MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Must Have Blacet Modules...?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Must Have Blacet Modules...?
qu.one
Think I might add a row of Blacet Frac to mingle with my Euro. I was thinking of just doing the Classic Rack, but I don't really need all it comes with - especially mixer, vca.

What I planned on for sure was:
VCO
EG1
MiniWave
Binary Zone

The only thing with the MiniWave are the Euro Wavetable options.

Any thoughts as to the 5th or 5/6 (1.5") modules to fill the rack out? Improbability Drive? Window Comparator? Seq Switch & DAD?

Or should I look into other 5x3" Frac makers...?
parasitk
MiniWave is still unique swiss army knife. From scale quantizing, to bit crushing, non-linear Turbosynth-style waveshaping, to being a straight up 8-bit wavetable osc – I definitely recommend it!

Maybe two VCOs? That Wiard VC Waveform is very nice. grin

EG1 is great, and the upcoming DAD looks mighty fine, although obviously no one has used it yet!

Window Comparator seems very cool – I still need to get that one!

You can also look at Synthasonic's offerings: http://www.synthasonic.com/ and Metalbox: http://www.metalbox.com/

There aren't really any other Frac makers that don't already do Euro (or have abandoned Frac for Euro full time, which I understand).
BananaPlug
The ID is a favorite of mine. This thread about mods for it gives you some idea why but even off the rack it's a very nice noise source what with analog and digital, mixed and filtered in one module. Oh yeah, S&H and quantizing too. Much bang for the buck.
Kent
A vote for the Window Comp. I've written about it here on MW.
panda30y
Top 3 would be VCO, Binary Zone, Miniwave. MW and BZ are incredibly versatile, and the VCO is great and very solid. I might even get a 2nd VCO or possibly dabble with the Bugbrand SYN2 so I can fit 2 voices in the same space, but Bugbrand will only make their modules w/ Banana jacks now, so you might have issues unless you crossover to join us Banana-Fracers.

Metalbox seems to have some great modules, especially the Bi-N-Tic filter/vco, various sequencers, and drum modules. Hell everything via Metalbox seems fantastic, and his 8008 bass is supposed to be amazing and isn't a CGS build like many of his other modules are. Metalbox will also do custom jobs for you as well!
qu.one
Thanks guys. Im also interested in the MMM DIY stuff coming out. Seems that the VCO, BZ and MW are essentials - especially since they seem to be very Blacet specific.

My main thing is - do i get kits (i only have minor experience soldering/assembly) or just get built modules.
Kent
d'oh! I totally disregarded the non-Blacet stuff. STG Mankato FTW!!! The Metalbox/CGS WaveFoldafucker is indispensable. I'd have a hard time choosing between those two.
revmutt
Kent wrote:
A vote for the Window Comp. I've written about it here on MW.

+1

BUT it depends on whether you are thinking of it as an addition to your Euro stuff or a stand alone instrument.
zerosum
I would suggest a pair of miniwaves,
One with the Scale Quantizer ROM which pairs perfectly with the Binary Zone,
One with the Blacet Socket Rocket for waveshaping,distortion,CV reshaper, and the MARF in bank 12.

I don't have any experience with the Blacet VCO(I would like that to change someday), but if you are only planning on doing 1 rack, then use that space for stuff you can't get in Euro.
Euro has so many oscillator options its not fair! hihi

The Improbability Drive is very nice as well, but again I would save that space for something else.
-1 Binary Zone
-2 miniwaves
-1 EG-1(very nice envelope/multi function module with CV for everything plus a built in attenuator which you will need if using with a Euro VCA)
-1 Window Comparator(very fun when combined with the binary zone and miniwave combo)
zerosum
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere(feel free to post a link), but what is your current setup?
zerosum
Quote:
That Wiard VC Waveform is very nice.

Sounds like it would be real fun, but could the same effect be done by patching a square wave and a triangle wave into a crossfader or VC mixer(like the quadmix), and fade in between the two?

(I think I am going to try that today)
Cat-A-Tonic
Definitely get a Window Comparator. Sooooo useful.
It is sure to compliment your Euro rig as well.

Build all Blacet modules as kits. The documentation is excellent.
You'll probably enjoy building them, learn a little about soldering,
gain confidence in the event that you have to repair or modify a module, and save money.

-Get a second Frac rack to make use of the PSU.
-Consider a Micro LFO; they're great.
-Consider a Hex Zone if you want a sequencer that you can build songs on and keep them in memory.
The sequential switch function is really nice too, and is also programmable.

I agree with the other comments.
-Binary Zone, and Mini-Wave are musts.
-EG1 is fantastic.
-Improbability Drive has a ton of functionality squeezed into it.
It is a real 'kitchen sink' sort of noise module.
-The Blacet VCO is an excellent oscillator at a very reasonable price.
Consider it unless you are already overflowing with oscillators in your Euro.
parasitk
zerosum wrote:
Quote:
That Wiard VC Waveform is very nice.

