MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dave Smith Modular???
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Dave Smith Modular???
pwranml
They just posted their new synth and in the video there is a eurorack module that appears to be their curtis filter. They didn't even say anything about it yet it seems. Let the speculation begin I guess.

Module shown 5 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNp85kiMXK0#t=302
jc3music
+ 1 million for Dave Smith Eurorack! I want them all and I want them NOW!!!!!
ignatius
fano
Oh, that would be great! Love their filters!
fano
ignatius wrote:

Looks super legit. I think it's happening.
hpsounds
thumbs up

Somebody in the MuffShop circle (I think that it was ignatius oops ) slipped some weeks ago about in the forum about something like this ! So, I was waiting for this kind of things.

Nice ! hyper

H.
plogbidman
OLYH IHST !!! Dead Banana
ignatius
hpsounds wrote:
thumbs up

Somebody in the MuffShop circle (I think that it was ignatius oops ) slipped some weeks ago about in the forum about something like this ! So, I was waiting for this kind of things.

Nice ! hyper

H.

wasn't me. it's a surprise to me as is to all of you guys. i wonder how it'll stack up to the Z2040 and Filtare?

filter from them seems an obvious choice but i'd rather see them put out an oscillator w/the wave seqeuncing like in the evolver etc.
pwranml
So it appears to be a combo filter and vca?

Anyone know whats going on underneath the resonance knob? I've been squinting at that for a minute now.
Crandall1
Oops. I know, but I just redacted it.
hpsounds
@ ignatius

Or maybe it was Crandall1, here or on his blog or ... I don't really remember how I have guessed it. hmmm..... hihi

H.
Crandall1
Nope. I definitely haven't said anything, although I've known for quite a while. Must have been someone else.
Cata
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang
alamandra
do it dave do it do more of it then some more.
Orson
That's really cool to see !
Hope they come up with interesting modules (Like a module of the "character" section of the Prophet 12 or of the Evolver Osc)
nucleus
Amazing they ve gone modular. Not thrilled over the dave smith filter flava but definitely buying it
alamandra
Orson wrote:
That's really cool to see !
Hope they come up with interesting modules (Like a module of the "character" section of the Prophet 12 or of the Evolver Osc)

to half echo you and half expand on this, I wonder if the effects side of it might end up in modular, oh by it I mean evolver.
mr.freeman
It's motherfucking bacon yo
sloth713
I think it would be cool if they released a FX module that had the: air, girth, hack, decimate, and drive character effects from the Prophet 12's and Pro2's character section.
bodo
Well... it does say 'DMS01', so this could be part of a series om modules seriously, i just don't get it

Hope so, never found the filter of the Evolver _that_ exciting, it has ben more of a more-than-a-sum-of-its parts kind of synth for me.
plogbidman
DSI is going eurorack... Will Moog or/and Korg go eurorack ???
sloth713
plogbidman wrote:
DSI is going eurorack... Will Moog or/and Korg go eurorack ???

I personal doubt it (but would love to be proven wrong). DSI is still a small 3 or 4 person operation AFAIK so they have far more flexibility to go and do more "wild" things than humongous Korg or medium/smallish Moog. Also it seems to me that Dave is currently more in the mindset of having synth fun is more important than making lots of money.
suboptimal
Interesting. I'm with others in hoping they module-ize some of the more interesting bits of their synths. The filter seems like a sensible place to begin, if they're really going to launch into it, but Eurorack's filter market is pretty saturated.
wellurban
suboptimal wrote:
Eurorack's filter market is pretty saturated.

Well, we all like a nice bit of saturation.
CF3
Always thought the filter in the DSI synths were the least interesting part. You really gotta work with it to hit some sweet spots. Hopefully he releases something a little more exotic like the oscillator section of the P12.
KONTAKT1968
The P2 itself looks interesting with all the cv and gate i/o great controller for eurorack
fano
Looks like it has two switches below the resonance pot.
First one seems to be a 2/4pole switch and second maybe pre/post vca or something alike?

Anyone notice the knobs? Oh my, how pretty! oops
sneak-thief
2nd switch says "Boost: On"
executiveBlaster
wow, this synth is for realz!

The 4 cv inputs can be routed anywhere...

