MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Preferred 5U format?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]

Preferred 5U format?
MOTM
53%
 53%  [ 30 ]
Synthesizers.com/MU
28%
 28%  [ 16 ]
I use both without a preferrence
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 56

Author Preferred 5U format?
zerosum
What is your preferred 5U format?
sandyb
i think i know which way i'll vote but have one question:
is this in terms of size or modules available or both?

sandy
SynthBaron
MU. Mainly because the panel layouts are "allowed" to be tailored to the specific application. And the Moog-style Cosmo skirted knobs are much more ergonomic.
NV
I use both without a real preference. I love that there is such a strong DIY presence for the MOTM format and the quality of the manufactured modules from MOTM and ModCan are always impressive. I also like that the MU format is becoming more diversified, and with unique offerings from STG and Moon Modular it's become quite an attractive format, enough to draw in many more users.

I'm not really a huge fan of the MOTM grid-style layouts as I tend to enjoy the varied ModCan and DotCom approaches to layouts a bit more, but in the end that's the only thing that really separates the formats in my opinion.
krelnarb
Of all the big ass formats I like the MOTM, just a little bit more than the Moogaloids, which I like because they look like the dream synths of my childhood. I perceive MOTM as being more space efficient. I like the retro lab look of the Modcan B gear.

Of the Jumbo formats (Wiard, Modcan A and CMS) I like CMS because I think it look BADASS.

I'm going to vote for MOTM because that's the format my big knob synth is taking; more kits available, plus not only can just about anything can be stuffed behind a MOTM panel but someone probably already designed one.

All just aesthetics really, the good stuff is behind the panel.

When a winner is declared what will we do with the loosing formats? I can help with disposal hihi
zerosum
sandyb wrote:

sandy

If I were to rephrase my question it would be, "would one rather buy modules to go in a dotcom rack or a MOTM rack?"
Henfield
I prefer the synthesizers.com format for the completeness of the product line, the low cost of their modules, the look of the modules, and the shallow depth of their modules (as I still dream of putting together a 5U "suitcase synth").
sandyb
zerosum wrote:
sandyb wrote:

sandy

If I were to rephrase my question it would be, "would one rather buy modules to go in a dotcom rack or a MOTM rack?"

thanks zerosum thumbs up

my vote goes for MOTM format. reasons:
- because that's what modcan b series is in (i know - an obvious answer from me hihi )
- i've come to prefer the slightly narrower size of MOTM format modules
- there are more diy options (i'm thinking in terms of available faceplates etc)
- i prefer the power distribution scheme with MOTM (although the "default" dotcom one can be changed with help from mr stg)

having said all that i started in modulars with dotcom and still have a few modules. i have absolutely nothing against the format or modules available at all, although i am thinking about shifting the few dotcom modules i still have behind MOTM format panels as it would make cabinet planning/building a bit easier.

sandy
russma
Zerosum,

---why?---
zerosum
Quote:

---why?---

Oh....ya know....just checkin the water..... hmmm..... Mr. Green

I like having MOTM for the modcan, and dotcom for the utilities(I can't afford the modcan VCA's or mixers,etc), I will always have both in my system functioning as 1 big 5U.
SynthBaron
zerosum wrote:

You are going to be restricted if you choose to go Dotcom. If you aren't bothered by layouts, I would go MOTM format.
bwhittington
The results of the poll thus far are interesting to me. I once talked to Cynthia, and she said that she and another 5U builder couldn't give their MOTM versions away, and that Dotcom was way more popular. Maybe MOTM-format guys are just more the DIY type. Or maybe its a joke for me to extrapolate conclusions from a 24-vote sample.

Cheers,
Brian
JohnLRice
I voted both (obvious if you've seen my rig thumbs up )
JohnLRice
SynthBaron wrote:
zerosum wrote:

You are going to be restricted if you choose to go Dotcom. If you aren't bothered by layouts, I would go MOTM format.

I'm not thinking Dotcom would be very restrictive if you include Moon, COTK, MOS-LAB, STG, and Moog etc. And anything that can be DIYed in MOTM land can be DIYed for Dotcom, although there are almost NO ready made panels for Dotcom DIY!

Jest sayin'! hyper
SynthBaron
JohnLRice wrote:
And anything that can be DIYed in MOTM land can be DIYed for Dotcom, although there are almost NO ready made panels for Dotcom DIY!

Jest sayin'! hyper

Yes, that's what I mean. This is why I have 12U of Bridechamber MOTM rails in my DotCom cabinet, lol.

ach_gott
bwhittington wrote:
The results of the poll thus far are interesting to me. I once talked to Cynthia, and she said that she and another 5U builder couldn't give their MOTM versions away, and that Dotcom was way more popular. Maybe MOTM-format guys are just more the DIY type. Or maybe its a joke for me to extrapolate conclusions from a 24-vote sample.

My understanding is/was that the MOTM format ZO outsold the .com by a long shot (.com users had to wait for a looooooooooong time for theirs because there weren't enough orders to do the panel run economically, MOTM users got theirs within the first four months.). The saw animators went the opposite way, but the MOTM format had some miserable initial reviews. The pot at the top was too large and it had to be replaced to fit in some/many cabinets... not sure about rack rails. "Not up to the MOTM standard" was the consensus from what I read.

In any event, my vote is for MOTM. I like the look better and, when patching horizontally, it's a lot cleaner. I also twist knobs while playing and I like not bumping into the cable barrel.