Sounds like it would be real fun, but could the same effect be done by patching a square wave and a triangle wave into a crossfader or VC mixer(like the quadmix), and fade in between the two?

It's not the same! nanners

Also RE: MiniWave - you could always pop the stock A-bank ROM too and change it out as well. I have the Socket Rocket in A, and Scale Quantizer in B. thumbs up
johnnymad
qu.one wrote:
Thanks guys. Im also interested in the MMM DIY stuff coming out. Seems that the VCO, BZ and MW are essentials - especially since they seem to be very Blacet specific.

My main thing is - do i get kits (i only have minor experience soldering/assembly) or just get built modules.

i say you should go for kits. just take your time and you should be fine.
johnnymad
double post d'oh!
oozitron
Is there any other ring modulator that compares to the KlangWerk???

As I slowly convert to DIY, I have a batch of Blacet modules that I have kept: KlangWerk, VCO, MiniWave, Binary Zone, EG1, Dual LinVCA, (two) Mixer/Processors, MicroLFO

The Dual LinVCA is extremely cool with the wonderful Micro LFO. Together they make a great stereo panner smile

Drew
OculoRapido
Just placed a single-rack order with JB, and I'd agree with most of the stuff posted about the MiniWave, Improbability Drive, Klang Werk, and Window Comparator. For a basic rack configuration as oozitron wrote, I would also go (went) with at least one each Micro LFO and Dual Linear VCA for stereo panning, etc.

I've also had great times with Michael Ford's Metalbox CGS Frac modules, and the recommended Wave Multiplier can be had combined with the CGS Tube VCA for extra sonic mayhem. And 4U of horiz rack space. I've got the original pair of modules, which occupy 5U together, but offer a bit more VCA CV control (Input 2). If you want a percussive voice, the Cynare is great fun, and Michael makes a simple 1U ADSR.

Grant Richter still seems to be accepting orders for his Wiard Frac (1200 series) Noise Ring and filter modules. My NR and Borg modules get regular use.

Enjoy. You may also soon find yourself wanting a few more Frac Racks with the power supply and PS-CONN connector bus... So it starts. If you get desperate, you may also find yourself lurking for a used Time Machine or Dark Star Chaos. Though I guess Blacet's new Delay/FX module could stand in for some of the unobtanium TM functions....

Happy New Year.

DB
parasitk
FYI Wiard 1200 is dead. It's Malekko/Wiard now in Euro for that stuff, or Wiard 300.

I know it's on the site.
OculoRapido
Yeah. Makes sense. Shai-Hulud speaks the truth.

Remember a few years back when Grant wrote me about going back to the 300 series, because there was little income from the 1200s. Given that, I was glad to see his designs in Euro format (Malekko), and his Blacet Mini Wave continues to be popular...

Guess updating his order page really hasn't been high on the to-do list: With few orders, he wouldn't have to say "no" often.

Dream on.

DB
zerosum
Quote:
Also RE: MiniWave - you could always pop the stock A-bank ROM too and change it out as well. I have the Socket Rocket in A, and Scale Quantizer in B.

That's cool, I still want to do that at some point and replace the stock ROM in one of my miniwaves with the Morphine ROM.
But...... With as many uses as the MiniWave has, I would sometimes go crazy trying to decide if I wanted to use the miniwave as a quantizer or waveshaper. seriously, i just don't get it

So for me, I decided that I needed one dedicated to quantizing, and one dedicated to waveshaping.
It would be nice to have a third dedicated to just distortion.

Its too bad( Rage! waah ) that euro became the most popular 3U/1/8" format eliminating a lot of Frac development,
I could put together a nice portable synth out of just VCS's and Miniwaves.
johnnymad
zerosum wrote:
So for me, I decided that I needed one dedicated to quantizing, and one dedicated to waveshaping. It would be nice to have a third dedicated to just distortion.

i wish i could have two. i hate using mine as a quantizer and then needing it as a wave shaper. why can't it do both at the same time? cry
Cybananna
most everything has already been said, but my must haves are the Improbability Drive (I just ordered a second one), the miniwave, and window comparator are two other favorites.

Non-Blacet favorites are the STG wavefolder (coolest VCA ever!), VCS, and the Frac Frequensteiner. I know there aren't many around, but it is great.
parasitk
I only didn't mention STG (or Flight of Harmony for that matter) because they make Euro versions (except the Mankato, right?)
Babaluma
time machines. i have two. invaluable.
qu.one
lots of great info here. i do plan on using it as part of my euro system - just adding the best of frac to make it an even more inspiring device.

_ _ off topic: now if i can figure out my power pblm in my new 12u euro
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1