MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New module & design methods:::: CLK2A Division
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author New module & design methods:::: CLK2A Division
BugBrand
Here's the beginning of the new range of CLK Clocking Modules::::

CLK2A - Divisions
- a pulse divider with integer divisions from 2 to 9

Details on the BugSite
Waffle on the BugBlog

What you don't see from the front is just how snazzy & compact things are behind::::

Two PCBs mounted parallel to the front-panel - everything board mounted so no handwiring. And all SMD (surface mount) - otherwise there'd never have been the space...

This is the sort of way my designs will be moving over the coming months in a bid to make things more readily/regularly buildable -- similar things will be happening to modules that use Pots too.

One thing this does mean -- there are no current plans for mini-jack versions -- SORRY!
-- as the banana sockets are board-mounted, I'd need to do a redesign & order separate boards for mini-jack use.
-- I *may* look into these possibilities in the future, but can't offer them for now!

By the way - this is only preliminary announcing so far -- though it shouldn't be too long before a few of these are available (obviously only for the sensible & free-thinking Banana-Frac-Brethren)
the bad producer
Sweet!

(and already sold out!)

Nice one Tom - are they some of the new sockets from rapid?

Charlie
BugBrand
the bad producer wrote:
Sweet!

(and already sold out!)

Nice one Tom - are they some of the new sockets from rapid?

Charlie

Ha - no, not sold out, not even released! - just the way the zencart software works...

Yeah, these are one of the new type banana sockets from Rapid (there's another type that is more like the old type I was using) -- super solid and with removable plastic bits. Nice.

sungja wrote:
Hi Tom,

Amazing plans for the new year, cant wait to see modules develop and becoming more available. Did you change the PCB panel also? Looks like its darker than the others, or maybe its just that picture.

Your prices are insane, will this go for £80? There have to be a mistake, I mean it is way to cheap.

:guinness:

Good eyes -- yes, this panel was done slightly wrong *without* the usual under-layer of copper, hence the slightly darker appearance - this will, of course, be righted imminently! (PCBcart, I think, moved production facility recently and there are a couple of things I need to iron out with them)

I'm not 100% set on the price as yet but I do think I'll remain around that ball park - I think £80-100 for most single modules will be right still.

Of course, availability still ain't .....much..... but I'm working on it!
Cheers!
Cybananna
looks great. I'm still looking forward to putting together a small (yea, right they always grow..) Bug system.

I never seem to have the money when you have modules, or other beat me to them. waah

I love the type, function, and look of your modules so much.
Ekofisk
Extremely bad news. waah

(non-minijack, that is).

It's great that you're getting new modules made, though. Really love the modules I've already got. Wish I was a banana guy.
Best of luck with getting them in production! It's peanut butter jelly time!
BananaPlug
Very nice. I like that the pulse length is equal to one full clock signal rather than being a square or near square.
parasitk
applause Looks great, Tom!

Those PCB mounted banana jacks are pretty cool too!
panda30y
Dead Banana ambulance

Holy Shit! we're not worthy
DGTom
love Lotsa Love

Those board mount bananas are so crazy. we're not worthy indeed!

For any mini-Fraccers dissapointed, if you can solder a cable / mult. you can go banana! It really is very simple & you get back WAY more than you put; the risk VS reward ratio is so heavily weighted to the latter its not funny!!

BananaPlug wrote:
Very nice. I like that the pulse length is equal to one full clock signal rather than being a square or near square.

this is great for sure!!
KNYST
This will be some trip!
I'm ready to add it to my system when you are, Tom!
BugBrand
Cheers guys!

Now with video:::

That's interesting what you're saying about the pulse lengths -- ideally I'd have liked a switch to allow 50% duty cycle too (that's how it is in the Nord G2 and I like) - unfortunately that is too darn clever for me, so we just have the short lenghts (that's how the 4017s work).

And YES to Knyst!
mono-poly
Now you need a switch with it !
I love the demo bad for my GAS.
ix
very cool tom , looking forward to this one .

BugBrand wrote:
Cheers guys!

Now with video:::
And YES to Knyst!
DGTom
BugBrand wrote:

That's interesting what you're saying about the pulse lengths -- ideally I'd have liked a switch to allow 50% duty cycle too (that's how it is in the Nord G2 and I like) - unfortunately that is too darn clever for me, so we just have the short lenghts (that's how the 4017s work).

