MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

a161 and a186-1 OR (gate) combiner help!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author a161 and a186-1 OR (gate) combiner help!!
matttech
hi all

just noticed something strange about my a161 and a186-1 combination

i bought the a186-1 so that i could take certain steps out of my a161 and combine them together in the a186-1 gate combiner and produce little rhythmic patterns

however, if i send adjacent steps (eg: 3 and 4) out of the a161 into the gate combiner it ignores the second one

it works fine if i leave a gap of one step, but it won't combine 2 or more consecutive steps. it's almost as if the gate just stays open until it receives an empty step from the a161 to tell it to close again

is this normal?

it actually joins the 2 adjacent steps together to make one longer one, which could be useful i guess, but wasn't what i was expecting. maybe this is more useful....only just noticed it

doesn't matter what speed the a161 is running at

cheers
matt
Drumdrumdrumdrum
Deleted

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Rock on SlayerBadger!
thomachine
Thats the way it works. The gate out on the next step will go on so quick that there is no gap between the two steps, so it turns into one long gate instead.
abstractjuz
Hmmm - an A-186-1 is on my shopping list for this exact job - but to me this description...
matttech wrote:
if i send adjacent steps (eg: 3 and 4) out of the a161 into the gate combiner it ignores the second one

...sounds different to this...

matttech wrote:
it actually joins the 2 adjacent steps together to make one longer one

If you plug the A-161 outs (3) and (4) into the A-186-1 are you getting a High output the length of (3) plus (4) (i.e. an output that goes High when A-161 (3) goes High and goes Low when A-161 (4) goes Low) or an output that goes High when A-161 (3) goes High and then Low when A-161 (3) goes Low - ignoring A-161 (4) completely?

I'd say one High output the length of A-161 (3) + (4) would be what I would've expected/wanted. I'd be curious to know if it was doing something else?
matttech
abstractjuz wrote:
Hmmm - an A-186-1 is on my shopping list for this exact job - but to me this description...
matttech wrote:
if i send adjacent steps (eg: 3 and 4) out of the a161 into the gate combiner it ignores the second one

...sounds different to this...

matttech wrote:
it actually joins the 2 adjacent steps together to make one longer one

If you plug the A-161 outs (3) and (4) into the A-186-1 are you getting a High output the length of (3) plus (4) (i.e. an output that goes High when A-161 (3) goes High and goes Low when A-161 (4) goes Low) or an output that goes High when A-161 (3) goes High and then Low when A-161 (3) goes Low - ignoring A-161 (4) completely?

I'd say one High output the length of A-161 (3) + (4) would be what I would've expected/wanted. I'd be curious to know if it was doing something else?

i'm not sure that i quite follow your various queries, but essentially what happens is that it would go high at the start of step 3, and go low again at the start of step 5 - essentially making one long note that lasts for the length of steps 3+4 combined.

quite useful actually, the more i think about it - i was just expecting it to work more like a gate output of a sequencer, producing a gate on every step, lasting half a step (eg: cycling from high to low on every step)....but it seems that the gate actually must last a FULL step (so, a 16th if the clock is on 16ths of a bar, rather than the more usual 32nd length gate you'd find on a traditional sequncer)
flashheart
I'd imagine if the clock outs are gates rather than triggers, then adding adjacent steps together will produce one longer gate. Shame there isn't an option for triggers out of the A-161 rather than gates.
Rigo
It's completely normal ... whatever duty cycle you feed into the 160, the individual gates on the 161 will always be on for the full 100% of a cycle. If you really want to go this path you'd need a gate/trigger delay for each of the gates of the 161 you'll be using.
But maybe it can be modified to give only triggers in stead of gates ?

Edit:
If you have also a logic module, combine (AND) the output of the 186 with the original clock signal ... et voila.
matttech
Thanks all. Its not too much of a big deal the more I think about it, and is quite cool really, as I don't have any other clockable sequencer modules that will let me tie notes together

So every cloud has a silver lining!
Navs
matttech wrote:

That's the attitude!

But, yes, it's logical when you understand what it's doing. It's just a passive mixer using diodes rather than resistors i.e. you'd get the same result with an A-138 etc.

I've faced this problem when trying to combine the comparator gates from the A-143-1 in an A-172 min/max, which is a similar circuit.

The solution might be some passive HPFs to 'shorten' the gates. Shouldn't be too difficult to mod the A-186-1 for this.
matttech
Navs wrote:
matttech wrote:

That's the attitude!

But, yes, it's logical when you understand what it's doing. It's just a passive mixer using diodes rather than resistors i.e. you'd get the same result with an A-138 etc.

I've faced this problem when trying to combine the comparator gates from the A-143-1 in an A-172 min/max, which is a similar circuit.

The solution might be some passive HPFs to 'shorten' the gates. Shouldn't be too difficult to mod the A-186-1 for this.

i think my confusion lies with the a161 rather than the combiner. i was expecting it to be sending a stream of half-step gates out....much like a clock signal (so that, for example, if there were 8 steps per bar, each would go high and low once a step, making the high section a 16th in length, followed by a 16th gap. then i was expecting to combine them in the OR combiner to produce a stream of pulses, similar to a clock......but obviously i'd be able to choose which ones were active or not)
Rigo
matttech wrote:
i was expecting it to be sending a stream of half-step gates out....much like a clock signal

So you don't read manuals ? twisted Page 3 by the way Guinness ftw!
regenbot
I'm makin couple of these http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs24_gatetotrigger.html to turn gates in to triggers.
conscious
mmh, noticed that a couple weeks ago.
Is this only the case with the A-161 or do other trigger sequencers do the same thing?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1