That said, I do have both. If I could do it all MOTM format (with plenty of grid violations for STG), I would. As it is, 95% of all my sound-generating/processing modules will be MOTM format. Sequencing and the like will be 50/50. All my DIY will be MOTM.
doctorvague
I'm really liking having some of all of it. The bulk of my rig is dotcom - especially for bread and butter modules like mixers, processors, EG's etc. It's been cost-effective for me, especially getting a 5U system started. Then you have Moon Modular, STG, etc and Yusson DIY stuff - but MOTM DIY projects, especially front panels are a lot more readily available. With Moon and STG in the mix we have a really nice selection of sequencers these days for MU. We even have 2 quantizers with options. I'll take one of each!
So many modules are their own unique thing - for me, the Modcan VCDO and sequencer, MOTM 440 filter and 650 MIDI interface, and others I'd like to have, like some Oakley stuff, etc.

Besides the VCDO I have 6 dotcom oscillators and 2 of them have the oscillator aids which allows knob control of Soft sync which I think is a fantastic feature, but I don't need 6 of them really. Tradeoff is panel space. I kinda consider 2 of the osc's as super-full-featured LFO's. Anyway...

6 dotcom oscillators = $1170
if you add in 2 oscillator aid modules = $1286
with 4 oscillator aids = $1402

6 MOTM 300 oscillators = $2694

The oscillators have different strengths depending on your tastes of course. I am not dissing MOTM osc's for a moment and actually think a mix of both would be ideal, each having their own strengths. Things like an octave switch vs full freq sweep are definitely personal choices. Starting out and getting a system going you can see where the Arrick stuff is certainly cost-effective, especially for the basics. After that I've tried to spend on things that do something specific and useful and do it very well, like the VCDO or 440 or Moon trigger sequencer.

If you pick one format and don't allow for the other I think you'll always be missing out on something cool.

cheers
Phil
bwhittington
ach_gott wrote:
bwhittington wrote:

My understanding is/was that the MOTM format ZO outsold the .com by a long shot (.com users had to wait for a looooooooooong time for theirs because there weren't enough orders to do the panel run economically, MOTM users got theirs within the first four months.). The saw animators went the opposite way, but the MOTM format had some miserable initial reviews.

That actually could all be true with being inconsistent. My conversation with her was last summer, well after ZO releases. Maybe she was just venting about sitting on a pile of MOTM saw animator panels, but I was under the impression that she was close to being done doing MOTM format. Maybe MOTM buyers just don't like wading through months or years of excuses to get their modules? hihi

To the thread topic, I'm all Dotcom format (with STG/Cynthia/Moon) right now. Physically, the format is my preference, though there are enough tasty MOTM morsels on the horizon to lead me into temptation (650, 730, super-cloud-terranium-things). twisted

Cheers,
Brian
pugix
If 'modules to go' means assembled and ready to mount in a cabinet, it begs the cabinet question. I have only MOTM size panels in mostly Dot Com cabinets. The cabinets have metal rails to make it easy to move stuff. See:

http://pugix.com/synth/synthesizerscom-motm-cabinet/

I'm keen on utilization of panel space, and the MOTM panels, being narrower, fit more modules in the same cabinet. I'm a DIY guy, and that's another big reason for the MOTM format, because of the Stooge, Oakley and Bridechamber panels. I've never desired a Dot Com module, mainly because a) they are assembled, and b) I've not seen a feature great enough to inspire me to rebuild one into MOTM format or make a cabinet specially for them.

Your module options are maximized if you're willing to make cabinets that support both formats. But I think there's more flexibility for expansion if you stick to one format, since you can reorganize modules as you grow. I've reorganized my cabinets about once a year. My most recent move was to collect all VCO's into one cabinet and all VCF's into another. I haven't got round to taking pictures of that, but soon...
megaohm
doctorvague wrote:

If you pick one format and don't allow for the other I think you'll always be missing out on something cool.

cheers
Phil

I'll second that!!!
Excellent points.

p.
megaohm
I didn't vote in the poll because my opinion is too biased (I'll be releasing modules in MU format soon).

Personally, I don't like grid layouts (except for matrix mixers and others where a grid makes it more intuitive).

Layouts should also consider the nature of the human eyes which do not interpret the world as strict horizontal and vertical lines (far from it).
I love MOTM modules but when I see a full cab I think it just looks confusing.
Mind you, I would NEVER reject a full cab of MOTM modules!!! smile

p.
zerosum
Thanks for all the responses and votes! thumbs up
zerosum
Quote:
I didn't vote in the poll because my opinion is too biased (I'll be releasing modules in MU format soon).

I'll count that as a vote for MU.
SynthBaron
Yeah, what the hell are you making? MY ASS IS BLEEDING
JohnLRice
doctorvague wrote:

6 dotcom oscillators = $1170
if you add in 2 oscillator aid modules = $1286
with 4 oscillator aids = $1402

6 MOTM 300 oscillators = $2694

or

6 MOTM 300 oscillator KITS! = $2274 hyper

or

4 MOTM 300 oscillator KITS! = $1516
2 MOTM 310 oscillator KITS! = $ 478
TOTAL = $1994
Priceless Bonus: gain a marketable skill of building (and trouble shooting hihi ) electronics plus a more intimate understanding of the how and why of your instrument! thumbs up

But . . .I have no problems with less expensive and faster! 8_)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4