MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Splitting MidiDAC outputs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Splitting MidiDAC outputs
JoeMorris
Hi from a very novice synth DIYer,

I've built myself a MidiDAC as part of a lttle all-in-one-box ad hoc modular system I'm trying to put together, and a great unit it is too.

Just wondering - I accept I'm showing my minimal and patchy knowledge here -, if I want to take the v/oct output to my oscillators and my filter, and my gate output to both my volume envelope and my filter envelope, can I just use a 1/4 inch stereo jack to twin mono jack splitter on the output with tip and ring linked and a pair of mono jack cable outs? Or will this drop the current too much?
sandyb
i don't know the mididac at all. but, if i was doing this with any midi-cv convertor, i'd use a multiples module.

sandy
JoeMorris
Oh OK, are there any DIY solutions for this?

AM I to presume just splitting the signal would produce an unacceptable current drop then?
sandyb
yes there are. here's one possibility:

http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/B_Multiples.html

multiples are simply jacks wired together. they act like a splitter.

as far as current drop goes, it is a very small possibility. but, generally not a problem unless you're feeding *lots* of things from one input. i've never felt the need for one but if you do then you can get powered "buffered" multiples to circumnavigate this possibility. an example of a commercially available one is this:

http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/modules/rs230.htm

i don't know if there are diy versions but i'm sure somebody who knows more than me will chime in about that.

sandy

ps welcome to the forum w00t
nerdware
The Yusynth Standards module has buffered outputs. So you can get the octave and semitone switches as a bonus. Mr. Green
JoeMorris
Thanks guys,

So essentially the multiple modules are just a more convenient, robust, user-friendly version of my splitting suggestion in theory?

Unfortunately I haven't got any panel space left in my case (it's very densely packed with knobs and jacks as it is, being only 7u high and rack width wide), so I might have to stick to my fairly bodged solution for now, and produce an auxiliary function case with proper multiple functionality (plus possibly generic attenuators too?) later.
sandyb
yes, although you just use mono jacks, no stereo required.
i think you will definitely find a need for multiples and attenuators in your system so your idea of an auxilliary case is a good, and probably necessary, one.
nerdware
You can also leave the multiples module free-standing or use Y-connectors. I sometimes do this myself when I run out of multiples.
Synthbuilder
JoeMorris wrote:
AM I to presume just splitting the signal would produce an unacceptable current drop then?

However you split the Key CV outputs you will not get any voltage droop. Feel free to use Y splitters or multiples whichever suits your needs.

Y splitters tend to be stereo plugs simply because of the most common application is for headphones. But stereo jacks can be used in mono sockets although the signal remains only on the tip and sleeve.

There is a minimal droop with the gate voltage but nothing that would stop the EGs from triggering.

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1