MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Largest 300 series setup?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Largest 300 series setup?
Anyone know? who has the largest 300 series set up? seriously, i just don't get it
flts
Gary Chang had quite a sizeable one at some point at least: http://www.matrixsynth.com/2011/06/gary-changs-custom-wiard-modular.ht ml

I don't know if that's actually the biggest one out there (or if it's grown / shrunk after the picture was taken) but pretty damn big at least.
drumsofd00m
Probably Gary Chang, film composer and Morton Subotnick student. Do a Google search for photos and module lists. IIRC the most recent one stated forty 300 series modules plus two boats with 311 controller, Frac Wiard, Blacet, PSIM-1 and custom Milton.
1nput0utput
I saw Gary Chang's system during NAMM two years ago and it was as pictured in that Matrix Synth post.
beyourdog
flts wrote:
Gary Chang had quite a sizeable one at some point at least: http://www.matrixsynth.com/2011/06/gary-changs-custom-wiard-modular.ht ml

I don't know if that's actually the biggest one out there (or if it's grown / shrunk after the picture was taken) but pretty damn big at least.

eek! eek! woah woah Cheesy! nuts BOOM! Animal! eyes...

I must admit you need quite a brain with a system like that, each module is so dense...I would guess you would have to proceed by zones...I guess one of the most powerful system out there...
drumsofd00m
Then again, five out of the eight 300 series modules can be used more or less stand-alone as crude monosynth voices... one noteworthy thing about the Wiard is that you can't go into *really* stupid directions when you're expanding. Like, 20 VCOs and one slew limiter. It's likely to retain some degree of balance, each module already being a potential "zone".

That said, I recall Gary used to have a pretty systematic layout with certain patterns, i.e. like four Waveform City + Borg Filter couples in a row, then four Envelator + Mixolator couples below, or so.
A large system comprised of sub-systems that are comprised of further sub-systems that are comprised of... ok, sub-modules.
Beautiful approach.

I also like the comment about the angles in the large case stabilizing it while maintaining a light weight.

By the way, can anyone name any specific recordings it participated in? Scores, live concerts, whatever.
slow_riot
You want to find "Sanctuaries", which is utterly magnificent, it used to have a bandcamp page, but google can't find it any more and I would loathe to think that it's not possible for me to hear it again.
corpusjonsey
slow_riot wrote:
You want to find "Sanctuaries", which is utterly magnificent, it used to have a bandcamp page, but google can't find it any more and I would loathe to think that it's not possible for me to hear it again.

http://fumusic.bandcamp.com/album/sanctuaries-gary-chang
slow_riot
music to my ears!
drumsofd00m
Thanks, both. That'll serve as my main listen on a long trip this weekend.

@3001, maybe add "Gary Chang appreciation thread" to the title by now ;)
flts
I think the interest in big systems, for me, is not as much increased single patch / logical block complexity, but increased "voices". As drumsofd00m says - subsystems.

I mean, I'm not even necessarily speaking about polyphonic use. If you think about it, the electronic side of my whole goddamn studio is in some sense a modular synthesizer, it just contains a bunch of different subsystems, some of which are internally patchable and some not. Everything is connected to a huge matrix mixer (the RME UFX) et cetera.

In that sense, a 20 or 40 module Wiard system doesn't seem like an overkill (well, it does for my personal use, but not as a general idea). It isn't like you would have to use all the modules for realising one voice / heavily cross-connected patch, you'll also have, say, 5 or 10 very capable modular synthesizers in one rack and they happen to be by the same manufacturer.
drumsofd00m
flts wrote:
It isn't like you would have to use all the modules for realising one voice / heavily cross-connected patch, you'll also have, say, 5 or 10 very capable modular synthesizers in one rack and they happen to be by the same manufacturer.

And they can have cleaner power distribution than several smaller systems that are self-contained in terms of housing and power. Why: generally (albeit also depending on the quality and/ or amperage of the PSU, which I won't go into because I don't know enough), putting "noisy" modules like the Woggle Bug and crosstalk-prone ones like the Dual Borg and Dual Envelator on seperate PSUs can contribute to more stable VCOs and quieter VCAs. (The Envelator seems to be an oscillator-like design, but not temperature compensated, and it takes time to warm up as well as it seems to talk to other modules even where not patched, if the system is running short an amperage or whatever else was the case when I was using the old Elpac wall warts.)
And if I'm not mistaken, the larger a system, the less uneconomical it becomes (in terms of expenses for multiple PSUs) to place modules in functionally mixed groups while powering them in functionally homogenous groups.

Of course some would argue that cleaner isn't necessarily better. No idea if an ARP 2600, Easel or VCS3 would still have the same coveted character if each module was separately powered.

Maybe Gary can chime in here and kindly share his experiences. I seem to recall he had a special PSU (or PSU array?) made by Cynthia.

In my Wiard I've known both situations and found the crosstalk-heavier situation (with the wall warts) did have its own merits/ its own kind of fun and charm, but with anything beyond a six module system, I sure prefer it a bit cleaner.
slow_riot
I think you're talking about one of the great challenges of a mixed modular system, where advancement in research for audio and control elements of synthesizers has advanced significantly, but not many have stopped and asked the right technical questions required to put elements into a mixed and expandable format. If you're designing a self contained synth then it's almost no issue, you can address issues individually almost without thought, or even the interaction can be desirable, but in a modular system these issues need to be anticipated in advance. And solutions like moving modules from case to case, or disconnecting ones not in use should not really be necessary.

I can't remember experiencing anything untoward as soon as I "went Hinton".
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1