MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EML Electro Comp Synth book help?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author EML Electro Comp Synth book help?
TheDegenerateElite
I found a book at my University library several years ago that was an instructional book that used the EML ElectroComp synths in its examples.

It may have been published by EML.

It also featured some cool tape editing experiments and how to write and use the old west coast style electronic music scores.

I can't for the life of me remember the title or author and, as with most info on these synths, the net turns up nothing.

Anyone have any idea about it? I would love to find it again.
authorless
I'd be interested in knowing as well. *bump*
nostalghia
Did a quick google search for "eml book" and on 1st page of results (right above link to your post on Muffs!) was a link to the archived EML-200 owner's manual: EML-200 Manual.
It seemed fairly interesting, but short, and didn't have the content you described.
However, clicking "Synth Manuals: Electronic Music Laboratories" at top of the page showed it was one of 3 different EML manuals-EML Manuals

Maybe the EML-101 manual? (nothing about tape editing or EM scores though):
EML-101 Manual
Click "PDF" in the left frame box to download the full manual (11 MB).

Sure it's not the Allan Strange book you're remembering?
Electronic Music
TheDegenerateElite
No this is a smaller book, about 6 x 8?, that is printed in landscape format.

Lots of line drawings and stuff inside. I remember it very distinctly because of the experimental nature and tape/ musique concrete sections.

It was alot like the old Arp books that featured tutorials that focused on the Ody, etc.

Man...I guess I'm just going to have to really dig around in the gigantic music section at the University so I can stick this info up for everyone else also. The library was expanded and everything was moved all around a year back !

For some reason, the filing codes scatter synth books in about a dozen differnt areas.

It may also be in the computer books, which are in a huge sub-basement bombshelter that was converted into computer labs and archival storage, along with all the old bound periodiacls and Nasa docs.

Adventure awaits!
TheDegenerateElite
Found it after lots of advanced searching and filters in online catalog!!!!!
Looks like it was published by EML afterall.

Author DeVoe, Robert A.
Title Electronmusic : a comprehensive handbook / Robert A. DeVoe.
Publication Info Vernon, Conn. : Electronic Music Laboratories, c1977.

Description vi, 175 p. : ill. ; 28 cm

I will go grab it tomorrow and give a report.

And it is another expensive one on amazon and abebooks.
TheDegenerateElite
More info.

Off Tape Op Message board

#11: Re: Cool synthesizer books Author: kingquasar, Location: raleigh, nc Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:27 pm
—
If you can track this book down, it's totally worth it...

Electronmusic by Robert A. Devoe
It was published by Electronic Music Labes, Inc. the same people who made the Electrocomp Synths. 176 handwritten (and illustrated) pages that have a WEALTH of info regarding synths and tape recorders (with chapter titles like "Tape Recorder Husbandry"). The guy was a total nut with drawings of his ideal studio (a sphere half underground and a pyramid on top), constant oaths to Sheba, etc. but really A LOT of info. An example (sorry about the file size)...

You MUST find this book.

-kQ

And there is a little blurb about on page 6 of synapse magazine Vol.1 No. 6 here:

http://www.cyndustries.com/synapse/intro.cfm
construct09
post some pics?!?!
fluxmonkey
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=DeVoe&sts=t&tn=Electr onmusic
TheDegenerateElite
Yup. Like I said, it is expensive on abe books.

Got the book. Text is in brown ink, so it is being difficult to scan anything, so a few pics will take a bit.

It is handwritten, like the old Mims electronics books, only this is balnk paper, not a graph grid, so it is rather...free form. All the drawings are hand done by the author. Some of the text is crisp and neat, other times it is very scrawled and hard to read, almost like it was written late at night while drunk.

The book is very West Coast, 60s-70s in tone and style. It seems to place emphasis on experimentation and just sort of flowing with what you find. The tape recorder ios the most important instrument. Later in the book there are extensive patch diagrams and examples using the EML 101.

The dedication in the front reads "This work is humbly dedicated to the first and greatest composer of them all: SHIVA, the Hindu creator/destroyer deity, whose music and dance awalened matter and energy from the sleep of Pralaya and brought the universe into existence."

Other choice phrases

"Moog is not God! Although it may come as a surprise to Robert Moog and Walter Carlos, the universe of *NEW* music was not created in seven days by the synthesizer."

"We need to understand that the modern ide of thes core is that it is a POINT OF DEPARTURE, a stimulant for highly creative, very individual interpretation. Scores which are specific, detailed and precise are most likey to be intended for computers - rather than performers."

On page 65, right before the Synth chapeter, there is a certificate and oath you have to swear to before procedeing.

