MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Curetronic Power Supply suitable?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Curetronic Power Supply suitable?
TimeActor
Hello @all,
i don´t want to solder the power supply for my oakley synth!
Is the following power supply suitable for me?
(i´ve 22 Moduls)

Thx
Martin
JohnLRice
You mean this one here?
http://www.curetronic.com/curetrbau/neubau/power.htm

+/-15V @ 1.6A

It would be best to add up the power requirements of all your modules to know if this supply is a reasonable one or not.

All modules don't use the same amount of power so there is no safe way to tell without doing the math.

If I were to guess, I'd say yes/probably but, it is best to be sure! thumbs up
TimeActor
Hello John,
yes sorry i forgot the link!
(In your link i didn´t know that psu - it could be a better solution than the one in my link!?)

Here the other one:
http://www.bild-schall.com/product/curetronic-power-one-15v

Where to read the power amount of my oakley moduls?
Edit say: "i´ve found it!" 8_)
TimeActor
All the moduls need roundabout 600mA.
That isn´t much and 1,1 A or 1,6 A is more than i need yet.

Is every of the two psu decent (also quality for low noise and other) for my needs and of course for two okley dizzy´s?

Much Thx!
Happy Easter
DickyKnee
Switch modes. Lookalike/rebadged meanwells. The one in the frame looks identical to a T-40C.
TimeActor
Hello DickyKnee,
thank you! I bought a used but in good condition meanwell T-40C psu at ebay for roundabout 15,- Euro incl. shipping 1 hour before because i didn't know about meanwell so your posting was very helpfull!
I think it was a good deal isn´t it?
DickyKnee
I recognised the one in the image because i've got one sitting here... i pulled out of a rubbish bin at work wink

seriously, no idea what they are worth.
JohnLRice
TimeActor wrote:
All the moduls need roundabout 600mA.
That isn´t much and 1,1 A or 1,6 A is more than i need yet.

Is every of the two psu decent (also quality for low noise and other) for my needs and of course for two okley dizzy´s?

Much Thx!
Happy Easter

Yes, I think you should be fine. thumbs up I've never used those supplies but since they are sold by a modular manufacturer it is probably safe to assume they will work correctly.
TimeActor
Thank you john!
Now the complementation of my modular will not get to many weeks i think.
Synthbuilder
Just remember that particular power supply is a switch mode type. There are few things to note about these types of power supply.

Firstly, and most importantly, they have exposed high voltage areas on the module. This includes some of the heatsinks and other sticky out bits. It is essential that these points do not come into contact with any person when the unit is live, or even shortly after power down. It is preferable to mount the whole thing well away from stray fingers and if possible house it in an earthed metal perforated box. A standard supply like this should have cases already ready made for this very purpose.

Secondly, the emitted radio frequency radiation that these things give out is not to be underestimated. Certain modules may pick up this up and the overall noise of the modular will be higher than it would be with a linear power supply. Again an earthed metal case for the power supply will help here. Generally speaking a power supply like this is not designed to be fitted into a wooden case which offers no shielding.

Thirdly, noise on the output power rails will be higher than on an equivalent linear supply. This shouldn't be a problem with most newer power supplies... but it is there and will increase the overall noise output of your modular.

Fourthly, they do give off some heat, although not anywhere near as much as a linear would do. They do, however, need some airflow to stay cool.

Finally, when these things go bad they do it usually with a big bang and lots of smoke. Generally, they are pretty reliable but nowhere near as reliable as a well designed linear.

Tony
TimeActor
Very good to know...thank you Tony!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1