MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LZX Visual Cortex module announcement
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author LZX Visual Cortex module announcement
arnoux
Liz what do you think on adding this on an existing synth already equipped with VSG and CVE?

Being more and more into immage processing does it make sense?

We already own something like this:

Thoth
I also done wondered about the overlap with the old core module duo. Obviously, the VSG and CVE functionality is folded into the Visual Cortex, but a lot more as well. Considering the cost of the Visual Cortex and the functional overlap with the old core setup, I don't intend to add it to my system, but it does make me extremely excited to see the kind of functional density and innovation that is embodied in the new crop of LZX modules. It is a masterpiece. I can only imagine the amount of brain damage that went into devising it.
Van
good question for we newbes.

What does the LZX Visual Cortex module overlap in the "old" modules?

i.e what do I not need to purchase with the old stuff?
4mspedals
So turns out my firewire box is being used in a production so I got impatient and just did a couple quick iphone videos. So so sorry this is short and low-fi!

These patches are super simple, like 5 patch cords (two VWGs and the Visual Cortex). The second video adds a PAG and a camera.

The circle and smooth curves are built into the Cortex. Super easy.

The VC can do so so so much more. Just wanted to get some sneak peeks out!

4mspedals
So this is the patch. The two yellow cables go to two VWG's, which are running pure sine waves (no modulation). There's one cable patching the VC to itself. And the other two cables are from the camera and to the screen. In some of these I add a second short cable to patch the VC's ramp section to the animation section for keying effects.

I explain this so you know I feel like I'm just scratching the surface here... Can't wait to have a few hours to do some complex patches (using more than 5 cables! lol )

lizlarsen
Quote:
Might this mean other LZX modules will be available in the muffwiggler store eventually?

We're distributing Visual Cortex and future LZX releases through Darkplace Manufacturing in Portland, Oregon -- so for future production runs, yes!

Quote:
Hoping these won't be sold out in two weeks

We built a large batch!

Quote:
Will this be useful without WFG? When will we see them?

Yes. It includes very versatile horizontal and vertical waveform generators. Those combined with the internal keyer and compositor sections form all the basic tools. If you have even the most basic audio modules (a VCO and a mixer) there is enough here to play with for a long time.

Hint: 2 Cortexes chained together make an amazing video synth.

Visual Cortex's followup release will address the need for more VCOs/waveform generators in stock. Code name "shape station." 8_) 8_)

Quote:
Liz what do you think on adding this on an existing synth already equipped with VSG and CVE?
Being more and more into immage processing does it make sense?

Absolutely. One of my big priorities with Visual Cortex was full color, all analogue, input AND output and 2-channel RGB mixing all in one module, with as high quality as possible. The video quality through the Component signal path is absolutely stunning. You're going to see a big difference when talking about processing color camera and video feeds.

The Colourizer & Compositor section (with its different compositing modes) was made specifically with compositing processed footage back onto original footage in mind.

That said, it makes your VSG redundant and the CVE becomes a secondary output (which you may not need.)

Hint: For those of you upgrading, the VSG makes an excellent secondary case expander, for distributing sync in a larger system! Put Cortex in your main case, VSG in your second, and just use a video cable to send sync.

Quote:
What does the LZX Visual Cortex module overlap in the "old" modules?

We were careful not to render any modules redundant or useless, although there is some overlap. Modules being discontinued for the time being after the release of Visual Cortex include Color Video Encoder, Video Sync Generator, Video Ramps and Triple Video Interface.

Similarities with previous modules...

Color Video Encoder -- both have Composite video outputs. The CVE offers gain/bias controls for each RGB channels. With Cortex it's usually either/or, and more complex controls in this area. The Cortex offers Component outputs, which are very high quality. Otherwise rather similar.

Video Sync Generator -- this isn't so interesting if you get a Cortex, except in the case expander situation I mentioned above -- but you still have the Luma video input and RGB bars, which are useful. It's a free input for a genlock'ed monochrome camera, which is always nice.

Video Ramps -- the Cortex ramp generators have more shapes, but only two outputs. the Video Ramps module has 8 simultaneous outputs. additionally, they are different "flavors." Video Ramps module is noisier, analog ramps. The Cortex produces very high precision 10-bit digital ramps. Lots of my future module releases use ramps as the core source for generating a complex figure.

Triple Video Interface -- Cortex essentially has a TVI inside, only with less modes, since it is locked to Component YPbPr - to - YRGB output. More TVIs are always good to have if you have lots of gear with genlock capabilities.

Triple Video Fader & Key Generator, Video Blending Matrix, Colorspace Mapper -- elements and functions of each of these modules show up in the Visual Cortex's Colourizer & Compositor -- which is a very rich section. This section is intended to cover all the RGB mixing needs you may have in a small video synth system, without making those larger modules essential for controlling a color mix. that said, all of these older modules are bread and butter for LZX systems, so you can't have too many as expanders.

