MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Disting reality check - the jacks are very bad!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Disting reality check - the jacks are very bad!
srsonido
The jacks on this module suck! Period. Pretty? Yes. But pretty precarious in actual use.

Sorry to start yet another Disting thread but with all the gushing and forum topics with words like "Awesome" in the subject line, I think it's fair to have another perspective rise in the searches.

I got the Disting module recently and have started getting to know it. The functionality is remarkable! You can do a lot in a small space with software and I agree with most of the positive opinions in that regard. It can offer a lot of utilities in a small space.

But... I've used the module in just a few patches now and I have knocked the cables in the Disting jacks loose twice - loose enough to change the function or disconnect it all together - simply by making patches or moving other cables in the vicinity of the cables going to the Disting.

If you consider loose jacks a desirable source of uncertainty, you may like the jacks on this module, they certainly can add some unexpected sounds. But if you like to have solid, reliable patch connections in performance, beware, this module may disappoint you.

Like many, given all it's functions I was considering that one Disting might not be enough. After actually using the module however, I think I'm going to hold off purchasing any more until / unless ES can fix the jacks. One of these in the setup might be manageable as a utility module, but having these unreliable connections distributed in critical points all over my setup would be a nightmare in performance.
os
I'm all for negative feedback, but I'm not sure you needed to post the same thing twice.

Link to other thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1609432#1609432

If you happen to have the chance to compare your unit against another, and find that your jacks are unusually loose, we can get that fixed. But I do personally test each unit and nothing goes out unless I believe the jacks are satisfactory.
srsonido
os wrote:
I'm all for negative feedback, but I'm not sure you needed to post the same thing twice.

Link to other thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1609432#1609432

Thanks Os, I understand your point and apologies to all for the clutter of a double post.

The reason I did so is twofold:

First, my observation was that there was already a thread with "Amazing" in the topic line. I felt that was a bit leading and if I were researching this module I would be less likely to see a contrary opinion buried in a thread so named, than I would be to see it in a separate subject line. I stated this in my original post.

Second, while I'm not new to synthesis or precision audio equipment for that matter, I am rather new to this forum and when I was creating this topic I was not aware that the system (or moderator) would triage my post into a separate category. That's my ignorance at work, mea culpa. After creating this thread, however, I realized that it had instantly been moved to the ES category and not the Eurorack category, the later, as you observed, tends to get broader attention. So, ironically, for reasons similar to your motivation for starting starting that other thread in the Eurorack category...

os wrote:

...I'm posting here by way of a news bulletin so all Euro users are likely to see it.

I moved my attention to that category, and posted there, where it might get broader discourse. This was really just clumsiness on my part, so again, apologies for that.

Regarding your suggestion to compare the jacks on my module to those of others, that's a good call and I did so with one other module before posting here. The jacks on that module feel just like mine. I realize that's only an n of 2, I may have access to a second one later this week so I will at least have a n of 3.

Thanks for your response here. I'm going to try and move further conversation about this back to the other thread which you created.
os
Cool, no worries!
Parametex
In similar vein as ES is most likely using same components in other products in the future...

The jacks on my ES-3mkIII are also unacceptable loose. Its "ok" for the studio I suppose but just barely.

Sourcing different components in the future would be a wise move for otherwise absolutely brilliant product line.
exper
I hate to add to this, but I just received my Disting. When I read this thread before, I thought, how bad can it be...

But just moving cables around in a patch causes jacks to pop out from the Disting.

OS, is there anything that can be done to fix this? It's pretty cool so far in and of itself, and the lit jacks are genius. But, you know... This is kinda crazy.
os
I'm promised that the next batch of jacks from the factory will have a higher retention force. I can't say when those will start finding their way into distings though.
exper
That's good to hear, but for now, I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm thinking of returning it and waiting until a batch is available with the improved jacks. Hope Control Voltage has an OK return policy!
Nuuj
Is there no way to manually tighten these?
Analog>Plugins
Or solder some wires to it on the inside and then use a multi module (really cheap) and wire it to those. Obviously disconnect the multi's jacks from each other.
adh82
I noticed how loose there are too do I compared the jacks to my es-3 mk1 and other doepfer jacks and noticed it's the metal contacts that are to blame not the jack design. It seems to me that the metal is thinner and less rigid than other modules the they don't lock in/push down on the cable as hard as other jacks do, I'm pretty sure that if you replaced the metal, mainly the top pice that moves and in in contact with the tip of the cable it would improve them 10 fold! What do you think OS?
Analog>Plugins
I think I will buy some better mono jack plugs and just change them over on my Disting. It's not a big job and shit happens....should only cost about £6.
Claudyknight
I'm considering swapping out the metal part now! Is what do you think? Will this tighten up the jacks?
monads
So...there's plenty of comments on this, but my reason for bumping this particular thread on the subject matter is can or have any users fixed???
ilya.n
I noticed that too (with esx8cv) - jacks are bit loose.

Is it possible to replace the jacks DIY?
chapelier fou
Same thing on my ES-3. i might change them by myself as i don't think it's acceptable in a live situation.
ilya.n
<DELETED>
monads
I was gonna pick up a Disting mk2, but this issue just deferred it waah

Maybe mk3 will get right!
cupwise
think i'll hold off also
Funky40
srsonido wrote:
The jacks on this module suck! Period. Pretty? Yes. But pretty precarious in actual use.

same opinion here in regards to the FH-1.
in my case my FH-1 is in a siderack so the pulling force comes somewhat from the side.
....and i don´t have to jam there with knobs.
so i think i can live with that. nevertheless, its totally unnice.
.....has the market to be like this that one has to totally avoid buying anything new ?
seems so to me.
...thats what i heavily have to force me to do with allready many many manufacturers.

some more constructive feedback:
the earthenvar cables feel less loose than the doepfer cables.
the dopefer cables are quasi on the edge to be unusable with my FH-1.
the earthenvar are on the edge to be somehow acceptable.

have to hold off to buy anything more from ES till this issue is solved. sorry

edit:
OS, otherwise was your appearance in the forum here, especially on the FH-1 thread VERY confidence drawing !
you are doing a great job ! ......to bad with the jacks
Upright
Someone told me there are new mark 2 distings available, does anyone know if this is true? I've heard about the jacks and this has been one of the reasons I didn't buy disting initially.
exper
Upright wrote:
Someone told me there are new mark 2 distings available, does anyone know if this is true? I've heard about the jacks and this has been one of the reasons I didn't buy disting initially.

There are mk2 distings, but the jacks are the same. Only internal memory has been increased to allow for longer delay times.
os
mk2s are coming back in stock in the next week or so.

You know, I like to think it's a measure of my integrity that I don't moderate the f*** out of this thread razz
os
exper wrote:
There are mk2 distings, but the jacks are the same.

The jacks are gradually being improved, every batch I get from the factory, so don't assume any given revision of the disting has the same jacks on it as others of the same revision.
exper
os wrote:
exper wrote:
There are mk2 distings, but the jacks are the same.

The jacks are gradually being improved, every batch I get from the factory, so don't assume any given revision of the disting has the same jacks on it as others of the same revision.

Good to know! I'd like to get a disting again eventually, it's just the one I had literally would let cables slide right out. Fantastically useful module though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3