MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Audio Damage Sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 56, 57, 58  Next [all]
Author New Audio Damage Sequencer
Funky40
Crandall1 wrote:

2. CV1 value
3. CV2 value
4. CV3 value

1. what is the resolution of the programming ?

if it is something like a 0-127 Value, i´d like to request a "fine" parameter addon for at least one of the CVs.
....something like: you set the parameter value first and have the ability to add with a press of a "shift"button or something similar a finetuning to it afterwards.
good to set up wavetable on wavetables VCOs in case you have glitch,
or to control things like "metamode" on a Braids
( i´ve had for examples problems to control the metamode on my braids with my octatrack and a Kenton2000 midi2 CV with the wanted accuracy)

2. when i sequenze, modern wavetable VCOs easily can eatup all the 3 aux CVs just alone.
Thus, a request for 1-2 aux CVs more. well, or make it 3 more lol

3. +1000 to:
proper clock and restart behave is first priority in my book.
and also good visual readabilty of printed Fonts and display. ( a much underrated aspect IMHO )

edit:
4. ahhh, "small" slide times, possibly just added by on/off switching.
for example for velocity CVs, and especially for things like controlling Panorama and crossfaders to avoid clicks !!
Crandall1
All our parameter changes in all our products, both hardware and software, have smoothing. Other than the serious buffer looping stuff (where clicks are nearly unavoidable due to the nature of that effect) our products are generally click-free. This will be no different.

(This is something that we, as plug-in developers, bring a lot of experience to the Euro table with. I don't think we'd be out of line by saying we have the largest codebase of DSP of any Euro developer, just by nature of our main business.)

The resolution of the three CV outputs (and there can't be more; we're using all the I/O that this CPU is capable of, sorry) is 1024 steps. So plenty fine for every digital module currently available in Euro, and most future ones.

We're still working on the slide; I don't have answers about that yet.
Funky40
1024 steps is cool.

you refer to "smoothing"......and "slide" in the other sentence
what i meant is the problem of audio clicks when CVing things like "pan", thus refering to " small slide times".
not shure if your "smoothing" would solve that problem, respectivly saving one to patch a CV over a separate "glide" module
stromcat
In terms of feature-request thoughts...Some kind of handy elektron-machinedrum-MIDI-esque chord mode based on specifying root notes and semitone +/- amounts for the other two CV outs - like 'Chord' MIDI device in Ableton since I don't understand actual musical scales?

Not sure if I've missed if it already does this.
Crandall1
We were talking about something like that. We may add it down the road, but it won't be in the initial release.

We have, however (with respect to the earlier conversation in this thread) added this: each of the three CV outputs will now have four ranges:

1. 0V to 5V
2. 0V to 10V
3. -5V to +5V
4. 1V/Oct

The displayed value as you program will reflect the setting. So if it's set to 0V to 10V, the display will read 0.00 to 10.00. If 1V/Oct is selected, it'll read C0 to whatever the top note is, C5, I think. This is selectable per output. So the first output can be 0-10, the second one 1v/Oct, the third one -5 to 5, or whatever.

It's not a stretch to add a chord mode from there (where, if it's in chord mode, the CV outputs are all 1V/Oct, and you'd select + or - semitones), but we have a _lot_ on our plate to get it out the door in a quick-like fashion, so that may have to hold off for a later update. It is a very good idea, though.
studionebula
Thanks, everyone, for your enthusiasm, and thanks also to the folks who stopped by to say hello at the T_A meet.

As Chris said, our sequencer is in a late stage of development. The hardware, if not cast in stone, is in rapidly setting cement. The software, on the other hand, is (and will be) ripe for additions and alterations. Obviously we cannot accommodate every suggestion and request; as with our plug-ins, we are striving to provide a good balance of power and usability. Philosophically, a synthesizer module shouldn't have an LCD at all--it should be a one-control-per-function sort of thing. However, adhering closely to that dogma would mean never moving beyond the rows-of-pots architecture of sequencers of yesteryear, and that's such a limiting architecture in the presence of today's microcontrollers. So, once you accept the presence of an LCD as a necessary evil, the challenge is to build a user interface that doesn't require menu-diving to get music made. We want this sequencer to feel at home in a modular rig, and not feel like a computer that was shoehorned in next to your VCOs.

To address some specific points:

Ratcheting: Yes, although as microfauna mentioned it seems that there are two things called ratcheting being discussed in this thread. The first is what I think of as ratcheting: the gate goes through two or four cycles in one step, rather than one. I think this is what's necessary and adequate to recreate the classic Tangerine Dream motif, but please set me straight if I'm wrong. (References to specific TD albums/tracks/times are welcome--yes, I have most of them, at least from Stratosfear through Optical Race.) Our sequencer already does this, both programmable per step and triggerable on the fly with two of the step buttons. Yes, it could be a CV destination also.

