MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[PCBs/Panels] Thomas Henry X-4046 VCO - closed for now
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Author [PCBs/Panels] Thomas Henry X-4046 VCO - closed for now
fonik
from time to time people ask me about the Thomas Henry X-4046 VCO and if i would do another run. I think this is due to the fact that this VCO is rather unique. Thomas did an awesome job in utilizing this 4046 IC for a musical VCO with 1V/oct response - something this IC has not been designed for. and the result is a VCO with great features and character.

back in 2012 thomas approached me to try and test a VCO design using this chip. a design that he had developed, and worked on together with scott stites, who did a great job on the documentation fo this design. you will find all necessary information about this VCO here:
http://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/Pages/X-4046.html

i sold PCBs for this project in the past. however, there had been two PCBs, one for the actual VCO core, and another for the waveshaper (sine and pulse). these PCBs were a leftover from the breadboarding/testing. i sold them as they where...

no i decided to do a new design. the prototype PCBs came in recently, i assembled them and they work perfectly. if there was enough interest i would offer them together with a top notch front panel in professional quality, as i did for the 555-VCO.
there will be one PCB containing the actual VCO circuitry, providing MTA-100 footprints for easy manual wiring (if needed/desired), a combined footprint for super matched pairs or your hand matched 2N3904, and another additional adapter PCB carrying the front panel components (eurorack form factor), which could be mounted piggyback to the VCO PCB. the adapter PCB provides an LFO modification as well (mode switch, bi-color LED and LFO timing cap).

documentation could be found here:
X-4046-VCO_V2
(if you feel something is missing, just let me know...)

additional build notes for the adapter PCB:

1)
i recommend these switches from smallbear (reliable, good price):
DPDT on-on
SPDT on-on

2)
smallbear also carries nice sealed 9mm snap-in potentiomters from Alpha/Taiwan with different shaft types:
Alpha 9mm Right-Angle

3)
you will need the PJ301-BM jack sockets. you will find them in a high quality beryllium/copper version at
Erthenvar (USA) or
Thonk (UK)

pricing:
Bare Main VCO PCB, 7.-EUR/ea
Bare Eurorack Adapter PCB, 7.-EUR/ea
Eurorack Front Panel, 15.-EUR/ea

shipping
international 4.-EUR
deutschland 2.-EUR
(you will pay half the shipping cost when ordering just a single PCB)

i am taking orders until 17 JUL 14
PCBs and panels will be ready for delivery early AUG then.
i am taking no money u ntil the boards/panels are in. i will then contact all who indicated serious interest.

mrkva
In for 2 pcb sets + panels This is fun!
rosch
oh oh oh oh! It's peanut butter jelly time!

i have 3 sets from your last design. i made an alucorex panel that was inspired from the photo of your panel in the last build docs, just with a striped design like you do it (well, kinda close to it, but close enough for me) so they would match your other TH panels.

i've only made 1 panel so far but not drilled the holes yet. sooo, would you say i should make them as planned or wait for your panels and panel pcb?
i would prefer the latter but i'm not sure, as the old one lacks the mods, and i don't know if they will match the panel controls pcb at all.

so - if they can't be used easily in a way that makes sense (mods) i'm in for 2 complete sets, but if they can be used i have to think about it, then i'll probably only get the panels and controller pcb, depending on how easy the mod is....

anyway cool thing that you offer this combo w00t
bartleby
i'm in for 2x pcb set + panel.

although that adapter pcb looks awfully wide. what is it, 16hp?
flab
in for two sets / no panels
mxmxmx
oh well. 1 set (pcbs and panel) for me, please.
sammy123
I am in for a full set.

I have the previous version. It's a good oscillator and it sounds like this one will be even better.
qfactor
This time, I'll go for 2 full sets!! nanners
Jop
Please two complete sets thumbs up
mrkva
Recently there has been discussions about using a voltage reference for pitch especially, due to instabilities on +/- 12V rails. The previous version of X-4046 definitely gets affected by modules using LEDs (I can hear slight pitch modulations). So.. my question is, did you consider using such reference (I remember TL431 was suggested)? It seems not so difficult to implement, cheap and comes in friendly TO-92 packages too.
demian
Interested in 2 full sets!
fonik
mrkva wrote:
Recently there has been discussions about using a voltage reference for pitch especially, due to instabilities on +/- 12V rails. The previous version of X-4046 definitely gets affected by modules using LEDs (I can hear slight pitch modulations).

never had issues using a decent linear PSU (power one) with good regulation.
but in general you are right, it would be better to use precision voltage references. however, i don't want to alter thomas original design.

BTW this VCO is using the same expo control voltage source as the 555VCO, it is the classic electro notes design.
paulstone
Finally thumbs up
4 pcb set for me , no panel

thx !
Reality Checkpoint
I am a great admirer of your work and would like 1 set of PCBs and 1 panel.
bartleby
[triple post, sorry]
bartleby
[triple post, sorry]
bartleby
bartleby wrote:
what is it, 16hp?

fonik?
fonik
16HP. i am following the .8in grid and i like it!
(in fact i add .4in on each side of the module on my latest cabinets modules to have even more room for wiggling)
drip.feed
Awefuckingsome. Two complete sets please, Matthias. thumbs up
woodster
Please put me down for 1 set of PCBs and 1 panel.
bugfight
2 full sets, please
bartleby
fonik wrote:
16HP. i am following the .8in grid and i like it!

16hp certainly seems to make more sense on this vco with four columns of knobs, sockets and switches, than it does on the th555 vco with only three columns. smile

what is that second switch, btw? one is for frequency range (lfo/vco), but what's the other?

looking forward to building this and playing with it!
STOJ
I'm interested in 1 or 2 complete sets. Depends on price.
Thank you Matthias.

Edit 8.7.2014

2 complete sets.
Synthsense
2 Complete Sets, Cheers! Guinness ftw!
Synthsense
Double Post, sorry! seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Page 1 of 17