MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Blacet convert!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author New Blacet convert!!
elemental
Hello peeps, been lurking here for a little while...
I've been building up a Euro system for a while now, and just got a blacet rack, mainly for the Hex Drive, and had to get a Miniwave while I was at it... only had one session with them so far but feel like my system has multiplied in possibilities already. Also got an Oakley Lag to provide glide so I dont have to use my beloved VCS wink

Anyway... my problem now is that I want more Blacet!!!! Looking at the Quad VCA before it runs out, as it looks great for dynamically mixing waveforms/inputs. But also... looking at the Klangwerk, possibly to replace my Analogue Systems Ring Mod, which is good and all, but the Klangwerk looks quite interesting, esp with its internal sine osc (can this be used on its own also?). Also looking at the Stonz Phaser to replace my Doepfer phaser, which is also good, but the Blacet one just has a few extra features, esp the seperate inverted outputs for stereo effects. Any of you guys have experiences to compare?

Damn, I'm really in it..... I mean, I told myself when the last lot arrived that would be it for a good while.... keep money for other stuff, but I keep wanting more!! Does it ever end?? razz
nathankirchner
Nope, it never ends. But it's better than smack right? Mr. Green
Muff Wiggler
elemental wrote:
I've been building up a Euro system for a while now, and just got a blacet rack, mainly for the Hex Drive, and had to get a Miniwave while I was at it... only had one session with them so far but feel like my system has multiplied in possibilities already. Also got an Oakley Lag to provide glide so I dont have to use my beloved VCS wink

Anyway... my problem now is that I want more Blacet!!!! Looking at the Quad VCA before it runs out, as it looks great for dynamically mixing waveforms/inputs. But also... looking at the Klangwerk, possibly to replace my Analogue Systems Ring Mod, which is good and all, but the Klangwerk looks quite interesting, esp with its internal sine osc (can this be used on its own also?). Also looking at the Stonz Phaser to replace my Doepfer phaser, which is also good, but the Blacet one just has a few extra features, esp the seperate inverted outputs for stereo effects. Any of you guys have experiences to compare?

Damn, I'm really in it..... I mean, I told myself when the last lot arrived that would be it for a good while.... keep money for other stuff, but I keep wanting more!! Does it ever end?? razz

nope, like Nathan said....never ends!! welcome to the madness...good to have you here with us

those are some really good module choices you're looking at...
consumed
elemental wrote:

heya, and welcome!

whatcha got in your euro rig?

the quad vca is exponential.
you might really like the binary zone. im thinking i might have to get one again.
you will probably find a few things over at metalbox.com to 'help' you expand.
futuresoundsystems
I'm thinking of converting to Blacet once I've filled my MOTM cabinet.
sgnhh
I'm also getting into the Blacet stuff, but mostly for a couple STG Soundlabs modules and some other odds and ends. Can anyone comment on the Metalbox Tube VCA or 8008 Bass module? Looking for sound demos if possible.

Not really interested in any of the Blacet modules... perhaps a Miniwave? I don't want to get anything that generates CV as my setup will still be mostly Euro. Also want to get one of the Wiard filters, either Boogie or Borg (probably Borg as it's switchable between LP,BP,HP).

For sure it'll include the STG Mankato, STG Wave Folder, and a Wiard filter. That leaves me with 1.5 spaces left in a Frac rack.

Any further suggestions?
consumed
there is no question that the miniwave is an essential module for any modular, no question about it.
Kwote
elemental wrote:
looking at the Klangwerk, possibly to replace my Analogue Systems Ring Mod, which is good and all, but the Klangwerk looks quite interesting, esp with its internal sine osc (can this be used on its own also?). Also looking at the Stonz Phaser to replace my Doepfer phaser, which is also good, but the Blacet one just has a few extra features, esp the seperate inverted outputs for stereo effects. Any of you guys have experiences to compare?

yes the sine can be on it's own but you still have to feed the Klang an external waveform. then just turn the mix pot FCW. also it doubles as a VCA which is what i mostly use it for these days. just keep the mix control FCW and change the switch from internal to external. then just feed the EXT. jack an EG to open and close it or if you just want it fully open the whole time any constant waveform will do.

as far as the stonz i don't wanna compare because it's the only phaser i've ever owned, but i've really grown to love it. you need two outputs to get the true phase sound as phase is dependent on stereo. very important. i actually rarely use it as a phaser these days which is why i'm finally convinced i want another. i use it as an extra filter which is basically all a phaser is if you cut the lfo. but where i'm really loving it is for kickdrum sounds. eventually i'll get an 8008 but in the meantime i get some awesome kicks out of it.

just set the freq super low and the regen FCW then send it to a VCA CV'd with a super tight envelope and kapow. thumpin ass kicks for days.

i also wanna point out part of the sweet kick sound is the metalbox dual ad. it is the perfect EG for percussion. i really really really want another dual ad but they're out of production. i'm hoping i'll get one used but i wish they would just be in regular production.

i spoke with Michael Ford about this and he said he'd have to make 10 to have another run and didn't feel the interest was out there. so perhaps with enough prodding we can all convince him to bring it back. i really hope so.

personally i would build 10 if i could. that's how much i love em.

anyways, good luck and have fun.
elemental
consumed wrote:
elemental wrote:

heya, and welcome!

whatcha got in your euro rig?

the quad vca is exponential.
you might really like the binary zone. im thinking i might have to get one again.
you will probably find a few things over at metalbox.com to 'help' you expand.

OK - currently the euro is:

2x AS95E osc's
AS 110 multimode filter
AS ring mod
AS LFO
AS VCA
VCS
Plan B M13 timbral gate
Plan B M12 filter
Plan B EG
ASol EG
ASol Attenuator
Asol Buffer/mixer
Doepfer phaser
Doepfer VC-ADSR
Doepfer a138 polarizing mixer
Doepfer lin VCA
Doepfer Wave Multiplier
Malgorithm

Just got: Polyvoks and a Z5000 effects module :-)

think thats it !!
Kwote
if you can don't replace anything. just get some more frac modules to go with your euro setup. then after awhile of messing with everything you can decide if anything stays or goes.
elemental
i hear ya on the dont replace stuff too hastily thing... regretted selling stuff in the past.
Thing is, I have finances to keep me out of work for a month or so, so its a toss-up between more modules and more time to work on my album!
Kwote
elemental wrote:
i hear ya on the dont replace stuff too hastily thing... regretted selling stuff in the past.
Thing is, I have finances to keep me out of work for a month or so, so its a toss-up between more modules and more time to work on my album!

it's just standard advice. if you know what you want and know what you don't, then by all means get rid of stuff.

so far i haven't given up any modules, but i've sold my Boss GT6, MFB Synth II, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Vestax 06pro, Doepfer MCV4 and almost 100 records and still counting as i'm still parting with lots more vinyl right now.
sgnhh
consumed wrote:
there is no question that the miniwave is an essential module for any modular, no question about it.

What do you commonly use it for? Also, I know you do some videos--any chance of a short Mini Wave video showing off some of your favorite uses?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1