MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

J.Haible's Living VCO for Eurorack [Build Thread]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Author J.Haible's Living VCO for Eurorack [Build Thread]
diablojoy
Quote:
I you do it under id use two strips of sil machied sockets and solder tempco just a wee bit above the top of those so chip will push against it when you pop the chip in sockets.

correct
also I found if you are using the small tempco's available from thonk you can just use a normal socket in which case install the socket then the tempco
the tempco leads will straddle the ends of the socket which are lower and places the tempco at almost the perfect height to push against the underside of the chip, I don't use thermal paste but if you do make sure it specifies it is not electically conductive,- most are and they also tend to creep over time that may cause a world of pain trying to track down a fault months later.
bsmith
So for that driver lm13600 - where are y'all sourcing this? Found this on mouser - pinout is the same, should it work fine?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NJR/NJM13600D/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuUbyQT l9BuV%252bWkQ1cVapN4VDou46f5Gn8%3d
sammy123
I ordered a bunch from ebay.
LektroiD
bsmith wrote:
So for that driver lm13600 - where are y'all sourcing this? Found this on mouser - pinout is the same, should it work fine?
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NJR/NJM13600D/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuUbyQT l9BuV%252bWkQ1cVapN4VDou46f5Gn8%3d

Use LM13700, basically the same OTA
fuzzbass
Just have to say, Dymo Labelmate applause ! It reaffirms my faith in humanity that P-Touch did not put them out of business. I'm sure its toxic as hell, but the adhesive on these things is magical. You see panels made in 1960s with these things still clinging like mad. Wouldn't that be great if there were some on the Voyager spacecraft? They would still be stuck on after drifting through the cosmos for a billion years, and the ETs would no doubt be impressed.
olga42
bsmith wrote:

Some of the NJM-manufactured ICs were 2nd or 3rd sources of more or less standard analog components so these are the same as LM13600. NJR also make their 13700 variant, or at least used to.
qfactor
So LM13600 can really be swapped with the LM13700? hmmm.....
Coz I have a bunch of 13700s in hand nanners
LED-man
i want order in next weeks from Schaeffer a LVCO MOTM Panel.
pictures here:
https://www.dsl-man.de/display/MAIN/Juergen+Haible+Living+VCO+in+MOTM

1-4 users: each 245€
5 -10 Users each 220€
10 users each 196€
20-29 users each 171€
bsmith
thanks for the pointers on the 13600 being more or less the same as the 13700, have those, great.
So - trimmers and board mounting...
How are y'all going to go about this? There are a fair amount of trimmers on these dudes and the orientation on some is such that even side mounted adjustments will not really be reachable if the boards are mounted off the panel by the pots. So seems there are a few options.
a) just calibrate as they are built/mounted, and if future adjustments are needed un panel and deal with it..
or
b) Don't panel mount the boards but sandwich them in two pairs and use wires for the panel pots and come up with some bracketology - this allows board mounting the trimmers for easy access when needed...
or....
c) Fly trimmers out to a piece of stripboard and mount that off the back and mount the panel off of pots anyhow.

i'm leaning towards 'b'.
what have y'all who have completed the build done?
tojpeters
I used plan b
qfactor
Hi,

I sourced the CA3046 chip to Futurelec, so just wanted to be sure that this should be able to work in the LVCO, right?
I mean you won't need a specific type of 3046 for it to work as planned, right? hmmm.....
raisinbag
I don't think you need anything special in a suffix. I don't think I have ever seen that noted in any 3046 builds. I actually just found a bunch of 3046's that aren't even CA, I think they are TL? But I plan on using them and doubt there is any notable difference. But I have been wrong once or twice in my life. hihi
nigel
qfactor wrote:
Hi,

I sourced the CA4036 chip to Futurelec, so just wanted to be sure that this should be able to work in the LVCO, right?

Just a heads up - I cancelled my last Futurlec order after about three months, when they still hadn't sourced most of it. (And had constantly ... let's say, made inaccurate estimates of when things would be available.)
raisinbag
Bride chamber has them if you are in a pinch.
qfactor
nigel wrote:
qfactor wrote:
Hi,

I sourced the CA4036 chip to Futurelec, so just wanted to be sure that this should be able to work in the LVCO, right?

Just a heads up - I cancelled my last Futurlec order after about three months, when they still hadn't sourced most of it. (And had constantly ... let's say, made inaccurate estimates of when things would be available.)

I know what you mean as far as Futurelec goes! sad banana
This would be my 3rd time using them, the 1st two times, it was "nail bitingly" long for my order to arrive.
Only reason is I can't find this at my "usual" online places (Tayda, Small Bear) but at least now I can also try Bridechamber's! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
Thanks!
khakifridge
qfactor wrote:
I cancelled my last Futurlec order after about three months . . .

I get the feeling that they're called Futurelec because that's when your stuff arrives. And of course tomorrow never comes... confused
LeftyLogic
So while it unfortunately isn't of a whole lot of use with this project, I was looking around on Mouser and it turns out that TI is now making 3046's again! Unfortunately, it looks like they're only making them in surface mount as opposed to through hole, but here's the part number anyway: 926-LM3046M/NOPB. I suppose that if worst comes to worst and you couldn't find any anywhere else you might be able to scrounge up an SOIC to DIP adapter, but I wouldn't really call that an ideal solution.
It really stinks that Tayda's run out. sad banana

Seth
sduck
utsource - I've used them for a lot of stuff and everything's worked.
diablojoy
Quote:
utsource - I've used them for a lot of stuff and everything's worked.

same here
fuzzbass
re ca3046 ... I have twice obtained them from ebay seller iseetheworld and in both cases received good OEM Harris chips. They are working in my TTSH. As with all ebay transactions, you take a risk. But this was my experience.

Treat these chips with care, they are fragile and especially heat sensitive. Socket them.
CJ Miller
I eagerly look forward to starting on mine, but I need to wait to order the SMT caps. My 1206s are too large to fit, and I am too desperately broke to order parts anything soon. It drives me nuts to hold off building for a dollars worth of parts.
qfactor
Bah!! seriously, i just don't get it
Futurelec just got back to me that they've run out of CA3046 and offered a refund as they are expecting difficulty in re-stocking these chips anytime soon! sad banana

So I'm going with this guy, iseetheworld on eBay, as mentioned by fuzzbass here. He's selling 10 chips for about US$17, including shipping.
Now I wait..... sad banana

fuzzbass wrote:
re ca3046 ... I have twice obtained them from ebay seller iseetheworld and in both cases received good OEM Harris chips. They are working in my TTSH. As with all ebay transactions, you take a risk. But this was my experience.

Treat these chips with care, they are fragile and especially heat sensitive. Socket them.
bsmith
I've got the 3046's squared away (if that planets align correctly I hope to finally hear my build this weekend, halleluja) but just curious, would a ca3086 work in lieu of them? Seems like I saw Yves or someone state as much over on e-m....
lysander
Might work but the differential pair in the 3086 is not matched so the V/Oct performance might be negatively affected.
sammy123
So has anyone been able to squeeze precision pots for the frequency? I have been looking and the smallest i see are about 3/4" at the base. Probably too tight to wire in place of a pcb mounted 9mm alpha with Barcodes panel. It would be nice though because the tuning on this is tough...not that it needs to be perfect, but small adjustments are difficult.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next [all]
Page 3 of 25