oscillators (someone always does when it comes to DSI stuff) i bet you can overcome any perceived lacking and make some sounds you love
blue_lu
thanks for all the suggestions.
I am not looking for a conservative synth per se, just a conservative user interface with not too much menu diving. The sound should be modern, but not sterile. I'd prefer poly to mono.

Cwejman S2 has no presets, so it is out. Also I'd prefer something with some basic arpeggiator / chord memory etc, with in the machine.

The Moog sound is quite different from Hordijk imo. Hordijk has a clean, modern sound, but not sterile. Hordijk has the most beautiful sines I have heard so far, and the filter can be classic lp/bp/hp or a mix of it with a formant quality.

The Pro2 seems really close to what I am looking for, at least the filter. I am not sold on the basic osc. sound and I wish it had 4 voices, but I will give this one a spin, for sure.
NYMo
Would be interested in the answer too.
( but I'm presuming the answer is...nothing !)

Cheers
Randy
I would've suggested Kurzweil too, but I have a K2600XS so I'm biased.

Randy
pacific202
Dogma wrote:
Not to be rude or anything but the OSc on the Pro2 sound awful to me.

Awful? Come on, they're not THAT bad! Some of the presets don't really show the sweet spots of their sonic range, but this could very well be a synth where we need to learn more about its range before claiming that its oscillators are a weak spot.

blue_lu wrote:
a conservative user interface with not too much menu diving

This is where the Pro 2 excels - the modulation matrix has dedicated source and target buttons where you hold the button then select the knob you want. It's easy to dial up complex tones on this thing.

If you want polyphonic, then look at the Prophet 12. The 4-voice paraphonic was enough for me in the Pro 2.

blue_lu wrote:
I would've suggested Kurzweil too, but I have a K2600XS so I'm biased.

The amount of menu diving on Kurzweil synths would eliminate them from this search. Very powerful, yes. Very deep menus are needed to reach that power, though.
liquid234
From the demos i've heard, the Prophet 12 seems to have a range that
is miles wide. Same with just about all Waldorf stuff.
When i play the Radias, often i think it sounds like a digital poly modular
Guinness ftw!
Navs
In terms of routing options and raw sound, the Jomox Sunsyn:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.de/search/label/jomox

It's a joy to be able to play modular patches polyphonically. But maybe that's the point: once you've understood how to patch a 'good' sound, it shouldn't matter which synth you do it on, provided it has the 'modules' you need, of course.

The Micromodular was a revelation to me:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.de/2013/11/nord-coast-micro-modular-pat ches.html

Yeah, sell your modular ... lol
blue_lu
Navs wrote:
In terms of routing options and raw sound, the Jomox Sunsyn:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.de/search/label/jomox

It's a joy to be able to play modular patches polyphonically. But maybe that's the point: once you've understood how to patch a 'good' sound, it shouldn't matter which synth you do it on, provided it has the 'modules' you need, of course.

The Micromodular was a revelation to me:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.de/2013/11/nord-coast-micro-modular-pat ches.html

Navs thanks for your thoughts and you are certainly right - understanding how a synth works helps indefinately to produce "your sound" and vision no a varity of different machines. the hordjik just has all what I want, mixes subtractive and additve, has envelopes ranging from super fast to super slow and the filter has this special quality. not even beginning with the lfos/mixing/ random generators...

I will take a look at the sunsyn, I think schneiders has one for sale. Also micromodular might be a good bet.
blue_lu
Navs wrote:

oh yeah, and thats not going to happen too soon, but often I use different gear (with patch memory) because I am afraid I'd need to go back to a patch once building the track.

I guess my problem is related to the more "conventional" music I am trying to produce. cry
gooneybird
korg ms 20...you can route your ass off and there is sample and old and some other tricks. the filter is baller and the sound is truly thick and rich.
GovernorSilver
Nord Modular G2 keyboard if you can find one.

John Bowen Solaris
numan7
why not just get 3x more modules along with a MOTM 650 midi interface (and build a little preset storage system in Eurorack using a bunch of matrix mixers or the like)? then you could have your Hordjik cake and eat it too, blue_lu! smile

cheers
extra testicle
pacific202 wrote:
Dave Smith Pro 2 has a lot of that for me. Oscillators sound great, filters are off the chart, mod matrix is incredibly powerful AND easy to use.

I actually just sold a number of Cwejman modules to fund the purchase of a Pro 2 and Korg Kronos.

heh, i feel like the kronos is closer because to me it has that same kind of pleasant smoothness or something even when it's using distortion and audio rate modulations. the pro2 filter is easier to get "vintage" as well, i think. with the kronos, it can be done, but it's pretty easy to avoid that haha.

nothing wrong with the pro2 i just think it gets "pointier" when doing modern. like if you do fm on each they both sound nice, but the clarity on the pro2 i find more cutting and the kronos more like beach glass. lol it's easier to make sounds than to come up with words for them.
flo
Modulus 002? hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2