MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analog Supersaw take 3
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Analog Supersaw take 3
Tronketz
http://www.elanhickler.com/misc/analog_castle.mp3

Third real attempt at create a supersaw with one analog oscillator. Overdubbed 16 x 2 times (for polyphony of 2) plus two more overdubs to create a "master saw" used as a dry/wet control. What I mean by this is that I have 16 saws playing at once at equal volume level at same pitch with an additional saw (17th saw) that is louder than the 16 saws. I could make the 17th saw quieter making the supersaw wet or make the 17th saw louder to make the supersaw dry.

MOTM-310 Oscillator [FM In] <-- MOTM-101 [S&H Out]
MOTM-310 --> MOTM-440 --> MOTM-190 VCA --> DAW
DAW [Gradually increasing DC Offset for slowly opening filter] --> MOTM-440 [FM In]

>MOTM-101
Speed: 10
Level: 10
Slew: 0.5

>MOTM-310
FM: 0.7

IMPORTANT: Pan half saws hard left and other half hard right.

This would be easier if I had a second oscillator to do polyphony instead having to record everything twice smile
Kent
Welcome back, Argitoth! applause
Tronketz
d'oh!
krisp14u
Kent wrote:
Welcome back, Argitoth! applause

that's exactly what i thought

happy new year Elan Mr. Green
Muff Wiggler
yay I missed being told that the things I like to listen to are "unmusical" very frustrating
Tronketz
4th attempt, based on an audio demo of Native Instruments Massive by Adam Van Baker

http://www.elanhickler.com/misc/poppy_supersaw.mp3

--POPPY TRANCE PLUCK--
MOTM-310 Oscillator [FM In] <-- MOTM-101 [S&H Out]
MOTM-440 [FM In] <-- MOTM-800
MOTM-310 --> MOTM-440 --> MOTM-190 --> DAW

>MOTM-101
Speed: 10
Level: 10
Slew: 1.5

>MOTM-310
FM: 0.7

>MOTM-800
Attack: 0
Decay: 3.4
Sustain: 0
Release: 4.5
D/A A/D
This thread has absolutely nothing to do with synth noise... If I catch you posting shit like this in synth noise, there will be consequences...

Severe consequences...

Moved.
flippantminister
D/A A/D wrote:
Severe consequences...

thumbs up
drewtoothpaste
The... The most perfect sine wave... A single tear falls on an analog module.
attacksustain
drewtoothpaste wrote:

Perfect sines are so 2009. It's all about the perfect (super)saw now.
NV
attacksustain wrote:

Perfect sines are so 2009. It's all about the perfect (super)saw now.

A supersaw with absolutely no harmonic content. I wouldn't believe it myself had I not seen it with my own eyes.
Atticus
Tronketz wrote:
http://www.elanhickler.com/misc/analog_castle.mp3

That is a beautiful sound. thumbs up
baboo
I love the sound!! but at the same time I don't get how it's done hmmm.....
by "overdubbed" you mean that you use multiples and mixers for the same output or you record it and multiply tracks in your DAW?

what does such overdubbing do to the sound? Is it means of amplifying the signal that leaves the filter so that harmonic content is removed but a single output would be of too low amplitude??

I kind of feel ashamed now oops I have the necessary modules, yet such supersaws have never been created on my synth..
MyPasswordIs123456
Wow very impressive. I'm also interested to know how you pulled this off. I probably wouldn't have the patience to replicate this but I'm curious.
Audio Resistance
Now you 3 must bow to Argitoths powers.... Russian Roulette
Tronketz
baboo wrote:
I love the sound!! but at the same time I don't get how it's done hmmm.....
by "overdubbed" you mean that you use multiples and mixers for the same output or you record it and multiply tracks in your DAW?

Apologies, I thought this thread died and so I didn't come to check on its replies. I'll try to explain the process.

You need to have the oscillator drifting in pitch chaotically. This way, when you overdub the oscillator 16 times, you get a spread of random pitches. You are not creating the supersaw in the traditional way; that is, turning the fine-tune knob slightly after each overdub. That would be even more time-consuming and leaves lots of room for human error.

How do you get the oscillator to drift in pitch chaotically? Noise. The key is to figure out how much drift you want and how fast the pitch should wobble up and down. So far, I've been using the internal clock, noise, S&H, and slew of the MOTM-101. I'm still expirimenting trying to find the right balance of all settings. The greater the pitch drift, the bigger and fuzzier the supersaw. The faster the pitch drift, the more "angry" it will sound... or something... hmmm.....

I'll be doing more supersaw expiriments when my MOTM-101 comes back from Paul Schrieber (turns out my MOTM-101's white and pink noise outputs were very low in volume due to using "quiet" diodes)
bf
I only use diodes that go to 11.
baboo
nice, I have a Analogue soutions s&h that has internal noise source and slew limiter- should be cool, I'll just have to put the output through an attenuator to control the pitch shifting ammount.... I'll try that later. thanks! we're not worthy
Tronketz
Baboo, to answer your earlier question, I use a DAW and record take after take of drifting oscillators.

Also, if you don't have S&H / Slew, you can use any type of noise source and a lowpass filter. More filtering = slower pitch drift. It may not work as well because a good pitch spread requires the pitch to drift away from the original pitch as opposed to constantly crossing the original pitch. I'll try to illustrate:

gaslampmusehog
Late to the party, so happy we're here!!!
Tronketz
http://www.elanhickler.com/misc/supersaw_increasing_anger.mp3

Three different speeds of the S&H clock and changing amount of FM

Note: To get an angry supersaw, use white noise as the clock.
sandyb
waah
ach_gott
Well done!
doctorvague
drewtoothpaste wrote:

Drew gets my vote for post of the week.
hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi

Watch out for that 17th saw wave - it changes everything.

And 13's my limit on schnitzen-grüben.
parasitk
Sweet. Really captures that vintage JP8000 sound.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2