"I do solemnly swear under threat of the wrath of Shiva and the vengeance of Beethoven that I will read the manual for this synthesizer from cover to cover, and that I will abide by it.

I swear further that I will study this chapeter in ELECTRONMUSIC with equal vigor until i know more about this synthesizer than the people who made it.

I further promise to make surf, wind, siren, and gunshot noises only once with this synthesizer and get those little cliches out of my system."

or here is a class assignment from the first chapter

"3. If you presentyl write music, deliberately write a piece which violates everythin you hold sacred in music. Write ANTI-MUSIC. Turn the paper and write across the lines."

Simple. Ha

Very interesting so far.
TheDegenerateElite
Here is something else I found reading through this book.

Apparently the author wrote it, and the example compositions featured in it, while his studio was set up in a wall tent at a campground in Tom's River, New Jersey.
Sir Ruff
TheDegenerateElite wrote:
Found it after lots of advanced searching and filters in online catalog!!!!!
Looks like it was published by EML afterall.

Author DeVoe, Robert A.
Title Electronmusic : a comprehensive handbook / Robert A. DeVoe.
Publication Info Vernon, Conn. : Electronic Music Laboratories, c1977.

Description vi, 175 p. : ill. ; 28 cm

I will go grab it tomorrow and give a report.

And it is another expensive one on amazon and abebooks.

Awesome... we have this in our library! Wonder if it will help me come up with any 101 masterpieces. (Frankly, I'm just excited to know out music library is well stocked enough to have it.)
TheDegenerateElite
It has quite a few hints on it and several patches, which are, oddly enough typed and printed. They may just be an inclusion from EML to round out the book and not part of the author's writing.
leeski
Wow great find would love to get to see some of it.
applause
mrfang
I'd love to see the 101 patch examples.

Anyone interested in pooling money so that one of us can buy and scan a copy of it?
Sir Ruff
mrfang wrote:

Anyone interested in pooling money so that one of us can buy and scan a copy of it?

If no one else does first, I will get the copy out next week and scan it.
mrfang
Sir Ruff wrote:
mrfang wrote:

Hero! It's peanut butter jelly time!
mrfang
Sir Ruff wrote:

Ping!
thresholdpeople
Yes, please Sir Ruff!
NYMo
Yes please...I'm another 101 owner hihi

Cheers
construct09
nodnod
Jiva
I know this post is old, and maybe no one cares at this point but I thought I’d respond here, since I know a thing or two about this book. You see, it was written by my dad, Robert DeVoe.

First, how’d I get here? Well, I was having dinner with some coworkers, and one of them mentioned he was into synthesizers, so I said “Wow! That’s cool. My dad wrote a book about synthesizers back in the 70s.” And he was very curious about it, so I did a quick google search for his book, and came across this thread.

The story related above about him writing it in a campground in Jersey is probably true. My family were hippies. My dad taught art at Fairleigh Dickinson university. He met my mother there when she was a student of his. He received a grant from the national endowment of the arts to “Record the sounds of America” and we traveled all over the United States in a Volkswagen Mini-Bus, camping all along the way. During this trip, he worked on this book. When he finished his grant work, we moved to Newtown Pennsylvania, where he then set up his synthesizer studio.,

I couldn’t tell you much about the synthesizers themselves, because I was very young. But I do very distinctly remember hanging out in his studio and playing with the synthesizers. He had a whole wall of oscilloscopes and tape recorders and keyboards. It was amazing. He recorded existing classical music performed on his synthesizers, as well as wrote his own music. He produced and starred in a radio show broadcast by the university.

The show itself was pretty incredible, and showcased his music as performed on his synthesizers. He actually won an award for it at one point. The Armstrong Award for Excellence in FM Broadcasting. I still have quite a few of his reel-to-reel tapes, which I have slowly been working on digitizing. Here’s a link to one I uploaded for my family to listen to: https://soundcloud.com/jiva-devoe/through-the-looking-glass

Anyway, just thought I’d chime in. If you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer them, though I don’t know much of the synth tech details. I have a copy of the book, so happy to pass along whatever info I can.

Thanks, and have a good one.
construct09
Welcome Jiva, thanks for chiming in on this thread.
mrfang
Hi Jiva! Thanks for sharing information about your dad!

I finally found a copy of his book, which is a highly entertaining exploration of his synthesis ideas and philosophies.

I bought it because I hoped it would give me some new ways to understand my EML synths, but I think it would actually appeal to anyone here. I don't have the ability to scan it, but maybe someone else will.
foliephonics
There's one on amazon.com but seller will not ship to France... waah cry angry
sduck
Is this book copyrighted, and if so, is it still covered? If not, get it to one of us that can scan it - I'd be happy to do so, as long as there aren't any copyright issues.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2