MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing VCF-74 : An analog HP/LP filter Audio/Video Demo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Introducing VCF-74 : An analog HP/LP filter Audio/Video Demo
vintagesynthlab
Here is the first official audio-video demo for the VCF-74, an analog voltage-controlled-filter inspired by the 1970s Korg Traveler circuit, but with extended resonance control and CV ins for both resonance and cutoff for each filter section. It also includes attenuation for input / output level and attenuation for CV > cutoff (modulation).

These are targeted to retail for US$249 and will likely be available early June 2016

Note that while the circuit is final, the faceplate will receive some minor changes before manufacturing begins. Otherwise, here it is...

basicbasic
Sounds great and perfect choice of song for the demo applause
vintagesynthlab
basicbasic wrote:
Sounds great and perfect choice of song for the demo applause

Haha! Yeah, It finally came to me that it would be a good song to extract some music from. After all, it is part of the inspiration of this filter implementation into the Eurorack world!

Now time for a well earned Guinness ftw!
whinger
I don't need a tv screen
I just stick the aerial into my skin
let the signal run through my veins
Peake
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Any chance you'll offer blank PCBs? love
thetwlo
we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
DIY Panel/PCB!!! please!

love this filter, have the Synthepedal FK-1 and Maxi-Korg 800DV, and the Oakley Journeyman filter, which I think is similar(there were two versions).
SlayerBadger!
vintagesynthlab
Peake wrote:
It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!

I'm glad this question was asked early in the thread, as I have had a few people interested in the DIY.... However, I probably won't offer blank PCBs for this particular module due to the fact that there are a total of 193 parts/components soldered to the PCB. 32 are through-hole, and 161 are SMT. Nothing smaller than 0603, but many SMDs! I'm sure that a good handful of Wigglers are capable of soldering SMT, but I imagine most would shy away from this level of work.

I would need to make a through-hole version for obvious reasons.
thetwlo
vintagesynthlab wrote:
Peake wrote:

I probably won't offer blank PCBs for this particular module due to the fact that there are a total of 193 parts/components soldered to the PCB. 32 are through-hole, and 161 are SMT. Nothing smaller than 0603, but many SMDs! I'm sure that a good handful of Wigglers are capable of soldering SMT, but I imagine most would shy away from this level of work.

do like Random*Source has done with the Serge, offer kits with panel + PCB with the SMT done. L-1 does this as well. PERFECT!! (for myself)
vintagesynthlab
thetwlo wrote:

do like Random*Source has done with the Serge, offer kits with panel + PCB with the SMT done. L-1 does this as well. PERFECT!! (for myself)

That's not a bad idea. I am open to providing a kit on that level (suddenly, that makes more sense). However, I plan to get the initial (first) batch of filter modules (complete product) into manufacturing and distributed first.

Once that process is smoothed out, I will absolutely explore a DIY kit version. I can't say exactly what the pricing would be... or if/when it would happen.
sduck
vintagesynthlab wrote:
thetwlo wrote:

That's not a bad idea. I am open to providing a kit on that level

Excellent! I would love to do a version of this with proper sliders for some real traveler action. (wait, did I already post that in the original thread?) Anyway, it sounds great!
Turboblast
Sounds really good. Any chance you could abandon those micro trim pots before the final release?
vintagesynthlab
Turboblast wrote:
Sounds really good. Any chance you could abandon those micro trim pots before the final release?

Thank you, I'm very pleased with how the sonic performance turned out.

Re the smaller pots: I considered this in the early stages of development--as the Rev-A prototype version was 16HP and had all solid potentiometers.

While I could have squeezed the lower four pots (as solid pots) into a 14HP module, it would have become too crowded and a nuisance. Rather, the Rev-B (and subsequently Rev-C) prototypes migrated to these smaller type pots. So that is where it ended up.
Peake
By the way, congrats! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
Dogma
vintagesynthlab wrote:
Turboblast wrote:

Thank you, I'm very pleased with how the sonic performance turned out.

