MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

J.Haible's Living VCO for Eurorack [Build Thread]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Author J.Haible's Living VCO for Eurorack [Build Thread]
logicgate
@sammy

Oh is it only for the driver? TBH I just remember that there was a fix for the detune pot, just not sure if for driver only...

Well, I have just tested here and the detune pot works as it should. Tuning the oscillators with detune pot FCCW and then slowly turning it CW, to me , , , sounds as expected, very subtle detuning.

Do you have diptrace? I could send you the schematic and PCB files, it makes the debug easier.

I have attached to this post an image with the silkscreen, might be of help.
tojpeters
I think it comes down to the definition of detune.
I think of detuning as moving away from pitch,sharp or flat.
In that definition the pots are backwards.
The way you describe detune as being in the flat direction only they are correct.
logicgate
Hey guys,

About the R39 fix:

It seems that the best way to find the correct value for your build is by using sockets at R39 and keep swapping resistors (between 820K and 1M) until you find the right for you, since the resistances of each build will be a bit different and the PW is very picky.

I say that because I used 820K on my other two LVCOs and found out that the square wave still disappears when PW pot is FCCW, so I guess I will need a higher value for the other two, but not much.
sammy123
Logicgate, even if you adjust the trimmers? I put in 820Ks and then adjusted r40 I think. It's not perfect though. I didn't even try that before I out in the 820Ks.
logicgate
sammy123 wrote:
Logicgate, even if you adjust the trimmers? I put in 820Ks and then adjusted r40 I think. It's not perfect though. I didn't even try that before I out in the 820Ks.

Yep even after trimming...
logicgate
Just so you guys know, what I end up using at R39 on my other two LVCOs is a 1M5 resistor, now I get the full range of the square wave on them too and PW pot at FCCW position doesn't make the wave disappear.
sammy123
Cool. Glad you got it.
logicgate
Hey guys! Today I had some free time to fool around with my modular and recorded some audio. This is two LVCOs going into the yusynth minimoog filter clone. From the modular output into the crappy notebook mic in, but it's not that bad, actually.

Frequency of the LVCOs is being modulated by the turing machine, quantized by the Intellijel uScale. Filter cutoff is modulated by the 4ms PEG.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/167177852" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
LED-man
i want build the LVCO in MOTM and would start in order a MOTM panel from schaeffer.
But i have seen on many eurorack panels in the LVCO thread most panels have SIN out.
I´m wondering from where they have the signal - i dont find on the pcb pictures a SIN OUT connector.

further i miss here the schematics and BOM for the driver, one place for all documentation files - maybe on first page would be very helpful.
logicgate
Barcode, you are summoned to post here the driver related files lol

@LED-man

I know that you can check the driver schematics at Haible's website:

http://www.jhaible.com/living_vcos/jh_living_vcos.html

The tri to sin converter I don't remember from where he got the circuit.
tojpeters
MFOS
Barcode
Attached is the tri to sine I used. When I was working on the layout I did a quick search and found that one. It was simple enough.

I will work on getting the driver schematic exported today.
bsmith
Is there a bom for the driver board somewhere?
edit:
found on barcode's site....
http://www.baud-rate.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Living-VCO-Dr iver-BoM-v1.1.pdf
Barcode
Here are the BoM's for the Barcode Edition of the VCO Core and the Driver.
LED-man
@Barcode:

have seen you found 2 failures on the pcb
shown on your website http://www.baud-rate.com/blog/

are this Isues on production pcbs too ?
Barcode
All of the issue I reported have been fixed on the production PCB's. thumbs up
LektroiD
Boards arrived today and look awesome. Anyone planning to do Eurorack panels for the full PCB set?
bsmith
so.. going off the bom - those 100n 0504 smt caps - having difficulty finding them on mouser - there don't seem to be any .1uf 0504 - any clues out there?
LED-man
bsmith wrote:
so.. going off the bom - those 100n 0504 smt caps - having difficulty finding them on mouser - there don't seem to be any .1uf 0504 - any clues out there?

Its a typo. Pls. Use 805
cleaninglady
Just looking at the components for the LVCO

I was wondering about a source for the SMT Tempco ?
LED-man
cleaninglady wrote:
Just looking at the components for the LVCO

I was wondering about a source for the SMT Tempco ?

Mouser sells this.
Panasonic
diablojoy
I am just using thru hole ones. I have a bunch of them
but I will run them under the chip just replace the socket with SIL strip socket
instead once the chip is inserted the bottom sits hard against the tempco
no thermal grease needed either.
sceledra
So I mistakenly made a post like this in the wrong place on the forum so I'm going to put it in the right place this time, fingers crossed. Would someone who has completed this build, be willing to share a Mouser cart and/or other order instructions for purchasing all of the needed components for this build? I do not have the background knowledge of parts to know for fact what I'm ordering is what is necessary. The last thing I want to do is order parts and then find out that all the resistors that I've ordered are 1% and they are supposed to be 5% and I didn't order the right ones because you're supposed to "know" that for this type of build that's what you need. Alternatively if someone would like to assuage my fears of this by saying that other than what the BOM actually states for specs on a part you don't have to be concerned with other specs for the parts. I'd be more than willing to compensate you for the time you spent compiling the info and responding if you care to share with me. Thanks
cleaninglady
diablojoy wrote:
I am just using thru hole ones. I have a bunch of them
but I will run them under the chip just replace the socket with SIL strip socket
instead once the chip is inserted the bottom sits hard against the tempco
no thermal grease needed either.

Cheers man , sounds good. SlayerBadger!

Do you have a certain technique for achieving optimum height of the Tempco for contact with the Chip ?
raisinbag
If I'm reading you right, the last few times I put a tempco over a chip I soldered it in after, plopped a glop of white stuff on chip, and soldered in place touching the top of IC. You can push the tempco off to the side ifyou ever need to remove chip. But if you solder it in after, it is easy to get height. I you do it under id use two strips of sil machied sockets and solder tempco just a wee bit above the top of those so chip will push against it when you pop the chip in sockets.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Page 2 of 25