MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTM help, interested in getting into modulars
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author MOTM help, interested in getting into modulars
nadafarms
So I'm interested in making the plunge into modulars and am a bit confused.

from what I have heard of all the modulars i like the way motm sounds a lot! Now I understand that eurorack format is the most popular and someone was saying that the motm modules may eventually be made in euro rack format?

I'm confused because I don't see a case on the motm website, just a power supply and rails. So can I buy a .com case and start putting motms in it?

Or do I have to buy a .com case and then buy these rails for the motm and a motm power supply?

Also I've heard the wait time is really long on the motms I kinda want to just buy a basic setup like asap.

Also are there are any good spring reverb/delays in the 5U format?

Do people recommend I just wait until motm stuff is available in eurorack?

any help would be awesome! SlayerBadger! I've never had a modular but have owned nearly every semi modular there is...

thanks!
nadafarms
also I like this big 5U format, big is good for me. But I just worry that since this will be my only case/modular that maybe I should indeed just get a dopefer/monorocket case and do eurorack?
russma
I just built the DotCom DIY case and began filling it with MOTM modules. Works fine. See here.

You don't need the MOTM rails, if you don't mind screwing the MOTM modules into the wooden rails of the DotCom case, which is what I did.

Synthesis Technology (MOTM) is creating some modules in Euro format.
nadafarms
thanks man, yeah that looks kick ass great job!

I just can't believe how good the motm sounds and want ot interface my new sem with them.

crazy though you're just screwing right into the wood? I'm looking to buy a premade case though and all premade modules since i can barely hammer a nail/screw a screw...
russma
...Yep, right into the wood. If you pre-drill the holes and use short screws, you won't split the wood.

To my ears, the only modular that sounds as good as the MOTM stuff is Modcan.
NV
I wouldn't wait until the MOTM line is entirely available in eurorack, because I don't think it will ever happen and if it does it's far in the future. As far as I'm aware, Paul is toying with the idea of porting *some* modules over to eurorack, and even then I think it's all a heavy handed "maybe." Plus the current modules he has in eurorack are going to be released in MOTM format with more features, higher specifications, and so on (at greater expense obviously).

You can fit MOTM modules in a DotCom case very easily by simply screwing them into the wood with wood screws, like idiotboy did. If you would like a different solution, Bridechamber offers rails that can screw into the DotCom cabinets for easier MOTM module mounting. Here's a link: http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/Cab_Mounting.html . You can always use the MOTM rack rails and mount the modules in any standard rack case as well. JohnLRice did this and he has a number of high quality photos scattered about the forum.

The wait time with MOTM always varies, but in my own experience Paul is good about giving you an idea of when things should ship. I ordered some modules from him about a year ago and he called me that same night to let me know that they would ship in about 5 weeks, and they did. Some people have waited far longer in the past when he still offered kits, but apparently Paul has cleared up quite a bit of his backlog and is shipping much more regularly now.

As far as spring reverbs, one of the best spring reverbs out there period, modular or not, is available in MOTM format: the Tellun Neural Agonizer. It's a DIY project, but there are people out there who will build it for a fee.

Also I'll echo idiotboy in saying that you should consider ModCan as well. The ModCan B series is the same size format as MOTM so they can be mounted side by side without issue, and ModCan has some of the most unique and powerful modules in the modular scene. I use multiple modular formats and think they all have their unique perks, but in terms of build quality and rock solid performance it's tough to top a ModCan/MOTM combination.
sandyb
i'd suggest going rack mounted too if you want to do zero diy.
ach_gott
Quote:
from what I have heard of all the modulars i like the way motm sounds a lot! Now I understand that eurorack format is the most popular and someone was saying that the motm modules may eventually be made in euro rack format?

I wouldn't. With all due respect to Paul, he's slow to release new products and you won't be seeing the entire line anytime soon even if Paul intends the entire line.

Quote:
I'm confused because I don't see a case on the motm website, just a power supply and rails. So can I buy a .com case and start putting motms in it?

You have many options... you can have a custom cabinet built for you by a local carpenter, you can special order one from Nice Racks, you can order the .com cabinet and fill it with MOTM modules with or without rails from Bridechamber.

Or you can take a standard 19" rack frame and use the rails that Synth Tech sells. That's a great way to start a system.

You will need a Synth Tech power supply.

Quote:

The most insane spring reverb is the Tellun Neural Agonizer, but that's all diy unless you find one used. (Panels are available from Bridechamber and PCBs from Tellun.) Modcan offers both a spring reverb and a digital delay in its MOTM-format B line.

Jump on in, the water's great!
zerosum
Quote:
I kinda want to just buy a basic setup like asap.

Go with Synthesizers.com
Modcan and MOTM are great, but you wont get either one sooner than a dotcom.

Quote:

I use the dotcom reverb:
http://synthesizers.com/q115.html
nadafarms
thanks so much. yeah I'm thinking I should do the .com cabinet with some motm and that neural agonizer for sure! wow that is exactly what I want.

also are there any good analog delays in 5U by other companies? I'm looking to use my modular sem for a bunch of bread an butter stuff so I can get some crazier more exciting modules in the 5U and a couple nice vcos and filters from motm.

appreciate the help!
thermionicjunky
nadafarms wrote:

also are there any good analog delays in 5U by other companies?

These are no current production BBD delays outside of Eurorack aside from the Modcan Flanger. You could look for a used Modcan Super Delay or a used Blacet Time Machine that has been converted to MOTM. The Club of the Knobs "Analogue" delay is a digital delay. The Modcan Digital Delay is great.
russma
Modcan and Club of the Knobs make delay modules.
sandyb
nadafarms wrote:
thanks so much. yeah I'm thinking I should do the .com cabinet with some motm and that neural agonizer for sure! wow that is exactly what I want.

if that's your plan then do read the stickies on power distribution and mounting MOTM format modules in dotcom cabinets. they're here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6598

sandy
consumed
honestly i would recommend rack mount rails for little/no DIY.

however, i would like to sell my 2x24 motm cabinet, below, made of primavera wood.
bridechamber 'stooge' rails are mounted throughout (which is better than mounting into wood IMO)
to get this thing powered would require motm power supplies and power distribution boards (not included)
there are already pilot holes for screwing motm distro boards into the body of the cabinet
anyway, PM me if youre interested

russma
hmmm...where are all those modules going?
russma
...back on the subject of delay modules, there are various trigger delay modules available; not the same as a nice BBD, I know. But still.
paults
MOTM kits available in 10 minutes!!!!

If you have not created a profile for the shpping cart DO IT NOW or you can't order Dead Banana

www.synthtech.com, click order tag, then create a profile.
consumed
idiotboy wrote:
hmmm...where are all those modules going?

many of these modules have already been sold
the rest have made their way back into the first cabinet (the older, little brother to this one)

JohnLRice
consumed wrote:
honestly i would recommend rack mount rails for little/no DIY.

however, i would like to sell my 2x24 motm cabinet, below, made of primavera wood.
bridechamber 'stooge' rails are mounted throughout (which is better than mounting into wood IMO)
to get this thing powered would require motm power supplies and power distribution boards (not included)
there are already pilot holes for screwing motm distro boards into the body of the cabinet
anyway, PM me if youre interested

That sure was a beauty! waah
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1