MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hex Zone vs. Metalbox Sequential Switch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Hex Zone vs. Metalbox Sequential Switch
kursk53704
Hey People:

Looking for feedback on how these two modules compare. Especially in regards to ease of use and versatility. I think I'm more in need of a device that has more functionality for sequencing, which probably is the Hex Zone - but any advice/insight on these two modules (fun factor, ease, flexibility, headaches, surprises, shortcomings, etc) is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Kwote
i have very limited experience with the sequential switch but a key difference is inhibit and reverse are staples on the sequential that aren't available on the hex.

the sequential is much more of a analog/modular style as no real programming is necessary. it's all in how you patch and you need a quantizer to get exact notes out of it.

the hex is vast at programming but also brings the benefit of 16 switch I/O. two pitch cv's, gate and clock dividable from 1/1 to 1/32nd.

anyways, a lot of variation can be had by twisting knobs on the sequential whereas most variation on the Hex comes from programming before or during the mix. it's actually the easiest thing i've programmed but i do like the plug and twist style of the sequential and every other module for that matter(the main reason i do the modular thing). so my plan is to eventually build a sequential to go with my HEX.

i suggest reading about each one on the respective manufacturer's sites for more info. also check out the Blacet Hexzone thread here in the Blacet section of this forum.
Cat-A-Tonic
My plan is to build a Klee to go with my Hex. Flamey
The only problem is I will have to wait until the Klee PCB has another run available. I stupidly got the board components and thought that the Mega Percussion Synth PCB was going to be released immenently so I waited thinking I could combine on shipping. d'oh!

Like you said, the Hex has the seq. switch I/O covered; so I figure the Klee will kick ass as a hands on inspirational pattern generator.
nathankirchner
Kwote wrote:
i have very limited experience with the sequential switch but a key difference is inhibit and reverse are staples on the sequential that aren't available on the hex.

What's 'inhibit'?
Kent
Fuk dat! What's the 'Mega Percussion Ass-Rape PCB/Synth'? Bananallama!
Cat-A-Tonic
Here is the forum link:

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21279

and here is the explanation from Thomas Henry:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id28.html

Imagine having one of these AND a CGS Cynare!!!! love

Right now my only percussion modules are the CGS Dual Drum
and a Boss Dr. Pad III (which rules especially for the price - $20).
Kwote
nathankirchner wrote:
Kwote wrote:

What's 'inhibit'?

"Inhibit input - when input voltage is high all outputs are sent low"

http://metalbox.com/modules/seqsw.html
Cat-A-Tonic
My Hex Zone is nearing completion.
I was wondering... which way does the heatsink point?
Does anyone have a picture of the back side?
johnnymad
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
My Hex Zone is nearing completion.
I was wondering... which way does the heatsink point?
Does anyone have a picture of the back side?

the heat sink points to the back of the rack. the flat side corresponds with the legend at the top of the pcb. i finished building a hex about a week ago. i'm having so much fun with it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1