The second thing is (apparently) repeating a single step N times. We kind of have a facility for that now, but it's only a live function: holding down one of four of the step buttons causes the thing to repeat the last one, two, four, or eight steps as long as you hold the button. When you release the button, it drops in at the appropriate point within the pattern. This means that the repeats do not alter the overall length of the pattern, unlike (in my understanding) the behavior of the RYK unit.

We could, of course, add a repeat feature like that of the RYK unit, which I guess would have to be a step parameter separate from the first mode I described...? I can see arguments in favor of having both modes. I'll probably regret saying that. Discussion is welcome.

Multiple tracks/channels/patterns running in parallel: we didn't envision this originally, and I'm hesitant about the complexity that it would entail from both a UI and a coding perspective. It's going to become a topic of internal conversation, however.

Legato/slide/glide: Yes, will do. Details to be nailed down, as Chris said.

Preset and user-definable scales: Depends on what you mean. If you mean forcing to major/minor/Mixolydian/whatever, I suppose we could work that in somehow. If you mean scales as in non-equal-tempered tuning, Chris is gonna hate me for mentioning this, but my long-term intention is that it will load Scala files from the card. That's not going to be a version 1.0 feature, however.

Knob recording: sure would be fun, wouldn't it? No promises, but yes, we've thought about it.

Tick-per-step gate in: that's the only clocking mode which fits my head, so yes, it will that.

CV-controlled step addressing: absolutely. I think that's actually the very first use for the CV inputs we came up with. (The second, at least in my mind, is modulating the durations of the gate outputs.)

Internal LFOs: yes, at least one.

More CV outs: no, sorry.

CV control over one step's pitch: wow, good idea. Kind of complex to set up, but we'll consider it for sure.

Starts and stops with no glitches: what, man, you think we have no pride? eek!

Generative stuff: absolutely. This is the stuff that makes me want to build a sequencer in the first place. (Well, that and the blinky lights.) What sort of stuff, exactly? TBD.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and your suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
twospartans
looks beautiful!
w00t
sloth713
It would be cool if the software allowed the user to choose between V/Oct and Hz/Oct for the CV output
gliiitches
Apologies if I've missed something in the discussion so far, but I have some questions if that's OK...

The three CV outs. If I'm understanding correctly I could set each of these to 1v per oct? And on each step these could be independently set to different values?

So I could use this sequencer to drive three seperate oscillators each playing a different melody / part? The limitation would be that all three CV outs are (currently) tied to the same pattern, clock speed, and gate?

Cheers!
Crandall1
Yes, you've pretty much got it, with one exception. There are _two_ gate outputs. (Gate and Aux.) The main Gate output is turned on and off with the step buttons, in the manner you'd expect. The Aux output is turned on and off in the settings for that step. (One menu deep.) We're trying to come up with a more elegant method, but that's what we have right now.

EDIT: In reading that back, you're a bit off. If you'd like, you can actually control the 1v/Oct inputs of _four_ separate oscillators. The 1v/Oct output is _always_ that, then you have three CV sequences that can be set to 1v/Oct. Note that the 1v/Oct and CV outputs send whatever values are set whether or not there is a gate present. So you could conceivably hit your EGs some other way, and use the two gate outputs for some other task.

But, long story short, if you want to run two independent melodies, you can. They will, of course, have the same pattern length and sequencer settings, but you can, with fairly minor programming, have, e.g., a melody and a bassline, or a kick and snare pattern, or whatever. Two Sequencer 1 units, with the second slaved to the first, will give you four complete monophonic lines, with four additional CV sequences. Pretty slick, in my opinion.

Two further bits of errata: first, they now have a mockup of the current state of the panel graphics in ModularGrid now, so you can add a reasonably nice looking iteration to your racks. This is, of course, subject to change, but the size won't be any different at release.

Second, this unit will also have internal LFOs and envelope generators (we're not 100% on the EGs, as we may run out of CPU, but definitely LFOs) that can either affect internal parameters or be sent to the CV outputs or whatever. The LFOs can either be tempo-locked or free-running. So there's that to consider, as well. This will be an extremely powerful sequencer.
djempirical
Very much looking forward to this! (As I've said elsewhere.smile )
keef321
I was thinking of getting a metropolis, but I realised I would have to get a secondary sequencer for it to control the note length with via a CV aux in. Now this sequencer pops up, it looks very interesting and I think has all the functionality (including note length) that I would want (including quantiser from what I understand).

