MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Techniques used for making noise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Techniques used for making noise
Roycie Roller
Hell-O all,
just wondering how you go about making noise? Any unconventional methods, combinations of equipment, ways to manipulate gear, until amps are singing, sparks are flying & eardrums are splitting. Or just ways to make strange sound in general (doesnt have to be full-on).
zerosum
feedback loops,multiple pedal chains and twisting knobs like this or this.

Pretty much anything that involves the miniwave and a voltage source comes out noisy and amusing.

Running drums through the Virus b and getting lost in modulating the effects keeps me from getting bored in the winter.
There is also a track in there with the Sherman involved, which always inspires me when I use it! w00t

I like to use the Skrewell ensemble a lot too, with the output routed to the input of an audio track.

The Evolver gets pretty crazy too!

Pretty much just patching stuff together and twisting knobs while recording the whole thing, then editing later is most of what I do.
cebec
I like to experiment with various modular modules in feedback loops with control over the phase angle of the signal in the feedback path. It's the unpredictability of feedback that makes it a rewarding technique, I think.
This piece uses feedback with the Wave Multiplier and a Dual Phaser for fine-tuning.
http://share.ovi.com/media/cebec.public/cebec.10024?sort=5
zerosum
cebec wrote:
I like to experiment with various modular modules in feedback loops with control over the phase angle of the signal in the feedback path. It's the unpredictability of feedback that makes it a rewarding technique, I think.
This piece uses feedback with the Wave Multiplier and a Dual Phaser for fine-tuning.

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! w00t
Roycie Roller
I look forward to hearing those- i gotta jump on a proper computer tomorrow. Hows the Filterbank? I always wondered about it. I have a mono Evolver & agree- it's an incredible machine. Every time i use it i come up with something i like. Real nice lo-fi sound. A poly version would be awesome.
I have a beat up old Roland SH-1000 that does unstable gliding drones- i just jam a stick in between two keys (at the lower end of the keyboard) & have that running very loud through an amp. It starts to get all gritty at high volume. Octave dividers are great for heavy tones.
One of my favourite things to do is get a nice loop going on the Casio Sk-1 with dying batteries. During the last few hours of the batteries life, the loop starts to warp & break up & slows down almost to a stop. Any loop at that stage can be great source material especially soaked in delay.
D/A A/D
Depends on what you mean by noise... But for the most part, dissonance is key.

Just outside of pleasant frequency beating lies wonderful dissonance. Like 4 triangle waves set just short of being in tune with themselves, can create some amazing textures.

I'll make some clips of various techniques I use and post them tonight.

Alex
Roycie Roller
That sounds good- i'd like to hear it. I guess by 'noise' i mean sound not necessarily distorted. Like slabs of dissonance as you describe it. Slightly offset waves at different frequencies. Just general sound sculpting. Im also interested in ways of using equipment to get to those kinds sounds & dissonence. There was a drone trio that used to play here called Death Bed Conversion. The tuba player's goal was to play at frequencies so low the audience becomes physically ill. I think this is referred to as the 'Brown Note', although i recently saw the Mythbusters episode where they tried to find it to no avail. John Meyer (the speaker guy) modified a stack of speakers to play a 5hz frequency at approximately 120-150 decibels. They couldnt find the brown note but those speaker cones were shaking like mad!
D/A A/D
Roycie Roller wrote:
John Meyer (the speaker guy) modified a stack of speakers to play a 5hz frequency at approximately 120-150 decibels. They couldnt find the brown note but those speaker cones were shaking like mad!

Such an awesome episode!
sandyb
@cebec - nice sounds!

one method i use when making drone type stuff is to use a CV Recorder. Record some CVs - for instance LFOs - and then set the start and end loop points really close together. use the resulting outputs to control some oscillators. it gives a wonderful glitchy, wobbly, grainy feel to the sound.

the other thing i do a fair bit of is timestretching sounds once they're in my computer.

sandy
Roycie Roller
Wow that sounds awesome sandyb. Is that a Modcan CV recorder you use? When you time-stretch it those grains would sound great. Do you release music like that?
Chuck E. Jesus
cebec wrote:

we're not worthy
pristak
I rarely use feedback loops.

I tend to use black box devices and modulars layered up and processed through dripping delay. I also throw unusual instruments into the modular and process the hell out of them.
sandyb
Roycie Roller wrote:
Wow that sounds awesome sandyb. Is that a Modcan CV recorder you use? When you time-stretch it those grains would sound great. Do you release music like that?

yes - the modcan cv recorder. $630 of joy smile
i haven't released any music yet - i'm planning a self released cdr for the artist challenge which i hope to have done around october time. there are a few bits and pieces i've put up for the forum here:
http://share.ovi.com/channel/sandyb.public

sandy
D/A A/D
Must resist Modcan system...
pete
my last live noise setup was my favorite so far:

handmade (by Ellis Electronics) FM synth in a cigar box into yamaha e1005
e1005 mix out - ibanez de7
de7 mix out - alesis quadraverb L
de7 dry out - splitter
splitter 1 - quadraverb R
splitter 2 - e1005 input 2 (not pictured)
quadraverb into amp

and here's what that sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/v/Eib20U3eUr0
Muff Wiggler
oh shit, awesome video!! fognozzle live!

you should embed that in the forum
pete
Muff Wiggler wrote:
you should embed that in the forum

I can't seem to work the youtube button
Muff Wiggler
Here you go....

Done like this:

Code:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eib20U3eUr0[/youtube]
pete
ah, thanks. I loved that setup so much that I am working on duplicating it, except all in rack gear... which is where all my cash is going right now
D/A A/D
fognozzle wrote:
ah, thanks. I loved that setup so much that I am working on duplicating it, except all in rack gear... which is where all my cash is going right now

I look forward to seeing that.
Roycie Roller
Nice video fognozzle. That weird light spaghetti on the roof looks like aliens tentacles!
Is the Yamaha a delay? I almost bought one ages ago but missed out & regretted it. It has some very weird modulation capabilities from what i remember. Pure analog too!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1