MMM going DIY

Dedicated forum for the MMM synth modules, both production and DIY units.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, mmm

bf
Buck Futter

MMM going DIY

Post by bf » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:57 pm

futuresoundsystems
<3 CMOS

Post by futuresoundsystems » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:01 pm

Awesome! :)
Unique designs and ideas in sound since 2005:
http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

johnnymad
turbo wiggler

Post by johnnymad » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:15 pm

:yay: you can never have enough diy modules! it's good to see another builder getting into kits.

chinard
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chinard » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:26 pm

awesome idea!
:guinness:

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:46 pm

Nice. Too bad he isn't just offering PCBs w/parts lists and instructions for true DIY.

RF
Common Wiggler

Post by RF » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:59 pm

ottobot wrote:Nice. Too bad he isn't just offering PCBs w/parts lists and instructions for true DIY.
I second that!

bruce
www.sdiy.org/rfeng
"This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. And this is the preamplifier, which, of course, amplifies the pree."
-Bullwinkle

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pugix » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:19 pm

I hope he will include a schematic diagram at least.
Richard
http://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

redmartian
Learning to Wiggle

Post by redmartian » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:36 pm

pugix wrote:I hope he will include a schematic diagram at least.

No joke. It would be cool if we could just download the schematic from his
website, source the parts ourselves and build them without him being involved
at all. Then it would be DIY .. No one dies and we stick it to the man.

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:21 am

ouch! :deadbanana:

I think this is great! I'm hoping more people get into the 'bare-bones' or populated / calibrated boards game.

'true DIY' ? :lol:

This way makes more sense as a way of opening up a closed system to other modular users without having to spend 90% of your time assisting people assemble kits via email etc.

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:59 am

Technically, the cosmetics are DIY.

I'm just trying to open up my stuff for the guys that have a knack for doing that sort of thing.

I just posted the prices for the boards I'm ready to release on they're own on my WIKI. All of them hover right around $75.00

I told one guy that the DIY'ers out there range from "doing it all" to drawing graphics on a piece of cardboard with a Sharpee. Or, anywhere in between.

I have one guy that wants a full set to mount in a box and make his own hardwired system.

But, this is what I'm offering after a lot of suggestions. Some people will like it, some won't. I hope more people like the option than not.

G

suitandtieguy
Hammond King

Post by suitandtieguy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:55 am

this is great, i'm glad you're doing it George.
http://suitandtieguy.com
http://stgsoundlabs.com
suboptimal wrote:... if it's music you want to make with your modular, STG should be in your system.

CZ Rider
Veteran Wiggler

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:33 am

mmm wrote: I just posted the prices for the boards I'm ready to release on they're own on my WIKI. All of them hover right around $75.00
G
Thats fantastic news!
I remember the old "roll your own" adds for Emu, where they sold just the circuit boards, you did the rest. EML did the same, offering little sub modules, very handy. And the start of DIY for me back in the 70's.
Might be fun for me to build up a performance synthesizer out of them? :tu:
I really like the idea of offering assembled boards.
Thanks George!

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:21 am

cool idea.
thanks George :goo:

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:41 am

I think it's great. Making it easier for people to port modules to other platforms without building them from scratch is an excellent idea.

I wish more vendors would consider this. Or go multi-format as STG has, to some extent MOTM has, Wiard (w/ Malekko) has and hopefully Ken MacBeth will :tu:.

George's approach is clever, and I think in excellent spirit.

edit: typos

johnnymad
turbo wiggler

Post by johnnymad » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:09 pm

i still think it's a great idea even if it isn't "true" diy. you've got to start somewhere.

ach_gott
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ach_gott » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks George! :yay:

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:26 pm

this is really great, thanks for doing this. hoping this helps make your project financially sustainable. and echoing richard's sentiment, hoping for schemos...

happy new year!

b
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:14 pm

I really hate to deny people things but, I won't be releasing my schematics. Sorry guys.

I have over $100K and Lord knows how much time in designing and developing my circuits. I went into this knowing that the circuits are my creations or owned by me and I didn't grab public domain material. I could have copied prior stuff but, I wouldn't have felt "right". It really was a personal challenge for my peace of mind.

