MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

moon 569 setup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author moon 569 setup
Nelson Baboon
Hardware puzzles me. I won't touch diy stuff...

but here I am, stumped already. Just got my case today, so I'm ready to set this all up. The 2 569 expander modules have cables whose destination seems pretty clear on the 569. But the 569 comes with a cable coming out of it, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it. I don't see any kind of instructions anywhere, so I suppose that this is supposed to be obvious to someone with half a brain. Luckily I have enough of a brain to know that I have less than half of one. sigh. I hate this shit. I came so close to going all software a few years ago....
suitandtieguy
it's probably the moon-only power cable, which means you can ignore it.
Nelson Baboon
suitandtieguy wrote:
it's probably the moon-only power cable, which means you can ignore it.

'moon only' meaning that it's only for the moon case? (impending sigh of relief)

And is the idea on this thing - to install modules that have interconnections, like for instance the 569 + 2 expansions - that you hook it up horizontally on the floor or something? I don't see how I can hold them all together and install them while the case is vertical. But this is going to be fun - the case (a double 32 unit case) is relatively heavy without any modules in it.

Sometimes I think that I should go back to all software, but then I get the shit set up, and I'm ok.
suitandtieguy
I made those cases with removeable backs for a reason.
bwhittington
Yeah, the ribbon cable that comes with Moon stuff is for use with COTK-style power distribution. Just disconnect/ignore it.

Cheers,
Brian
Nelson Baboon
suitandtieguy wrote:
I made those cases with removeable backs for a reason.

This is what you said in your email:"i'll try to get ahold of a hole saw for 1" pass-through holes per row between the cabinets."

I removed one of the bolts, and there is no hole.

I don't see in your emails that you made the backs removable for this. I'm not sure of the advantage to putting them vertically, given that the modules are at the front....so, I'm not sure why it's better to have them bolted together.

I've been emailing you but you haven't responded. Probably tech support is better via email.

Sorry - I'm grouchy - I've already tweaked my back moving this big awkward case around in various positions to get these modules in, and this is going to take awhile.
suitandtieguy
i'm sorry if i came across as short, i'm not in the studio right now and a actually was posting from my Palm Centro.

now i'm at a restaraunt and typing on my shitpiece E-Machines netbook and can type a bit more.

no, i was not able to get a hole saw. i'm sorry.

to clarify, the reason i made the backs removeable is so you can install the modules in the front, and then do all your connections from the back.
Nelson Baboon
ok - that make sense. The back comes off easily. The first few modules fit in the really nicely - But I'm still not sure why these are bolted together.

And also - I'm not sure why you said that these aren't stackable. Seems like it would be pretty easy to get another pair on top of these....

suitandtieguy wrote:
i'm sorry if i came across as short, i'm not in the studio right now and a actually was posting from my Palm Centro.

now i'm at a restaraunt and typing on my shitpiece E-Machines netbook and can type a bit more.

no, i was not able to get a hole saw. i'm sorry.

to clarify, the reason i made the backs removeable is so you can install the modules in the front, and then do all your connections from the back.
suitandtieguy
you could put another cabinet on top of those two but putting one of those on top of the other is just insane.
Nelson Baboon
suitandtieguy wrote:
you could put another cabinet on top of those two but putting one of those on top of the other is just insane.

confused - yeah - those are bolted together, so I'm not sure how, other than 'unbolting' them. but in terms of saving space, it seems like it would be pretty easy with 2 similar cases, to just stack them on top of these, and that they would be pretty stable.
paults
This thread useless without pics.
Nelson Baboon
It's fucked. No idea how to troubleshoot this.

the 569 is outputting gates, but the pitch is all messed up. I'm just outputting the pitch cv to a telemark, and it just shuts off the sound. I think it's because the voltage is too high (?) - when I send the same voltage to the filter mod, it just turns the cutoff all the way up.

Simply no idea right now what would cause this. Logical solution would be to just throw the whole fucking thing out the window.
SynthBaron
Maybe that cable is for something:

Nelson Baboon
momentary ray of hope, but you were right the first time. It's the power cable for "cotk power adapter".

I just don't know what to do right now. I've checked all of the connections for the 569, and unplugged it from the extension modules in case that was an issue. But the cv output is all screwed up. Otherwise the module seems to be working.

With my luck, the moon modular people are gone all weekend, and I'll just have to forget about this thing for awhile. Goddamn, triple fuck goddamn it.
suitandtieguy
let me get this straight.

the 569 and its expanders ship with cables that require them to be side-by-side (10MU of space), but the Moon Modular cases themselves are only 8MU wide instead of 10MU?
Nelson Baboon
suitandtieguy wrote:
let me get this straight.

the 569 and its expanders ship with cables that require them to be side-by-side (10MU of space), but the Moon Modular cases themselves are only 8MU wide instead of 10MU?

Well, I don't think that they need to be side by side. The cables seem long enough to have them placed vertically. So I don't think that's an issue.

But the whole thing is moot if I can't get it to work.
suitandtieguy
try setting the Voltage Ranges switches (the lower right hand corner) to 2 volts.
SynthBaron
Have you tried setting the panel voltage range switch per row to a lower level?
Nelson Baboon
SynthBaron wrote:
Have you tried setting the panel voltage range switch per row to a lower level?

that's one of the first things I tried. It had no effect.
Nelson Baboon
suitandtieguy wrote:
try setting the Voltage Ranges switches (the lower right hand corner) to 2 volts.

Yes - see response to synth Baron
Nelson Baboon
Bingo.....wow. One of the power connectors in one of the other rows must have been off by one pin or something. Went through all of them, and replugged them, and now it's working.
SynthBaron
Well, that's good to hear.
suitandtieguy
ok cool i'm glad it didn't fry.
Nelson Baboon
SynthBaron wrote:
Well, that's good to hear.

hah - yes - in both senses. And it makes the difference between giving up tired, depressed, and frustrated, and, well, quite happy. Though it's late enough that I won't make much more progress at this point.
Nelson Baboon
suitandtieguy wrote:
ok cool i'm glad it didn't fry.

I've done this before with eurorack stuff, and I've never had anything get fried. It SEEMS that getting the power cables off by one pin causes stuff not to work, but doesn't fry stuff - at least that seems to be so.

My vision isn't what it used to be. I find it difficult to get them all right sometimes - they all seem in their correctly, and they sure did this time, but one of them was off.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2