MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet PS800 standalone power supply
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Blacet PS800 standalone power supply
Muff Wiggler
I dunno, I'm not an engineer. Just lots of personal experiences and ancecdotal evidence. I don't trust them. They make stuff flakier and noisier and prone to weirdness, and lots more stuff to break.

I know the issues with them can be engineered away with extra layers of complexity, but, I dunno. Just don't like 'em. Unfair personal bias maybe.
monstrinho
Muff Wiggler wrote:
I dunno, I'm not an engineer. Just lots of personal experiences and ancecdotal evidence. I don't trust them. They make stuff flakier and noisier and prone to weirdness, and lots more stuff to break.

I know the issues with them can be engineered away with extra layers of complexity, but, I dunno. Just don't like 'em. Unfair personal bias maybe.

I have to say that I used to agree, but I've been using a Blacet RAK-2 with the new power supply in it for over 9 months now, and I cannot hear anything at all that leads me to believe it is having a negative affect on the audio. It is rock solid and very stable, nothing weird or quirky happening at all. When I look at it on the scope, it's very clean.
Cat-A-Tonic
I had a situation recently where oscillators were bleeding into another module on a TipTop powered bussboard.
Moving the modules to a Power1 linear supply completely solved the problem.
You can read about it here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1757263#1757263
Hermetech Mastering
Cheers, am tempted to hunt out PS500s just in case then...
shadmock
Hello Everyone: does anyone know the max amount of modules this can power? I'm starting a new system and will be going Frac/Blacet/Paia/Metalbox/Barton route....
monstrinho
shadmock wrote:
Hello Everyone: does anyone know the max amount of modules this can power? I'm starting a new system and will be going Frac/Blacet/Paia/Metalbox/Barton route....

It's 800mA, so you should figure a maximum of maybe 600mA to make sure you're not pushing the limit of the PSU. Power draw for modules can be a tricky thing; LEDs draw power when lit, certain patches demand more out of a module than others, so you should always err on the maximum draw rather than the minimum, For Blacet modules, the power draw of the various modules is on their site. Other manufacturers can probably give you a good estimate for each module via email if you contact them. Tha Blacet Rak-2 is designed to power up to 17 modules on a 800mA supply, so that should give you a good estimate as far as an upper limit goes.
Hermetech Mastering
There's a whole thread about power draw for different Frac modules, I think it's stickied, have a search. AFAIK Blacet PSUs are "very conservatively rated", so you can go up 800mA without worrying.
fracmonkey
You really have to check out the power consumption spec of each module.

They all differ but a rule of thumb is 50 mA per module. You only have to consider the + side generally, so 800/50 is 16 modules.

Switching supplies have been used in most musical applications for many decades and they work fine. In fact it is hard to find components to make linear supplies anymore. They are heavy, produce extra heat and of course are not "green".
Hermetech Mastering
But according to some people switching sound worse. Hence the above discussion on PS500 vs PS800 linear vs switching supplies etc. I found a 500, gonna try and find a couple more...
werock
shadmock wrote:

If you use the Frac section of Modulargrid to put your rack ideas together it should give you an approximate power rating - most of the 'standard' modules have the current draw listed on there.

https://www.modulargrid.net
BananaPlug
Hermetech Mastering wrote:
But according to some people switching sound worse.

The designs and parts have gotten a lot better over the years and this one is designed by Blacet specifically for modular gear. Not fair to lump it in with everything that came before. Also, Modulargrid power specs are not all correct. Check manufacturer's info.
shadmock
Thank you everyone for the responses!!--I received an email from Blacet that confirms what you guys are saying-800mA, 16 modules @ +50mA ea. It slows my roll down just a tad-I had visions of waaaay more than 16 modules! But, for $214 I can get another PS and power distro....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2