I have never used this style of sequencer!! I nearly bought an analog four, but was not that bothered about it's sound, but was interested in the sequencer.

Just hope I don't have to wait to long, lol.
eskobaba
just got a metropolis, already have the a155 154 + tirana, cant fit more now but looking forward to hear it in action.
flo
This is looking great! applause

Any chance for a tap write mode for note entry? Acidlab has done this nicely. You could use the octave of small keys, + / - octave buttons, and then maybe shift + bank buttons for slides etc...
kstl
flo wrote:
This is looking great! applause

Any chance for a tap write mode for note entry? Acidlab has done this nicely. You could use the octave of small keys, + / - octave buttons, and then maybe shift + bank buttons for slides etc...

+1 on this please, good idea!!
koyl
I sold my Analog Four to fund my modular and the thing I knew I would regret is its sequencer.. not anymore it seems ! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Crandall1
I like the tap mode idea. We'll add it to the list of potential feature updates.
flo
Cool! It's motherfucking bacon yo If it has the tap mode, I won't be able to resist. That'll make it killer for impro on the fly.
suicidelane
I've told my buddy Holografique about Seq1. He said he would love to be able to output Hz/Volt. He is currently using his A4 solely for that duty.
Crandall1
We've added Hz/Volt to the list. However, S-Trig might be problematic, as it involves an open line. Our output buffers for the two gates have the ability to do that, but we hadn't planned on it. So we'll see about that. Hz/Volt definitely, though.
SunSpots
I love you Crandall. please make my dreams of a generative sequencer come true. even if it is in a future update... which I totally don't trust due to elektron burning that bridge for everyone else... wink
Stancotey
Hey Chris,

Regarding S-Trig outs, can you use 3.5mm TRS jacks for the gate outs and wire the ring to an open collector NPN transistor for the S-Trig part? While it would take a special cable to use for S-Trig, the other end of that cable has to have a Cinch connector on it - so pretty special anyway. This would let you keep compatibility with standard patch cables with gate signals but still access S-Trig when needed. Small HW change, no FW change.

Stan
dmod
You guys are killing me!(my wallet that is) lol
studionebula
Regarding S-trigger outputs, we should be good to go. As Chris mentioned, the output buffers I chose happen to have three-state outputs, which means that with a small change to the PCB we can take advantage of the hi-Z state to create something that should work for S-trig. Hopefully I'll be able to find someone locally with hardware that I can test with, since I don't happen to have anything with an S-trig input.

Hz/V scaling will be even easier; no hardware changes needed for that. I'll probably seize this feature as an excuse to buy a MS-20 Mini for testing purposes. hyper
clusterchord
studionebula wrote:

Ratcheting: Yes, although as microfauna mentioned it seems that there are two things called ratcheting being discussed in this thread. The first is what I think of as ratcheting: the gate goes through two or four cycles in one step, rather than one. I think this is what's necessary and adequate to recreate the classic Tangerine Dream motif, but please set me straight if I'm wrong. (References to specific TD albums/tracks/times are welcome--yes, I have most of them, at least from Stratosfear through Optical Race.)

yes, please.. we're not worthy hihi

studionebula wrote:
Preset and user-definable scales: Depends on what you mean. If you mean forcing to major/minor/Mixolydian/whatever, I suppose we could work that in somehow. If you mean scales as in non-equal-tempered tuning, Chris is gonna hate me for mentioning this, but my long-term intention is that it will load Scala files from the card. That's not going to be a version 1.0 feature, however.

Knob recording: sure would be fun, wouldn't it? No promises, but yes, we've thought about it.

a big resounding YES on both accounts. i still wait, and seems i'll wait forever, for a sml quantizer module that can load Scala files from a card.. and of course be uberfast and have usual host of standard features.. gate, 2 or 4 channels.

knob recording will push this sequencer from purely digital/xox/elektron world a little bit towards the realtime inspiration we find in pure analog step sequencers. to be able to record wiggling would be fantastic.

all in all to say i am excited about this sequencer would be an understatement..

for future developments <dream mode ON> something like this with more of everything, especially more CV i/o and 16 knobs.. in a full 3U 19" rack/tilteddesktop..

Crandall1 wrote:
S-Trig might be problematic, as it involves an open line. Our output buffers for the two gates have the ability to do that, but we hadn't planned on it. So we'll see about that

it's easy enough to modify all S-Trig inputs with that simple circuit from dotcom site. ive done so on all my moogs for a few cents. its passive and it works like a charm. one could even modify one pair of jacks on a multiple to do this function.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 56, 57, 58  Next [all]
Page 3 of 58