MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Combination MOTM / Dotcom Cabinets
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Combination MOTM / Dotcom Cabinets
davebr
I decided to build new side cabinets for my modular as I've run out of room for my Moon Modular M569 Sequential Voltage Source. All of my modules are MOTM format so I need a cabinet for Dotcom modules as well. I decided to build a combo-cabinet that would accommodate both. I just built a two row cabinet with a 10 MU top row and a 12U bottom row. It required notching the top row 1/8" on each side. This is the first cabinet assembled and ready for sanding and finishing. It is sitting on a 6" garage which will house a couple of my 19" rack instruments.

Here's the detail of the notch on the top row.

I've added a web page to my site to document my work on the cabinets.

Dave
JohnLRice
Looking really great, Dave. Fine work as always! we're not worthy
sunsinger
This is a very nice piece of woodworking Dave, It's nice to see such a well thought out design to handle the problem of a mixed MOTM DotCom system.
I'll probably incorporate elements of this design into a larger cabinet I'll have to build in the future for my MOTM / Modcan / DotCom system. thumbs up

Thanks for the nice posting and great photos.
suitandtieguy
very good idea.
essex sound lab
Nicely done. It's great to see such attention to detail. thumbs up
sandyb
good job Dave w00t
doctorvague
Very nice thumbs up
drewtoothpaste
That looks awesome, nice job... If you build a second one you're not gonna use, let me know.

screaming goo yo
pugix
Very nice looking! Are you considering metal rails for the MOTM side? They make it very easy to move modules later. Seems to me that the wood will suffer, otherwise.
megaohm
That is soooo nice. I read that it still needs sanding and finishing? Please consider a clear coat finish because that wood color is quite beautiful.

A nice idea along the same lines is a multi tier cab for mixed formats:
one row MU
second row Frac/Euro
third row...I don't know...Modcan A format.

The whole mixed cable thing is a non-issue (at least for me since I make my own cables). Just an idea.

I'm very impressed with your woodworking skills. The 19" rack garage is also brilliant.

p.
SynthBaron
Even though it's unfinished, I kinda like the psuedo-white wash look.
zerosum
Very nice work! thumbs up Thanks for sharing!
davebr
pugix wrote:
Very nice looking! Are you considering metal rails for the MOTM side? They make it very easy to move modules later. Seems to me that the wood will suffer, otherwise.

All my cabinets have Stooge metal rails. I bought the set for these cabinets from Bridechamber. I will be making a set of metal rails for the Dotcom since no one seems to sell them currently. I had the metal shop at work stamp me some 1/8" aluminum the full width of the cabinets. I'll be drilling and tapping my own.

Dave
davebr
drewtoothpaste wrote:
That looks awesome, nice job... If you build a second one you're not gonna use, let me know.

screaming goo yo

Unfortunately I am building a second cabinet. I will have two stacked for a four row side cabinet to match my four row modular. Previously I used my earlier 3 row cabinet. I'll pick up another 6U of modules plus the row of Dotcom. It doesn't give me a lot more room. The first cabinet is always fun. The second will be work although I already have the sides cut. It takes me just about a full day to cut and make the cabinets. It takes another 5 for the stain and two full coats of polyurethane. Then it will take an evening to wire it all up.

Dave
suitandtieguy
davebr wrote:
I will be making a set of metal rails for the Dotcom since no one seems to sell them currently.

not currently, no, but my production rails are going to be 10MU.
davebr
suitandtieguy wrote:
davebr wrote:
I will be making a set of metal rails for the Dotcom since no one seems to sell them currently.

not currently, no, but my production rails are going to be 10MU.

How soon will you have them?

Dave
suitandtieguy
I think it will be a month, sorry. I have to have them requoted since I changed the size.
davebr
suitandtieguy wrote:
I think it will be a month, sorry. I have to have them requoted since I changed the size.

I don't want to wait that long so fabricated my own. 10MU will be a good size.

Dave
JohnLRice
davebr wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:

I don't want to wait that long so fabricated my own. 10MU will be a good size.

