MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

V-Synth sample power!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author V-Synth sample power!
Cymatics
Can any V synth owners share some demos of the sampling capabilities? There's surprisingly little on youtube, and I'm really interested to hear how it can mangle any sound into an instrument.

Even descriptions of the extent of its power are welcome!
REwire
I just got a V2 original mostly for the supersaw and feedback osc but then transferred some modular waveforms to it and it blew me away. Polyphonic modular is a blast especially when you can combine any combo of PCM and VA waves and RM or FM them.

The best happened when I went through my collection of lost vintage synth sounds used in demos and songs and got like 5 second loops of beating isolated and stacked oscs of my EML101, Synthi, ARP2600, MiniMoog, Synthacon, Prophet5, MKS80, OScar, Wretch, Buchla, TB303, OB-8 Etc. Nothing sounds cooler than taking all the original patches and switching them with your own stuff. I can make patches with Synthi Saws and Synthacon Pulses or any other combo. Sometimes sample 3 detuned saws together and combine with 3 Pulses on the other. More fun than my modular has been. I am working on a demo of the Vsynth with these analog oscs that I will post in a while.

The Vsynth really stretches a single wave loop across the keyboard nicely but the D-beam and XY pad let me twist everything and the effects inside are seriously deep. Only down side is the filters are not very analog sounding but... try sampling a sound through a high resonance filter and then filter it down with the Vsynth filter to get the original's filter sound.

Dan
Cymatics
Thanks for the info! That's got me thinking it would be a good way to make some of my MEK patches somewhat polyphonic.

What I'm really interested in is what it can do with found sounds - I have the sound of a WW2 Stuka plane saved on a disk for my S612, just playing that back on a pendulum loop through some effects makes for a really cool texture. I'd love to hear what a vsynth could manage with sounds like this as a starting point..
REwire
The part of the Vsynth I haven't messed much with yet is the Variphrase ability. It can keep the timing of loops across the keyboard while changing the pitch. Great for drum loops but really granular sounding on synth waves in that mode. For static effect sounds like your Stuka I think it would be awesome. The XY pad has a time trip mode that scrambles the loop all around almost like record scratching and pitch shifting. The amount of COSM effects can seriously alter the sounds.

Many have hated the VSynth's sound as a synth, I actually would have already dumped it if not had it resurrected my synth collection. It's always been highly praised for it programming and sample mangling. But, since it's not a REAL sampler, as in you can't load in multisamples, one shots like your effects and my single pitch samples are its strong suit.

I use the PC application to drag and drop samples right in it and save. I haven't tried to record in to it but it seems real good at that. Way better than my old EMU ESI-32

Dan
pieuvre
Cymatics wrote:
I have the sound of a WW2 Stuka plane saved on a disk for my S612,.

lol
Cymatics
pieuvre wrote:
Cymatics wrote:
I have the sound of a WW2 Stuka plane saved on a disk for my S612,.

lol

seriously, i just don't get it it's a creepy sound and the 612 is the shit ! SlayerBadger!
Jason Brock
Samplers with knobs and sliders are my most favorite pieces of gear. I've never owned a V-synth, but I have a VP-9000 which is just the sampling engine of the V-synth. I like the S612 too for the same reasons, so I bet you would have fun with a V-synth or VP. It's very quick and easy to take an innocuous sample and turn it into something completely different with a few knob twists. Here is a quick soundcloud example I posted a few months ago - just a spoken word sample from Youtube slowed down into glitch heaven. I will try to record some other examples this weekend for you.

https://soundcloud.com/soundxplorer/roland-vp-9000
sydilaxe
Yeah, now I see what all of the fuss is about with the 612. It is a really nice complement to the vsynth. I have been using it almost exclusively with an external mic, really cool timbres can be found by playing with the sliders. Ring modulating a sample with an external signal or fming it with another sample is another unique feature of the vsynth. Love it.
Cymatics
Can anyone else share any more vsynth sounds or opinions? I might trade my MEK for a Vsynth (recently got a PEK) but am not 100% sure.
flo
I have a V-Synth XT and I love it!

I bought it specifically for sampling, IMO there's two philosophies of sampling: "synth" oriented sampling and "rhythm" oriented sampling. IMO the V-Synth is the boss for the former and MPCs for the latter.

The ability to keep the formants over the keyboard is fantastic. Especially since you have control over those formants. I love to keytrack them again, LFOs are very cool as well. Changing and modulating the speed of the sample is fun as well. Slowing it way down will give granular effects. Keytracking the speed to again give the classic sampler feeling is cool too. But you can also just switch off the Variphrase to give classic sampler behaviour.

Modulation options are plenty, though I sometimes wish there was more than one LFO per "module". But there's pretty much an ADSR per parameter section so that makes up for it. Audio routing options are somewhat limited, but useful to have the few variation for sure.

I don't use the VA side much, but it's ok to sometimes add an osc or a noise to something. The filters are not really "analog" sounding, but you can work them to sound interesting. And there's heaps of effects that are cool as well.

There are a few negatives... The storage system is a bit annoying. Not hard to remember, just a bit misplaced. There can be bugs in sample encoding, so that clicks and pops occur at the looping point where there were none while editing the sample (bit hit and miss, haven't detected any regular patterns here). There are different encoding methods and some things have to be encoded with algorithms that don't allow formant control afterwards (mostly "additive" samples, chords and such - it would treat the upper tones as formants, resulting in "one tone" patches). Also the synth can sometimes crash. Another point is that polyphony is reduced very fast. All that said the V-Synth is well worth it nevertheless!

I don't really have any demos ready but can assure you that this is awesome for sampling. They are rather cheap too on the used market. I went for the XT version because of space and the integrated V-Cards. I find the interface to be totally intuitive and easy to get around, so the lack of controls compared to the key versions is not worth the space for me, have too many keyboards already.

I personally would trade the MEK for a V-Synth in a heartbeat, especially if you have a PEK. What version would it be?

Cheers! Guinness ftw!
Cymatics
@Flo

The vsynth? It's an original version 2.0
I'd be trading a PE MEK.

Thanks for the info, I'm interested in it most from a sound design perspective. Making weird textures, instruments from found sounds, and sounds that can morph... (eg. could you make a sound thats starts off with a person screaming but then becomes a lead line? )

Also I mess around with degrading cassettes and stuff like that, would it be good for sampling a noisy tape-hissy lofi monophonic synth sound and making it into a dreamy pad ?

Without having a chance to try one, I'm getting the impression it would be great for this, a really good synth for truly psychedelic sounds.
flo
It excels at sound design. You can easily set up a patch that morphes between the two samples (there's a "VCA" + ADSR in the osc section, as well as the final "VCA"). Resampling it then to have the morphed sample would be easy as well (resampling is very fun on the machine, also a way to get around the poly limitations).

I have a few samples of a self oscillating RE201 and have made an awesome pad patch with those. It's really this sort of experimentation that will lead to great results. I almost exclusively use it for pads and textures and such. And with resampling you can sample the strange things that occur in higher octave registers again (generally samples will play fine +/- 2 octaves and might start to do beautifully strange things beyond those two octaves - resample those for another patch).

Since you have the PEK as well, I'd personally do that trade. I think you will get what you want from the V.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1