MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

CrossOver Filter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author CrossOver Filter
BugBrand
In case anyone missed the mailout yesterday...:

First batch now online (few remaining)

wednesdayayay
If I wasn't saving for a video synth I would pick one of these up for my ciat lonbarde setup
Cheradenine
This is fun!
we're not worthy
nanners
Ordered, of course !
soup
Fucking fucking fuck is this good!

I never considered flipping the phase on opposite sides of a filter before. The frequency canceling (along with the fucked up internal modulation) is blowing my mind.
ginorobair
Really enjoying the ability to go from clean to gritty/grungy in short order with this filter. I'll post a pic of mine in situ once I figure out how to get this darn thing to accept my photo...
BugBrand
I happen to have one available right now - here

The 2nd-half of the main production batch is being completed at the moment so.. more soon(ish)
qstate
Gotta say that I dig the CO Filter for live drone tweaking. The big knobs are great and am running into two channels of a mixer for theoretical hard panning.

Here's a lengthy slow build jam (action starts around 10 min) with the 2x CO Filters processing 6 drone oscillators each out of a NLC CMOSC. Headphones are recommended as the DRM1 bass is low...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/177899837" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

This is a great live rig add-on:
Zeitdehner
I found that to be quite excellent ! Thanks for sharing thumbs up
Kernelkunt
qstate wrote:
Gotta say that I dig the CO Filter for live drone tweaking. The big knobs are great and am running into two channels of a mixer for theoretical hard panning.

Here's a lengthy slow build jam (action starts around 10 min) with the 2x CO Filters processing 6 drone oscillators each out of a NLC CMOSC. Headphones are recommended as the DRM1 bass is low...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/177899837" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Thats a really cool jam! Just six oscillators into the CO filter? I also checked out the other jam on your soundcloud, was that a similar setup?
tron23
Thanks for sharing, the CO is so nice! Guinness ftw!
qstate
Kernelkunt wrote:

Thats a really cool jam! Just six oscillators into the CO filter? I also checked out the other jam on your soundcloud, was that a similar setup?

Thanks!

In #1 the drone part was actually the 12 oscillators from the CMOSC (6 pairs). There are other "voices" in there from the VCO panel. In #2, I had to leave out the Reds because for the performance I was preparing for I ran out of table space to fit an 11FW enclosure and Bug PSU (another plus for the smaller red enclosures). Currently, I'm working on a new setup so I can fit 2x PEQs, 2 COFilters+exp, and 1 or 2 PT Delays.

The two sets of 3 pairs were mixed into the two Mix modules of the NLC VCO panel with the output of each Mix into it's own COFilter. The High (mix) outputs of the COFilter were run into a little Soundcraft mixer. With the two freq knobs and the level knobs, it's really easy to blend and evolve the sound over time. This is a pretty simple and naive usage of the CoFilter but it's an application that really sold me on the design of the Reds in general as both studio and live tools that can be add-on to any other system. I enjoy using the COFilter and PEQ more than a typical outboard/mixer EQ for creative purposes and am not really into tweaking DAW plugins (the pain!).

In general, I find myself using the Reds more to enhance other systems as a "modular sidecar" rather than keeping it with my Blues. For example, they are an amazing complement to NLC, Ciat-Lonbarde or even Buchla stuff. Combined with an Easel/208r or CQ/PB combo, those systems would really open up a lot of sonic possibilities beyond their typical sound. I don't really patch them as much with Serge or Bugbrand (except DRM1) which is opposite of what I thought when I got them!
Kernelkunt
qstate wrote:
Kernelkunt wrote:

Thanks!

In #1 the drone part was actually the 12 oscillators from the CMOSC (6 pairs). There are other "voices" in there from the VCO panel. In #2, I had to leave out the Reds because for the performance I was preparing for I ran out of table space to fit an 11FW enclosure and Bug PSU (another plus for the smaller red enclosures). Currently, I'm working on a new setup so I can fit 2x PEQs, 2 COFilters+exp, and 1 or 2 PT Delays.

The two sets of 3 pairs were mixed into the two Mix modules of the NLC VCO panel with the output of each Mix into it's own COFilter. The High (mix) outputs of the COFilter were run into a little Soundcraft mixer. With the two freq knobs and the level knobs, it's really easy to blend and evolve the sound over time. This is a pretty simple and naive usage of the CoFilter but it's an application that really sold me on the design of the Reds in general as both studio and live tools that can be add-on to any other system. I enjoy using the COFilter and PEQ more than a typical outboard/mixer EQ for creative purposes and am not really into tweaking DAW plugins (the pain!).

In general, I find myself using the Reds more to enhance other systems as a "modular sidecar" rather than keeping it with my Blues. For example, they are an amazing complement to NLC, Ciat-Lonbarde or even Buchla stuff. Combined with an Easel/208r or CQ/PB combo, those systems would really open up a lot of sonic possibilities beyond their typical sound. I don't really patch them as much with Serge or Bugbrand (except DRM1) which is opposite of what I thought when I got them!

Thanks for the run-down! Always interesting to hear how people are using these tools. Would also love to hear it if you got some more of these drones.
BugBrand
So.. now that I've begun releasing a 2nd run of the CrossOverFilter, do any users care to comment on how they've found it? It has been out roughly a year now.

I'm partly asking because it seems to be a slow-burner - the PEQ seems to get the attention at the moment, so I wonder if I haven't described the POWER clearly enough?!

One point being - someone said a couple of days ago that they'd rather wait for a PEQ because they wanted the big-knobs for High-pass & Low-pass.. Well, I said...
- if you take the MID output, then you get that WITH EXTRAS (resonance and CV control, for example) -- the first filter does the High-Pass, the 2nd does the Low-Pass. (MS20-ish even perhaps?)

