MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Combination MOTM / Dotcom Cabinets
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Combination MOTM / Dotcom Cabinets
ach_gott
Criminy that's beautiful!
bwhittington
Nice! What are the modules in this row?

davebr
bwhittington wrote:
Nice! What are the modules in this row?

All of my modules are detailed here.

The first module is an 8 channel computervoltage source.

The next module is a 4 channel computervoltagesource. I made this as a replacement for my PSIM.

The next module is a 4 channel level shifter. I use it to shift +/-5 volt levels to 0-10 volt levels for the PSIM.

The next module is my PSIM. I've added MIDI, level controls, and a TTS256 / Speakjet to it.

The last module is my PSIM LCD. I first designed this as an external module using a 2X8 LCD. I later enhanced this to my CVS LCD module that John Loffink developed the PCB for.

The CVS and LCD were developed as a follow-on to the PSIM and is on a Yahoo Group. All of the design files are public domain except for the LCD PCB and source code. John Loffink sells an LCD kit and Bridechamber ran the first batch of PCBs. There are various videos of the CVS, LCD, sequencer, etc. in operation on my web pages.

I've developed a fair number of programs for the PSIM and CVS including a sequencer and several MIDI programs. All programs are also public domain.

One nice program for a simple CVS is a Kurzweil Ribbon controller. You can purchase a very nice Kurzweil ribbon and interface it with this embedded design or just use it as one of the CVS programs.

I also designed an I/O expander that can expand the number of analog and digital inputs for the CVS.

Dave
essex sound lab
REALLY nice Dave. Very classy.
r05c03
So, can assume then that dotcom and MOTM will not fit in the same metal rack rails?
davebr
r05c03 wrote:
So, can assume then that dotcom and MOTM will not fit in the same metal rack rails?

Yes, the mounting hole spacing is different in both the X and the Y directions. MOTM modules are in multiples of 1.75" and Dotcom are in multiples of 2.125". Dotcom have a single mounting hole in the center and closer to the top and bottom edge. MOTM mounting holes are 0.25" from each side.

A 6U MOTM rail is only 0.125" than a 5MU rail. You might be able to drill both sets of holes in a single rail. You couldn't intermix individual modules because of the width difference though.

Dave
davebr
I make my larger blank panels out of the same material as the rear of my cabinets. I usually have some left over so I just finish it while I am finishing the cabinet. When I add modules I just need to cut the blank panel down in width.

The 4MU of space looked blank so I made a 3" decal to put on it. I had bought some decal paper to make a legend for a Marantz front panel and had some left over. I printed it on a laser and sprayed it with 3 coats of decal bonder. It was pretty large so I was afraid it might tear when I went to put it on but it all went quite smoothly.

Dave

Here is a photo of the decal paper with 3 coats of decal bonder.

Here is a photo of the finished panel. I put two coats of polyurethane over the stain and decal.
tobias
eek! damn... thats the dream! I would love to hear and see a patch!
MindMachine
Using the same stained wood as the cabinet for blanks is the most obvious thing that I never though off d'oh! .

Truly beautiful... nice midtone stain too.
janvanvolt
Probably a bit off topic:
- i still got two CVS8 PCB here, so if somebody has interest i can sell one for $40 each (small production run, thereof the "higher" cost").

@davebr: excellent work !!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2