Just speaking for myself, with a Blacet Frequency Divider, which is based on a binary counter, having both adds another layer of "intelligance" to any logic operations. So, instead of just "if A AND B" you also get "for as long as A AND B"

if that makes sense... having a switch would be cool, but, having both, is more better!
BananaPlug
Quote:
That's interesting what you're saying about the pulse lengths --

Well, BOTH is always nice but I have a bunch of dividers and they ALL do square waves (nearly square for the odd divisions) soit would be nice to have the alternative. I end up using additional logic to select an "original" clock pulse when the edge comes along.
The thing is, it's nice sometimes to have your rhythmic divider stuff conveying a varying pulse width (the master clock's clock width) to the various outputs so you can have gates to ADSRs that all track in terms of note length.
Suggestion: Make a flip flop module! Then just feed the CLK2A outputs to the flip flops to get squares at half the rate. Flip flops are real useful and you hardly ever see them on a synth.

I loved the last minute or so of that demo It's peanut butter jelly time!
KNYST
sungja wrote:
Your prices are insane, will this go for £80? There have to be a mistake, I mean it is way to cheap.

Guinness ftw!

If compared to single panels by Blacet, £80 seems fair.
Looking in euro-land, Doepfer sells their (much simpler) clock divider for €55, so again... 8_)
...but, sure, it could be worse wink Mr. Green
Best thing about Tom's modules: stuffed with functions you actually need!
Now, back on the subject! CLK2A! Rockin' Banana!
vurt
SlayerBadger!
Mood Organ
Congrats on the new design. Did you mean no minijack for this specific module, or all of the designs? No minijack is disappointing and pretty much kills it for me, but do what ya gotta do.
Fnord
That's fantastic. I like it and I want one. (and a few other things, hah)
FrankV
Mood Organ wrote:
No minijack is disappointing and pretty much kills it for me, but do what ya gotta do.

If you've got a spare 1-frac-U left and are only considering one or two banana modules, why not a converter plate:

When I got my CTL1, which was the only banana module I had at the time, I was desperate to use it with anything (!) so made one of these out of 1/8" thick aluminum. My local home center (Lowe's on the East Coast) has lengths of this stuff already 1-1/2" wide. If you wanted to convert between only two types (e.g., banana and mini-jack) you could easily do 6 converters in 1U...

Frank
BugBrand
Yeah, I know that stopping on Minijacks will be a bit unpopular - though I'd always said BANANA is the focus! (rightly so!). It *may* happen, but as noted, I'd have to:
1) source a new type of vertical mount PCB sockets which are available and reliable
2) redesign all new PCBs with a 2nd version that takes minijacks rather than banana sockets.
While I can see that Minijacks are popular, I always have limited time so most likely will keep focused on the core banananana work. I believe in bananas! I don't believe in minijacks (whatever the current market says..).

Good note what FrankV says::: I've seen those metal strips too - long bits of 3mm thick alu-strip 1.5" wide. Easy to use!
The pic you posted looks like my orig UTLX interface -- I actually just redesigned this, largely 'cos of annoying wiring I had to do on it (making the ground connections)

New one will be 6 x banana linked to 6 x jack --- will be MUCH easier to build.
BananaPlug
Bananavangelism!
Quote:
I believe in bananas! I don't believe in minijacks (whatever the current market says..).

Soapbox Convert! Cast off the Devil Mult! Study the works of the prophet E.F. Johnson and watch you local newspapers for announcements of Bananavangelist rallies in your neighborhood!
It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! nanners
parasitk
BananaPlug wrote:
Bananavangelism!
Quote:
I believe in bananas! I don't believe in minijacks (whatever the current market says..).

Soapbox Convert! Cast off the Devil Mult! Study the works of the prophet E.F. Johnson and watch you local newspapers for announcements of Bananavangelist rallies in your neighborhood!
It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! nanners

I'm a true convert. It's peanut butter jelly time! I'll never go back to minijacks again. They are... UNCLEAN. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Anyway, Tom are you going to rework all of your modules to use these PCB mount naners? I'd still like to grab a couple of your modules later this year for my Banana Frac!
the bad producer
parasitk wrote:

I'm a true convert. It's peanut butter jelly time! I'll never go back to minijacks again. They are... UNCLEAN. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Hooray! nanners I just killed a whole bunch of minijacks... So I've now got a BananaRack to add to my BananaFrac, Finally all my machines can talk in the same language!

back on topic, I'm really into the idea of picking up a CTL1 when they appear again... Also, Tom could you talk a little more about your internal Master Clock and Reset bus? Is this something we could tap into with our DIY clock and logic modules?

Charlie
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1