But then.. you can also mix in a bit of the extracted bands at the same time - or play with the phasing (definitely changes the resonance response) - or do those with the individual outputs and get crazy with panning.

The 3 outputs and/or the normalised output mixing = (I feel) pretty darn powerful! You can, for example, get phasing effects if you keep both levels up around the cutoff point ( x 2 because there are the 2 filters). Hell, it even gives 2 pure sine-waves with the ability to self-modulate (Modulation set to Int - this takes each BP filter output over to the CV input)
Zeitdehner
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but isn't it a bit awkward to have the mute in the center position of the polarity switches ?
I think I'd rather be able to switch polarity without having to get past the mute either way... hmmm.....
BugBrand
I don't *think* it is too awkward - but perhaps others can comment..
- in testing I switch from +ve to -ve, usually finding that it moves instantly through the centre-off position.
- saying that, I've never really played with the polarity switching in a live situation.
indexofmetals
The PEQ is great (I have 6) and use them with 500 series preamps & compressors. I've got a Chandler Curve Bender as well and JLM 500 series EQ's and the PEQ sits at least equal to them.

but I still think the COF is better. I use it and the wavefolder in every patch. I've gotten to know it so well that I wouldn't change anything.

Re phasing, the basis of this song were two Bugbrand patches that I made as close to each other as possible, done live as stereo (both fed into pair of Roland tape echo's as didn't have a spring tanker at the time) and I was manipulating both COF's by hand so the sweeping isn't perfectly in sync.

https://twice-dead.bandcamp.com/track/tide-tables
Zeitdehner
BugBrand wrote:
I don't *think* it is too awkward - but perhaps others can comment..
- in testing I switch from +ve to -ve, usually finding that it moves instantly through the centre-off position.
- saying that, I've never really played with the polarity switching in a live situation.

I was just wondering...perhaps I'll try this at Phisynth's one of these days...

@Indexofmetals : that track sounds superb woah thumbs up
vegas7188
I think when i got a PEQ my intention was to use it as part of a traditional channel strip for recording and mixing duties and i looked at the Crossover filter and kind of thought of it more as a part of a synth setup (at the time i didnt get one as i felt i already had filters in my synth setup). As i read on and looked into it more, the more into the idea of the Crossover i became (how it can essentially function in a similar way as the PEQ in a Channel strip set up if you want plus alot more) and now i bought one on this run! Hooray!

I also thought i might try it wth my bass guitar going via the crossover to a couple of amps (hi-pass to guitar amp via other effects perhaps) and low-pass to bass amp perhaps clean keep some of the low end in tact and not blow up guitar amp. Could be quite fun.

Plus obviously big bonus is banana cv ins.
/\/\/\/
The PEQ is great at what it does - the physical layout is perfect and it's a very useful tool. For me, the COFilter is much more fun to play with, and playing with resonance and self-modulation leads to more interesting results compared to straight EQ changes. You can pull little hidden melodies out of a drum loop or completely change the character of a sound - almost like some kind of sonic alchemy. (With the addition of a few other guitar pedals, I've made an sk-1 rhythm preset sound like a fairly convincing symphony orchestra, and a very drunken marching band.) When generating a sine wave with each filter, you can play some nice overtone series drones. And the stereo applications are great too... so many directions to go within this box.

I would be interested to hear any creative uses for multiple COFilters... I'm definitely considering picking up a second one.
batchas
Moving atm to another place, but I was able to test for the first time the COF filter during 10 mins.
I must say: I was very impressed! To me, I'd say a true revelation.
What Tom did here is IMO quite unique! we're not worthy

And I'm impatient to be able to play again with the BugBrand system It's peanut butter jelly time!
otoskope
Agreed! Every time I use it I found new ways and new features. Amazing module. Fantastic to create stereo richness from mono sources, too!

Palle
seeasound
Hey just got my first Bug gear, a CO Filter and PEQ a few hours ago and as expected they are totally off the hook! Really exciting to have these two unique tone shapers in the studio AND they look and feel so freaking awesome, I love red!!

Here is my first play around on the CO filter. No stereo freakery yet.. Running into it is the Little Deformer...another magnificent piece scored a little over a month ago and Im just running through a buncha patterns I made while tweaking the CO thumbs up

[s]http://soundcloud.com/seer/co-filter-demo/s-CiRrR[/s]
batchas
Finally I took a few mins today to check the CrossOver Filter functionality. Really a great design!

Had fun at the end of the session with playing it simply in self-oscillating mode. Same CV from sequencer going into CV from 1 & 2.
Direct Out to reverb/delay.
Sorry, I should cut at 1:00, but I'm on the other computer now without possibility to do so before upload.

We don't hear always the highest note, cause I mute CV2 from time to time.
I like how the highest note from 2 sounds when Q is not fully opened (VCA/LPG alike):

http://batchas.bandcamp.com/track/bugbrand-cof-self-oscillating
drwiener
batchas wrote:
Finally I took a few mins today to check the CrossOver Filter functionality. Really a great design!

Had fun at the end of the session with playing it simply in self-oscillating mode. Same CV from sequencer going into CV from 1 & 2.
Direct Out to reverb/delay.
Sorry, I should cut at 1:00, but I'm on the other computer now without possibility to do so before upload.

We don't hear always the highest note, cause I mute CV2 from time to time.
I like how the highest note from 2 sounds when Q is not fully opened (VCA/LPG alike):

http://batchas.bandcamp.com/track/bugbrand-cof-self-oscillating

nice demo - makes me want it more!
BugBrand
Two good demos above! Nice (and sorry for being slow to listen seeasound)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4