"you could run most parameters to any of the cv outputs, including oscillators, lfos, envelopes, the sequencer, whatever ... at audio rates"

holy smokes!
eole
good news smile
Count Edlington
While the company's entry into eurorack is excellent news, I have to agree with the others that a more exotic module would have been a better choice. How many filters do we really need seriously, i just don't get it
fano
We need this one then we're good... i think.
ben_hex
The pro 2 sounds great! As others have said another module other than filter would be a good entry, the fx section would be great, some DCOs even with the features he packs in. Sure the filter will sound good though.
plogbidman
A very good filter is a very good start... A very good VCO will certainly come next...
robmozart
Are there any modules like this out there?
njdoyle
robmozart wrote:

The A-122?
n_m
njdoyle wrote:
robmozart wrote:

The A-122?

Is it the same Curtis filter chip?
There are quite few
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEM_and_SSM_chips_in_synthesizers
bassnode
Interesting. I'm pretty sure in his recent talk at CCRMA he said something like "everyone makes a monosynth now so there's no reason to really try and compete in that market". Plus, an audience member asked if they were going to get into the Euro market and he kind of laughed and made it seem like they weren't seriously considering it... hmmm.....

DECEPTION! confused

But I'm ok with that, of course....just sayin
qu.one
Not sure how this is relevant. I get it, but way late to the party.
bassnode
qu.one wrote:

It's relevant because only because he was trying pretty hard to keep at least one of them a secret by misleading talk.

Again - I'm happy the Pro2 (and maybe a filter module?) exist - I just thought it was interesting since that CCRMA talk was so recent.
flashheart
He said"stranger things have happened", I took this as meaning 'don't be surprised if we do'
qu.one
bassnode wrote:
qu.one wrote:

It's relevant because only because he was trying pretty hard to keep at least one of them a secret by misleading talk.

Again - I'm happy the Pro2 (and maybe a filter module?) exist - I just thought it was interesting since that CCRMA talk was so recent.

i meant his relevancy in the world of eurorack. i could care less about secrecy. i see it as this - hey, there's these guys who spends shit loads of money on these little modules that I can probably make with my eyes closed. time to make some extra money. and good for him, but it's just nothing i am interested in.

i think i need a break from this place.
de_raaf
basically there are so many small manufactures that you can also say they takes sales away from another manufacture, so why be harsh if dsi would do euro modules, i bet not everyone is interested in every maker their line of modules, so

edited
with late to party, than you can say that to all module makers of the last few years, weird ha
SymbioteK
DSI should be able to bring a lot to the table, if they get it right.
abstraktor
Is there actually anything that DSI can bring to the modular world that isn't already there? CEM based filters? (quite a few of them around).
computer controlled
I love the filter on the Mopho. So i'm hoping this is real.
steffensen
DSI did a new take on the Curtis filter for the mopho if i remember correctly. New production something.. i love this filter and wouldnt mind one in my rack. SlayerBadger!
alamandra
steffensen wrote:
DSI did a new take on the Curtis filter for the mopho if i remember correctly. New production something.. i love this filter and wouldnt mind one in my rack. SlayerBadger!

I seem to remember something about a revised chip somewhere when I was looking into getting a dsi of some form or other.
ben_hex
computer controlled wrote:
I love the filter on the Mopho. So i'm hoping this is real.

I love the DSI Mopho filter too, although I'll be selling mine soon as it's just not getting the use it should with my current workflow.
restlessboy
The other way to look at it is that DSI modules might get people interested in euro for the first time, which should lead to more sales for all manufacturers. Rockin' Banana!
djpasica
wow. it will be nice Rockin' Banana!
stillmonk
Super cool, definitely a good and foreseeable choice for DSI.
A few people have mentioned how nice it would be to have the Prophet 12 style waveshapes in a euro oscillator. It would be very cool to have cv controllable shape mods, and even though there is a lot to compete with these days in terms of eurorack wavetable, it could kill if they did this stuff right.

Im trying to think of how they would approach other modules, and what they might have to offer inspired by their older synths... I can't think of too much else that could be simply pulled out.
morphic
kinda puts a damper on this Gotharman's miniprophet

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95891&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=20
facklr
I love how they just sort of drop it in the video. They're talking about the Pro 2 and the CV options and then they show the Pro 2 in front of a row of modules and then - out of nowhere - WwwRaaawwwrrrr - and then back to talking about the Pro 2.

Obvious, yet refined.
de_raaf
i kind of hope for a 3 or 4 delay line module i think that would be cool
nedavine

They are clearly trying to gauge peoples response by showing these OBVIOUS shots of the DSI filter module. Even Carsonday is doing it now.
matttech
HA!

Maybe they read my thread!

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36637&highlight=evol ver

well interested in this... SlayerBadger!
Modulus
Needless to say I'm very excited about the possibilities the pro2 adds for driving my small and humble 9u eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 3