Dave

Nice job, Dave! thumbs up
davebr
I finished the first cabinet tonight. Note the connection for a static wrist strap. I hate the zaps during the winter months. Now to finish the second cabinet.

I updated my web site with a lot more photos.

Dave
emdot_ambient
I was thinking about mixed cabinets a while ago--great job on yours, BTW!--and was thinking it would be really nice to build in a 1U or 2U (module height) utility strip between the rows (and/or at the top, bottom, or side of the cabinet).

I really think that cabinets should incorporate standard utility features like multiples, attenuators and what-have-you.
davebr
I've nearly finished the second cabinet. I'm just waiting on more flatrails from Bridechamber.

JohnLRice
Looking great, Dave! thumbs up we're not worthy
emdot_ambient
Awesome!
davebr
I got my rails and finished the cabinet. Now to have some fun ...
Side cabinet construction web page
Dave

ach_gott
Criminy that's beautiful!
bwhittington
Nice! What are the modules in this row?

davebr
bwhittington wrote:
Nice! What are the modules in this row?

All of my modules are detailed here.

The first module is an 8 channel computervoltage source.

The next module is a 4 channel computervoltagesource. I made this as a replacement for my PSIM.

The next module is a 4 channel level shifter. I use it to shift +/-5 volt levels to 0-10 volt levels for the PSIM.

The next module is my PSIM. I've added MIDI, level controls, and a TTS256 / Speakjet to it.

The last module is my PSIM LCD. I first designed this as an external module using a 2X8 LCD. I later enhanced this to my CVS LCD module that John Loffink developed the PCB for.

The CVS and LCD were developed as a follow-on to the PSIM and is on a Yahoo Group. All of the design files are public domain except for the LCD PCB and source code. John Loffink sells an LCD kit and Bridechamber ran the first batch of PCBs. There are various videos of the CVS, LCD, sequencer, etc. in operation on my web pages.

I've developed a fair number of programs for the PSIM and CVS including a sequencer and several MIDI programs. All programs are also public domain.

One nice program for a simple CVS is a Kurzweil Ribbon controller. You can purchase a very nice Kurzweil ribbon and interface it with this embedded design or just use it as one of the CVS programs.

I also designed an I/O expander that can expand the number of analog and digital inputs for the CVS.

Dave
essex sound lab
REALLY nice Dave. Very classy.
r05c03
So, can assume then that dotcom and MOTM will not fit in the same metal rack rails?
davebr
r05c03 wrote:
So, can assume then that dotcom and MOTM will not fit in the same metal rack rails?

Yes, the mounting hole spacing is different in both the X and the Y directions. MOTM modules are in multiples of 1.75" and Dotcom are in multiples of 2.125". Dotcom have a single mounting hole in the center and closer to the top and bottom edge. MOTM mounting holes are 0.25" from each side.

A 6U MOTM rail is only 0.125" than a 5MU rail. You might be able to drill both sets of holes in a single rail. You couldn't intermix individual modules because of the width difference though.

Dave
davebr
I make my larger blank panels out of the same material as the rear of my cabinets. I usually have some left over so I just finish it while I am finishing the cabinet. When I add modules I just need to cut the blank panel down in width.

The 4MU of space looked blank so I made a 3" decal to put on it. I had bought some decal paper to make a legend for a Marantz front panel and had some left over. I printed it on a laser and sprayed it with 3 coats of decal bonder. It was pretty large so I was afraid it might tear when I went to put it on but it all went quite smoothly.

Dave

Here is a photo of the decal paper with 3 coats of decal bonder.

Here is a photo of the finished panel. I put two coats of polyurethane over the stain and decal.
tobias
eek! damn... thats the dream! I would love to hear and see a patch!
MindMachine
Using the same stained wood as the cabinet for blanks is the most obvious thing that I never though off d'oh! .

Truly beautiful... nice midtone stain too.
janvanvolt
Probably a bit off topic:
- i still got two CVS8 PCB here, so if somebody has interest i can sell one for $40 each (small production run, thereof the "higher" cost").

@davebr: excellent work !!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 2