MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help with Gated Comparator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Help with Gated Comparator
elemental
I have a Metalbox Gated Comparator had it a couple months now, have not had too much time to get to know it, but still a bit clueless... anyone got any patch ideas to share?

I am thinking of selling it... unless convinced otherwise!!

Thx
consumed
i used the gated comparator heavily on my bandcamp release in 2008
i typically fed it a 16th/32nd clock and either noise or an FM'd lfo
connected various EGs to the gate outputs to get on-time random gates
the nice thing is that the behavior of the randomness is controllable by the threshold knob

in this thread, you can hear some of my recordings where i introduce the GC in my patch
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672
i brought it in mostly to break up the persistence of the 16th note voice

ive seen discussion here about feeding the gates to a mixer downstream
to make a complex binary zone-type sequencer

ive rarely used the melody/inv melody outs but know those can be interesting as well

id recommend spending more time with it--it is a very deep semirandom module
DGTom
It's a really deep module & very demanding on your time untill 'it clicks'

One thing I find very usefull & is easy to set-up & expand upon is as a 'grid aligned' pulse delay, a kind of 'trigger shift register'

As Consumed said, feed a divison of your main clock into the clock input now take a gate out from your sequencer & have that feed the input, now you can get triggers which are delayed by clock increments. Use those to trigger envelopes etc. its like multiplying your initial trigger pattern.

Now take a bunch of those outs & plug them into a mixer, the output of the mixer is a CV sequence based on whatever patterns are coming off the GC, fun!

Think of the 8 outputs as a trigger sequencer where instead of being able to switch steps on & off you have to modulate the number of active steps in the pattern... its abit strange at first but once you get the hang of it, its awesome.

Another approach is to take both the gate & CV from an analog sequencer. Gate = Clock In, CV = Input. So, depending on the threshold pot you get sequences of pulses which are an interaction between the CV & Gate. That sometimes works better if you use sequence CV into the Threshold VC input - stick a slow LFO or random voltage in as well to get unrelated variations!

I mostly use the 'random' outs in an indirect way, so, have a VC LFO modulating the VC thres. & use the 'random' to CV the LFO, just a little, that way they get locked into little patterns with one another.

Alongside logic gates you can actually get CV dependant logical states, stopping & starting pulse trains depending on what a CV is doing.

Its not the most immediate module & it really needs to work as part of a larger sequencing set-up, but, stick with it & the rewards are pretty special.
elemental
Cheers dudes,

Its been a while since I had a proper session with the modular. Some interesting projects on the horizon that this may well be useful for.. thanks for your replies.

Happy New year!
zerosum
I don't have anything to ad to this thread,(I want one but don't have one)
but I am very interested in seeing the responses and tips, thanks everyone for the contributions.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1