That's about it!! The most unique part of the Cortex is the Animation & Key Generator, which is my version of a simple LFO/envelope designed for video transitions.

DOWNLOAD THE TECH MANUAL HERE!! Finished it today.
Van
Will I need the voltage bridge to bring audio modules into the cortex?
lizlarsen
Quote:
Will I need the voltage bridge to bring audio modules into the cortex?

No, you can patch directly in. The CV input ranges are lower (1V as opposed to 5V or 10V typical on Euro Audio modules), but that can always be addressed with mixers or attenuator modules.

If you want to augment the Cortex with cheap stuff right off the bat, get 2-3 CV mixers/processors and then have a couple audio or VCO sources. Mix the audio sources with the ramp sources (from the Cortex) before patching into the colourize or keyer functions, and you will get a full array of audio modulated shapes and patterns, key modulation, hue modulation, etc.
Van
Liz said: Hint: 2 Cortexes chained together make an amazing video synth.

2 in the same case? hints????
wednesdayayay
there are connectors for syncing in/out on the back of the modules new ones for the new modules and an old header to sync to old modules

just sync two of these together and patch away I assume (there are some switches that would need switching on the back of the unit too)

give the manual a read as it clearly has a lot of time put into it

I am excite
lizlarsen
Yep, like this:

Essentially this transforms the first Cortex's "Colourizer & Compositor" into an independent module with YRGB outs, instead of being internally tethered to the output encoder. In this configuration, you have the following features:

2X SYNC GENS (one slaved to the other, meaning the H, V and Frame frontpanel outputs are redundant)
2X RGB COMPOSITOR/COLOURIZERS (1 for the output, 1 for internal use)
2X KEYERS (so you can generate two geometric shapes and modulate them)
2X RAMP GENERATORS (select different waveshapes on these and combine for complex results)
2X LFO/Animators (built into the keyers obviously) but with 2 modulators you can get complex motions
INPUT DECODER (module 1) for external video and output decoder (module 2)
What's need about this configuration is that the first Cortex's CVBS outputs become preview outputs for the first compositor

Add a 2-channel video mixer, a couple audio VCOs, a couple simple CV mixers to this setup and you have a VERY powerful configuration.
Thoth
Damn. I know hyperbole is literally more out of control than possible around these parts, but this really does seem like stage 1 of a new era of video art.
jimmyambulance
lizlarsen wrote:
DOWNLOAD THE TECH MANUAL HERE!! Finished it today.

holy crap, liz! i didn't think i could be more excited! can't wait to put this thing to work!
lizlarsen
Whew! Here's a guided walkthrough/tutorial of Visual Cortex's basic functions in a series of 13 patches, and the tech manual link again:
Visual Cortex Basic Patches
Visual Cortex Technical Manual

That concludes the basic documentation. Next is lots of video and screenshots. Let me know what else you guys need!
Ty
Wow! Great documentation, Liz. Thanks! Really looking forward to this.

Ty
Cata
Can't wait to get home and start reading through some of this!! hyper
Ty
4mspedals wrote:

The second video adds a PAG and a camera.

I have heard about the PAG for some time but I can't seen to find them anywhere. Any word on where/when these will be available?
Van
lizlarsen wrote:
Whew! Here's a guided walkthrough/tutorial of Visual Cortex's basic functions in a series of 13 patches, and the tech manual link again:
Visual Cortex Basic Patches
Visual Cortex Technical Manual

That concludes the basic documentation. Next is lots of video and screenshots. Let me know what else you guys need!

ok sold. mine is on my way. thanks LIZ!
Dirty_Bill
wednesdayayay wrote:

I am excite

Hey, what are you doing over here away from all that Ciat-Lonbarde goodness!? Are you taking the plunge into the world of video synthesis? woah

On another note, the demos and documentation look great.
lizlarsen
Quote:
On another note, the demos and documentation look great.

Thanks for the comments! Please criticize and make suggestions heavily. I want to really cover all the bases with documentation moving forward.
Captain Sternn
Just received cortex no. 021 from the muffs store! screaming goo yo
Ginko
Looking forward to some vids smile
Van
I want to put in 3 black and white CCTV cameras do I need triple video interface and a VBM?

Also do you plan update to AFD to get audio in. or is this the one to get?
lizlarsen
Quote:
I want to put in 3 black and white CCTV cameras do I need triple video interface and a VBM?

Triple Video Interface is what you need. I have one here, PM me if you want it.

Wait, are these genlock cameras? If not, you'll need a TBC for each one (the Color TBC, although you can use luma channel only.)

Audio Frequency Decoder is a final design, it went through about 7 prototype revisions and we restocked earlier this year, so grab one!

Definitely grab VBM if you feel like the Cortex's compositor doesn't give you enough to do the mixing you want. TVFKG is good too. TVFKG and VBM are really bread and butter processing... can't have too many of either.
Van
Ok got it.

Yes genlock.

So I will also need a video sync ribbon? The cortex has sync ribbon pins on ack lie the legacy modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 4 of 9