Scott Rise of division-6 designed my MIDI circuit and software, and Jim Patchell and I collaborated on the filter design. I have to pay them on a fee-per-piece basis. I asked both of them to do this for me because my time was booked with everything else going on. I am really grateful that they took those tasks on for me. Thanks guys.

I guess I could have just paid off my mortgage and not done this but...well, you guys know about this stuff. I think there's a synth gene that forces us to dive into this art form. It doesn't necessarily make us think rationally but, it's a LOT of fun :eek:

Please understand, thanks.

G

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:35 pm

redmartian wrote:
pugix wrote:I hope he will include a schematic diagram at least.

No joke. It would be cool if we could just download the schematic from his
website, source the parts ourselves and build them without him being involved
at all. Then it would be DIY .. No one dies and we stick it to the man.
:lol:
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ - Waldorf Microwave II . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . Microvolt 3900 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Good thing i have 2 extra 3u cases sitting around. No, wait, three.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ - Waldorf Microwave II . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . Microvolt 3900 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:16 pm

You rawk, George! :sb: Thanks for doing this!

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Whoops, stupid comment... please disregard.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:05 pm

fully understand, and respect, your choice.

speaking for myself as a DIYer, the biggest draw for this would be to incorporate these into my format of choice... which is physically larger than the mini, and so i'd have to opportunity to expand the functionality a bit, say adding additional ins to the filter, or multiple FM ins to the osc. so supporting that kind of modification, as well as repair, is the reason behind wanting documentation, not stealing the designs.

the other mfgs that support diy (paul, tony, john) all include their schemos to paying customers only, with the restriction that they are not to be redistributed... that's seemed to work ok, but not perfectly, for them. and i think paul's even stated that its trivial for anyone to reverse-engineer the schematic for anything that's not potted, so in practical terms there aren't any secrets, anyway.

but again, i'm sure you've thought all these thing thru; i wouldn't second-guess you on what will be best for the future of your project, which i very much hope will succeed & grow. planning on picking up a couple boards myself, in any event.

allbests
bbob

mmm wrote:I really hate to deny people things but, I won't be releasing my schematics. Sorry guys.

I have over $100K and Lord knows how much time in designing and developing my circuits. I went into this knowing that the circuits are my creations or owned by me and I didn't grab public domain material. I could have copied prior stuff but, I wouldn't have felt "right". It really was a personal challenge for my peace of mind.

Scott Rise of division-6 designed my MIDI circuit and software, and Jim Patchell and I collaborated on the filter design. I have to pay them on a fee-per-piece basis. I asked both of them to do this for me because my time was booked with everything else going on. I am really grateful that they took those tasks on for me. Thanks guys.

I guess I could have just paid off my mortgage and not done this but...well, you guys know about this stuff. I think there's a synth gene that forces us to dive into this art form. It doesn't necessarily make us think rationally but, it's a LOT of fun :eek:

Please understand, thanks.

G
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

frijitz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frijitz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:13 am

DGTom wrote:I think this is great! I'm hoping more people get into the 'bare-bones' or populated / calibrated boards game.
Hey folks, don't forget that Bridechamber has a huge selection of high-quality DIY projects, and you can order boards, kits, panels, however suits you.

There are also plenty of free schematics on my website.

:grin:

Ian

mmm
yummm!

Post by mmm » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:54 am

fluxmonkey wrote:fully understand, and respect, your choice.

speaking for myself as a DIYer, the biggest draw for this would be to incorporate these into my format of choice... which is physically larger than the mini, and so i'd have to opportunity to expand the functionality a bit, say adding additional ins to the filter, or multiple FM ins to the osc.

Actually, multiple inputs, attenuators and distribution are kind of what I had in mind for the mixer and buffered multiple. There really isn't room on my panels to do that but, can be easily implemented at the panel level.

Just let me know what you're up to and I'll help figure it out. I'm easy. Sometimes, those are the fun part of the process.[/quote]

Return to “Mattson Mini Modular”