MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metalbox dual Wasp
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Metalbox dual Wasp
plord
...has been in house for about 2 weeks. Video demos soon, I tried today but kept being interrupted by dog/child/helicopter(?). It will be a loooong demo, as I intend to show slow sweeps and a sequence for all 4 modes, at several resonance settings, with and without distortion, for single filters AND filters in series.

But first impressions are SlayerBadger! It is definitely a different sound than I have elsewhere and there are more than a few sweet spots. The input is very hot, so unattenuated 10V p-p signals will saturate the filter completely; if you have a 777 and are familiar with what happens when you dime the gain knob on that unit, it's kind of like that, extremely wooly and warm, overwhelms the resonance circuit by quite a bit and takes all the squelch out of the LP mode.

By comparison, the distortion circuit seems to square up the signal right quick, and past the noon mark the overdrive character can eat the input signal alive; that is, whatever you send in the input, it you stack the two filters and max the distortion on the first one, you get a nasty mangled squarish howl as the input to the second. Ripe for abuse. It may be a perception thing, but extreme distortion also seems to cut bass and drop the output volume a little? You tell me when I post the video.

LP mode is very tubby with no resonance, with res will chirp nicely but not oscillate with a single filter (max res, freq to taste, input attenuated about 50%, no distortion). HP mode is very crisp, not as unstable as a Frequensteiner or the GX filter, but not all that precise either. Once I tear down the example patch I will for sure put the LP and HP onto some drums and play with that. The notch doesn't do much for me but it will do the "one pole phaser" trick.

Bandpass mode is very very nice and stacked bandpass with full res in series, complementary CVs (normal and inverted) will talk to you. I have a repeatable example of this that will definitely be in the video, I can't stop tweaking it. Weeeoooorrrrowwww. Come to think of it, this is a trick I do with the Borg's all the time but the Wasps are different!

Stay tuned for videos.
zerosum
Quote:

Stay tuned for videos.

I'm tuned. w00t
el clon
me too! It's peanut butter jelly time!

been wondering about this one...
toothless_wonder
are you teasing us now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????? hmmm..... thumbs up thumbs up
indexofmetals
vids pls.

I've got one on order in bugbrand banana finish, can't wait. I've got two of the cyndustries dual wasp filter but I'm hoping this can replace it and I get rid of all the mod/cyn stuff. i really like the notch in series.
plord
Sorry guys, I got pulled to the other two coasts (Gulf and East) and it keeps slipping. Soon.
Mood Organ
Lookin forwards to the demo
Waz
If you send that module my way, Ill shoot the demo on a red ( http://www.red.com/ ) camera. hihi

Yes I have access to one. 8_)
panda30y
Waz wrote:
If you send that module my way, Ill shoot the demo on a red ( http://www.red.com/ ) camera. hihi

Yes I have access to one. 8_)

And I'll provide the power!
D/A A/D
Subscribed for posterity...
plord
Ok, so here are two snippets of video of the Dual Wasp that don't suck smile

First is a 1min take of both bandpass filters in series. This is a deep, deep well of sounds and my favorite way to stack these filters. Full patch is:
Clockwork -> Klee (some glide) -> Wiard VCO saw -> left filter ->right filter->Blacet linear VCA
Envelator AD env pos output multed to both filters and the VCA
Sequential Switch 8 note sequence pos to left filter, neg to right, attenuated about 75%.

Second is 6 minutes of LFO modulation of the LP mode of a single filter, everything from a slow sweep to audio rate FM, plus an exploration of the input overdrive, distortion, resonance, etc. Full patch is:
Wiard VCO saw -> left LP wasp -> Blacet linear VCA
Blacet Micro LFO sinewave -> CV1 of the filter and VCA
That's it! Oh, and like a doofus I'm blocking the camera in one part, but this was the best of 4 takes so...cope.

I am now taking requests. What do you want to hear from this module?
panda30y
applause
D/A A/D
hyper
Waz
jawdrop
Waz
5m42s on the second video. Hilarious. Someone should sample that and put it in a house song.

"Yeeeeeaaaaaah!"
plord
No requests?
Waz
plord
Freebird!
D/A A/D
plord wrote:
No requests?

HELL YEAH!

I would love to hear 2 similar frequency triangle waves being fed into the two separate filters then combined to see how the wasps effect the beating!!!
Waz
A melodic sequence through the filter would be cool.
Kwote
plord wrote:
Ok, so here are two snippets of video of the Dual Wasp that don't suck smile

First is a 1min take of both bandpass filters in series. This is a deep, deep well of sounds and my favorite way to stack these filters. Full patch is:
Clockwork -> Klee (some glide) -> Wiard VCO saw -> left filter ->right filter->Blacet linear VCA
Envelator AD env pos output multed to both filters and the VCA
Sequential Switch 8 note sequence pos to left filter, neg to right, attenuated about 75%.

Second is 6 minutes of LFO modulation of the LP mode of a single filter, everything from a slow sweep to audio rate FM, plus an exploration of the input overdrive, distortion, resonance, etc. Full patch is:
Wiard VCO saw -> left LP wasp -> Blacet linear VCA
Blacet Micro LFO sinewave -> CV1 of the filter and VCA
That's it! Oh, and like a doofus I'm blocking the camera in one part, but this was the best of 4 takes so...cope.

I am now taking requests. What do you want to hear from this module?

Mmmmmmmm... chewy! The Chewbacca Defense

Killer demo bro!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1