MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Disting reality check - the jacks are very bad!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Disting reality check - the jacks are very bad!
Upright
I'll keep my eye out for the MKII.
bisquick
i just received a disting mk2 from control in NY and the jacks exhibit the same issue that was posted about originally in this thread. i guess i need to contact control about it... eek!

@os - is there anything that is currently being done about this that would allow me to return this item and get another one that has new jacks?

is the issue actually addressed in a new batch that'd gone out recently?
my purchase date was 9/20/15, so i'm assuming that they had the current stock in as of that date. maybe not? is there a HW revision to speak of that i can check against?

help
snufkin
one thing that might help is sourcing some jacks that are slightly bigger than normal, these should stay in the jack sockets better.

Cliff does a whole range of non standard mini-jacks that are only fractionally bigger than normal
os
@bisquick The most recent batch has the date code 20150821 on it.
bisquick
@os:

OK, I can confirm that the jacks still easily pop out with this revision.
I read here that the problem was being assessed and that you were attempting a resolution in the manufacturing process. It doesn't seem to be resolved as of this batch.

Would you be able to link to some documentation or specs on the jacks (maybe they're standard?) that the user can use to replace the jacks with their own? I'm happy to cripple the functionality of the LED displays in favor of stable connections. It's a great module.

thanks,
b
os
The jacks are mechanically compatible with the standard Cliff parts used by Doepfer, Analogue Systems and others.
bisquick
OK, great! Thank you.
deaddogsinhalf
This is such a shame to hear, I'm clicks away from ordering one here in Australia but have spent the last couple of days fixing/re-calibrating modules that maybe i'll wait on this one.
binray
The white sockets on the ESX-8GT mk2 seem pretty loose too, significantly looser than the black ones on the ESX-8CV. It does depend what kind of jack I use, but the Doepfer ones are pretty loose. They haven't actually fallen out yet though to be fair.
frokka
The best sockets I've come across are the ones EMW are using, the jacks really click into place and stay there.
Not sure what brand it is though.
bisquick
@frokka - better than intellijel? they look similar...
frokka
bisquick wrote:
@frokka - better than intellijel? they look similar...

I have a Shapeshifter and the sockets look similar but feel different. Not much though.
I think the Shapeshifter uses the same as my Tides from MI.
morphlex
I just got the MK3 2 weeks ago and feel the same about how patch cables don't snap in and doesn't hold the patch cable well at the tip. I'm also experiencing clicks when using the Z knob but I'll bring that up in another post since it's not related. I hope I can get mine to stop clicking though.
coresect
Disting Mk 3 owner here. Never noticed a problem with the sockets. Just had a fiddle to see if I was missing something. Nope. Not a problem. I must be really lucky. Only module I have problems with is an Analogue Systems RS-100 which I frequently have to juggle cables to make any kind of contact.
Xtheunknown
I am considering a Disting mk 3. Any additional experiences with the jacks on recent batches?
MrTurboparrot
Xtheunknown wrote:
I am considering a Disting mk 3. Any additional experiences with the jacks on recent batches?

everything solid and fine on my mk3
resynthesize
MrTurboparrot wrote:

everything solid and fine on my mk3

Same, no issues whatsoever on mine, jacks feel fine.
Shledge
Mine are a little loose, similar to my older doepfer modules. Not really an issue though as I think they can be tightened in the same way.
bonzai
Mine came in last Saturday: the jacks in my model (production date mid june '17) are extremely loose, it just takes a pinky to pull cables out, there is just enough grip to stop them from falling out on their own, so almost none at all. cry
This is really a shame, it's such a great little module otherwise, but this issue really looks like a show stopper to me. ATM I'm seriously thinking of returning it, for sure the jacks will get even worse with time.

Edit: It's sad, but I returned it now. I hope that the next batch is ok again, I'd really love to keep it - with working jacks, that is...
aleale62
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_doh.gif
just received a new one: very very loose
very frustrating
phutureboy
+1
sad to see a 3 years old problem still unsolved...
shiny saw
I have a Disting mk4, and besides being amazed by its functionality, I also got really disappointed by the very loose jack sockets. I get glitches and interruptions when eventually touch the cables plug in there.
I also was considering an ES-8, but as much I'm attracted by its features, I'm not sure if those loose connections can be trusted in a live situation.

I'm reading this now and can't believe that this problem didn't get fixed after 4 versions!! And, anyway, it looks like it's not about the Disting, but the jack sockets themselves, which are used in all ES modules (I guess) as their users are reporting this issue too. The LED feedback is an amazing feature, I was totally amused by that. But the metal contacts holding the jack inside are truly flimsy.

os wrote:
I'm promised that the next batch of jacks from the factory will have a higher retention force. I can't say when those will start finding their way into distings though.

os wrote:
exper wrote:
There are mk2 distings, but the jacks are the same.

The jacks are gradually being improved, every batch I get from the factory, so don't assume any given revision of the disting has the same jacks on it as others of the same revision.

With all my respect, @os, you said that 3 years before my Disting was purchased. People at the beginning of this thread were putting their hope in mk2. Mine is mk4 and bought in june. I'm wondering how long it gotta take for these jacks to reach full improvement.

I would appreciate any suggestion or solution (different to swapping the jacks by myself)
megamarkd
I've just received a Disting Mk4 and the sockets are really loose. I was hoping there might be a particular brand of cable that has slightly fatter jacks that will tighten up the connection?
bedhed3000
megamarkd wrote:
I've just received a Disting Mk4 and the sockets are really loose. I was hoping there might be a particular brand of cable that has slightly fatter jacks that will tighten up the connection?

I'm curious if using right-angle cables, like those Tendril cables that just came out, might help with this. I have a Ladik output module that I found has similarly loose connections at the jacks. It is only a problem if I accidentally bump the cables while turning knobs or patching other nearby modules, so I just bought some right-angle 3.5mm cables to use on this module specifically. They lay flat and out of the way of my stupid hands. Problem solved.

For reference, here is the thread about Tendrils: https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203120
megamarkd
Cheers for the heads-up, they do look handy. Useful for getting at knobs when the spaghetti is thick too. I'll give them a try.

bedhed3000 wrote:
megamarkd wrote:

I'm curious if using right-angle cables, like those Tendril cables that just came out, might help with this. I have a Ladik output module that I found has similarly loose connections at the jacks. It is only a problem if I accidentally bump the cables while turning knobs or patching other nearby modules, so I just bought some right-angle 3.5mm cables to use on this module specifically. They lay flat and out of the way of my stupid hands. Problem solved.

For reference, here is the thread about Tendrils: https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203120
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3