Re the smaller pots: I considered this in the early stages of development--as the Rev-A prototype version was 16HP and had all solid potentiometers.

While I could have squeezed the lower four pots (as solid pots) into a 14HP module, it would have become too crowded and a nuisance. Rather, the Rev-B (and subsequently Rev-C) prototypes migrated to these smaller type pots. So that is where it ended up.

Very nice filter - i would like some time with that!
Another vote for the L1 and Random * Source kits....all the SMD done at WMD (or where ever) and Faceplates and the assembly done at home. why i like this personally is the end product is excellent and it makes DiY pleasurable for someone like me (extremely lazy)
morphic
some great demo's on instagram w00t
vintagesynthlab
There are now four audio/video demos up on Youtube for the VCF-74.
The latest is both an audio and visual demo for emphasis of resonance character of this filter design.

See it and hear it here:

Guinness ftw!
Check Mate
This is a great filter! Will it be available in Europe too?
doskonale
it sounds really good !

well done !
vintagesynthlab
Check Mate wrote:
This is a great filter! Will it be available in Europe too?

Check Mate: The filter was just released, so I'm not sure yet who will be carrying it as a dealer in Europe. I believe Matttech picked up the VCF-74 as a product a couple days ago, so it might be a while before they receive them.
Check Mate
Thanks, I'll drop them an E-Mail!
Queequeg
Received my VCF 74 a few days ago. I'm very pleased with it. It definitely doesn't duplicate anything else in my rack. Build quality is very good. I love it.

I have kind of technical question, forgive me if this is dumb. When the HP cutoff is all the way CCW, I would expect the sound of resonance from the LP side to be unchanged, but in fact the effect of the LP resonance is attenuated.
I would expect everything well above the cutoff frequency to be at 0db, or unattenuated. Does it have o do with the "order" of the filters?
What exactly going on there? Maybe I'm just not visualizing it properly. And maybe it's impossible to understand my question, I'm sorry I can't articulate it better.
x2mirko
Received mine from Matt today. I absolutely love it. The resonance on this is just absolutely wonderful. Very musical to my ears. Feels good, looks great, perfect.

The only thing i found a bit weird: It seems to output a rather low signal - not to the point where it's a problem, but there's a pretty significant drop in volume when i put a signal through it.
matttech
I'm guessing that's to allow headroom for using the various input & output gains, plus Boost options?

I had something similar with the Schippmann CS08

It also might be to take into account that there are two resonances possible in series, so you could potentially dial in some pretty hefty resonant frequencies, which could leap in volume a lot
matttech
Queequeg wrote:
Received my VCF 74 a few days ago. I'm very pleased with it. It definitely doesn't duplicate anything else in my rack. Build quality is very good. I love it.

I have kind of technical question, forgive me if this is dumb. When the HP cutoff is all the way CCW, I would expect the sound of resonance from the LP side to be unchanged, but in fact the effect of the LP resonance is attenuated.
I would expect everything well above the cutoff frequency to be at 0db, or unattenuated. Does it have o do with the "order" of the filters?
What exactly going on there? Maybe I'm just not visualizing it properly. And maybe it's impossible to understand my question, I'm sorry I can't articulate it better.

Again, I'm kinda guessing here - but I'd image it is down to the fact that the signal runs through the Highpass FIRST, then into the Lowpass

With a lot of filter designs, the louder (and more "Driven") the input signal is, the less obvious the resonance is...and when you highpass filter something you are also reducing its output substantially, as you are often removing/ reducing the fundamental frequency of your sound (which is usually the loudest part)

Once you've highpass filtered your signal, it is quieter - hence the resonance on the lowpass section has a more pronounced effect
spudboyblues
Holy shitballs batman. Got a chance to play with this at Control today and it totally blew me away. How it doesn't get more love around here I have no idea.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2