MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dotcom/MOTM Wood Cabinet Screws - Group Buy?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Dotcom/MOTM Wood Cabinet Screws - Group Buy?
bwhittington
Does anyone else need more screws for their wood cabinets? I've been hunting for screws to the Dotcom spec (6 x 1/2 black pan head sheet metal screws) this evening and found a price for a bulk supply. If ten of us wanted 1,000 screws (and that's a lot of screwin' baby!), the price would be $17.53 shipped ($12.58 for product + $4.95 for flat-rate shipping in the US). That's more than most of us would ever need, unless you lose half of them like me, but it beats paying Roger $10 for 100.

Alternately, it could be 500 screws for $11.25 shipped, but I'm doubting ten people will be up for this, much less the 20 that would be needed to disperse 10,000 screws in smaller lots.

If anyone responds, I'll toss the idea out on the Yahoo list, too, to try and get the enough people. The pricing represents actual costs, with no profit to me. Screws would be divided by weight, so 1000 would be a close approximation, but likely not the exact number. Anyway, drop me a note here or via PM if you are interested.

Cheers,
Brian
carynrich
I just got 2 boxes of 100 from McMaster-Carr for $3.07 each. they're size 6 x1/2" with a matte black finish. also ordered some threaded hex standoffs and 4-40 screws to spread the cost of shipping.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#90935a148/=5g7sqv
bwhittington
Oh, cool. 200 is a more realistic supply! How much was shipping? The one vendor I found with boxes of 100 added enough for shipping to rival Roger's price. I was kind of surprised that I couldn't find something similar in the $3 range locally.

Cheers,
Brian
essex sound lab
Doesn't Roger sell them in reasonable quantities? I seem to recall buying some from him when I ordered other spare parts (960 bulbs, etc.) and that's kept me with enough of a surplus.
carynrich
shipping was $5.00, tax was $4.55 (IL) but i ordered a lot of stuff. here's a partial list.

Quantity Item Ships Unit Price Total Price
50 Each 91780A163 Aluminum Female Threaded Hex Standoff 1/4" Hex, 3/8" Length, 4-40 Screw Size (Same as 91780A730) $0.27 $13.50
50 Each 91780A162 Aluminum Female Threaded Hex Standoff 1/4" Hex, 1/4" Length, 4-40 Screw Size (Same as 91780A720) $0.23 $11.50
1 Pack 91772A106 18-8 SS Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw 4-40 Thread, 1/4" Length, Packs of 100 $3.47 $3.47
1 Pack 91772A108 18-8 SS Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw 4-40 Thread, 3/8" Length, Packs of 100 $3.76 $3.76
1 Pack 91772A103 18-8 SS Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw 4-40 Thread, 1/8" Length, Packs of 100 $4.27 $4.27
2 Packs 90935A148 Pan Head Phillips Sheet Metal Screw Black-Oxide Steel, No 6 Size, 1/2" Length, Packs of 100 $3.07 $6.14
bwhittington
essex sound lab wrote:
Doesn't Roger sell them in reasonable quantities? I seem to recall buying some from him when I ordered other spare parts (960 bulbs, etc.) and that's kept me with enough of a surplus.

Paying a dime for a penny part just doesn't feel like one of the better values in the Dotcom catalog. I did find a box of the screws on eBay for about $7 shipped, so that should last me for a little while.

Cheers,
Brian
essex sound lab
bwhittington wrote:

Paying a dime for a penny part just doesn't feel like one of the better values in the Dotcom catalog.
Cheers,
Brian

Fair point, that. I think I'd just paid something like $8k for the rig, so I guess I didn't notice. cry
bwhittington
essex sound lab wrote:

Fair point, that. I think I'd just paid something like $8k for the rig, so I guess I didn't notice. cry

More to the point, as if it wasn't obvious enough from the number of pm's we've traded today, finding an alternative source of screws to prevent the evil kapitalists at Dotcom ffrom greedily bilking me for nine cents a pop was not exactly interrupting a busy day for me. hihi

Cheers,
Brian
essex sound lab
bwhittington wrote:

More to the point, as if it wasn't obvious enough from the number of pm's we've traded today, finding an alternative source of screws to prevent the evil kapitalists at Dotcom ffrom greedily bilking me for nine cents a pop was not exactly interrupting a busy day for me. hihi

And to further the point, I get lazy and overpay for things just for convenience.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1