MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

TouellSkouarn Strakal Brulu Kit - Build Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author TouellSkouarn Strakal Brulu Kit - Build Thread
Monobass
More info here - https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108694&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=0

Build doc - http://www.thonk.co.uk/documents/strakal/

KEY BUILD ADVICE

Modify All Four Pots

Small Transistor

Large Transistor

Strakal Brulu {re greñv eo} DIY Kit

JOIN WISHLIST HERE - http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/touellskouarn-strakal-brulu/

Several kits have already sold, they are being released in small batches as I have to test (and discard many) all of the vintage Transistors prior to shipping.

* 8hp / Red ink 'AluPrint' Aluminium panel
* Selected NOS Soviet military germanium transistors
* Input/output volume / feedback / fuzz with cv control
* Handy knobs for controlling chaos
* Eurorack standard supply, red facing down
* Designed in Plougastel-Daoulas, France
* Kits packed in Brighton, UK
* Stupid breton name

gbiz
I was hoping to get mine built up over the weekend, but the heater element in my soldering iron decided to pack up on saturday cry
Monobass
bad business gbiz!

well I highly advise everyone to wait for the build manual as there are a couple of really key things not to be missed

1) Pots need minor modifications.
2) Build order is important or you end up desoldering pots.
3) Transistor orientation is not obvious, follow the build doc closely
4) Calibration
gbiz
I'd seen your warnings about that Monobass, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise ...
Monobass
Build doc is up - http://www.thonk.co.uk/documents/strakal/
CliffordMilk
Built it last night. Sounds lovely with several sweet spots. Glad I waited for the build doc as I would definitely have screwed up on the transistors!
Monobass
great thumbs up

It's definitely one of those where the relationship of the 4 knobs to the output is utterly non-linear, particularly the input and output gain. I keep finding new sweet spots all the time smile
woodster
Gnargh Rockin' Banana!

258j via this Fuzz sounds super fuuking brutal thru a 300 watt bass amp MY ASS IS BLEEDING
I doubt the neighbors appreciate it twisted

As ever, a real quality kit, well packaged and superbly documented.
Many thanks Thonks, and mega props to Haiku-ish for producing such a beast thumbs up
Monobass
Now that I have to hear smile
woodster
If I turn it up some more you may well catch it in Hove if the wind is right hihi
Monobass
nice vid from littlem4tt

[/quote]
jgb
Finished mine yesterday, works perfectly. Got stuck for some hour just tweaking a 303 through it... love

Step 20 in the build manual should say C4 instead of C6 though.

A tip regarding calibrating the -6V, I cut the legs for E&B on the larger transistor, and just bent the leg for C out the side of the module for easy access, snipped it once it was calibrated.
Monobass
thanks jgb will tweak the manual now, good tip on leaving the C leg long!
Monobass
Also a note on the trimming, it's totally fine to do it by ear too.. setting it to -5.5V to -6V is just the 'factory default' if you like.
Reality Checkpoint
Just finished building mine.

What a cracking module, and yet again most excellent build documents.
nidas
I finished mine tonight. I have a problem calibrating the unit. No katter how i turn the trimmer i constantly have - 11.2.
Does this make sense to anybody ?

I Will start fresh tomorrow going through the pcb and see if i have made something obvious wrong. I have gone through it a couple of Times' already. But its getting late.

Cheers
mckenic
nidas wrote:
I finished mine tonight. I have a problem calibrating the unit. No katter how i turn the trimmer i constantly have - 11.2.

I Will start fresh tomorrow going through the pcb and see if i have made something obvious wrong. I have gone through it a couple of Times' already. But its getting late.

Cheers

YES!

Exact same thing but Im stuck at -3.6v no matter what! Nothing changes until all three knobs are at about 2 o' clock and then I get fart noises. I was using a uZeus and just now moved to my main case hoping it would be the PSU. Will report again tomorrow!
Monobass
nidas wrote:

Cheers

Nidas just to be torally sure, you're definitely metering the collector on the right transistor?

How is it sounding? Does changing the trimmer change the sound? what is your negative rail voltage reading out of interest? Might be worth double checking with a multimeter that you don't have continuity between your negative rail and ground.
Monobass
mckenic wrote:
Exact same thing but Im stuck at -3.6v no matter what! Nothing changes until all three knobs are at about 2 o' clock and then I get fart noises. I was using a uZeus and just now moved to my main case hoping it would be the PSU. Will report again tomorrow!

Couple of things to check:

* Is the trimmer definitely working? do you see the voltage on the middle pin change when you turn it?

* Is the vactrol definitely installed correctly?
ClausF
Finished mine today, no problems with trimming, the -6V are reached near the end of the trimmer.
Works as shown in the Video, upper left pot must be very high, then the sound changes with the middle big one. And I also have the "chirp" at clockwise position (also with no input)
nidas
Hi again,

Damnit I see now that my vactrol is not properly installed... The yellow dot is not closest to the + sign on the pcb its on the other side...

Maybe that explains alot...

Will fix that tonigt and test again.
Thanks for the great support !
nidas
Ok - I´m still having problems...

I ordered a new vactrol (my old lost a leg when i desoldered and tried to install it properly..). I´ve soldered the new vactrol properly this time..

I still have a constant -11.2 when I measure no matter how I turn the trimmer...

My sound is muffled through the unit if I don´t turn it up past 2 and alomsot full gain on input and output..

Any ideas?
Monobass
Speaking directlynwith Nidas about this one.
mckenic
Sorry to be a PITA...

Hoping you chaps can spot something simple that I did stupid - I cant see it and can only get a max of -3.74v where I should be getting -6v. Sorry for the size of the pics - its a bugger to photograph sitting on your lap with the iPad in one hand, lamp in the other!

The water tower thingy:

The UFO Thingy:

The UFO thingys red spot and Vactrol blotch thingy:

Hoping its something simple I did ass ways - many thanks for any help folks!
Dave
Monobass
Hi Dave,

First off, I have amended the manual, as a few people have the module working perfectly but don't get anywhere near the -6v figure either, so I've amended the instructions see the updated version - http://www.thonk.co.uk/documents/strakal/Strakal_Brulu_Build_Doc_v1.2. pdf

If you think it's not working properly despite that voltage thing, can you explain how it is working or post a vid? It might be fine.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4