MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Klee sequencer in MU format
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Klee sequencer in MU format
whitewulfe
Wonderful news to see that it will fit in a Box11! And also, my that is a gorgeous build and... Shipped attached to 2x4's is definitely an innovative way to keep a module safe!
alternating.bit
What is that "load" and "bus load" feature for? Does it have some form of digital memory?
megaohm
alternating.bit wrote:
What is that "load" and "bus load" feature for? Does it have some form of digital memory?


No memory.
These two switches will load the pattern into the shift register.
The pattern is determined by the bottom 16 switch settings.

It's difficult (for me!) to explain a lot of the coolest features of this module in text.
I will shoot a video.
Hopefully this week, but my module is taken apart at the moment.
I use it as a guide to build these and I have a couple more to go.
Once the next module is done I'll put mine back together and shoot.
I haven't used it in two weeks and that is driving me crazy!

Thanks for all the kind words.
I ship it attached to wood because I'm afraid of warping and abuse from transit.
VinceL
For those who would like a detailed explanation of what makes the Klee sequencer so unique, here is a link to a document that provides an explanation of the Klee's functions and provides walk-thru examples to show how the Klee works.

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/know_the_klee_draft4_198.pd f

WARNING: It is over 50 pages long. Mr. Green
rezzn8r
alternating.bit wrote:
What is that "load" and "bus load" feature for? Does it have some form of digital memory?


The Klee is a multi-bit sequencer. The load button adds/initializes the bit pattern.
Most every other sequencer you have ever used is single bit, with the active bit moving from step to step on the clock pulse. A Klee can have more than one step active at a time. The cv values for each active step are summed.
sduck
The load button is one you use a ton - in my demos you'll see me pressing it every time the pattern changes. You can be playing a pattern, and change a bunch of the pattern switches, but nothing changes until you hit the load switch. The Bus 1 load switch enables an automatic load button press whenever the Bus 1 send a trigger, which can lead to weird length patterns, depending on how the gate switches are set - the gate bus switches use a different kind of pattern logic, which makes the things very unpredictable, one of the beautiful things about the klee. If preset patterns and predictability are important to you, the klee may not be your thing!
alternating.bit
That's really cool man - thanks for sharing!
I'm not shopping for a sequencer now, but it just seems like a cool feature, one that my MFOS 16-step lacks. But at least my MFOS does have a random pattern feature.

EDIT - oh wow, I didn't notice the previous page - LOTS of feedback & explanations, thanks everyone thumbs up

megaohm wrote:

It's difficult (for me!) to explain a lot of the coolest features of this module in text.
I will shoot a video.
Hopefully this week, but my module is taken apart at the moment.
I use it as a guide to build these and I have a couple more to go.
Once the next module is done I'll put mine back together and shoot.
I haven't used it in two weeks and that is driving me crazy!


I look forward to the video!
nidas
Very nice build - Gotta read up and check out the videos on this one.
kid303
Are we able to use this design as I would like to build a Klee in MU

Eventually

Or is this Megaaohm design strictly his personal signature.

Sure is nicer than the MOTM version.

I would love to have this layout if it allowed.

Very nice indeed
megaohm
You can use that.
I can't claim any originality either. It is basically the MOTM layout with changes I see as better for playability/intuition.

The UP/DOWN/BOTH switch for the GLIDE outputs is super useful. It consists of the added switch and two diodes mounted on the switch and pot.
The diodes select whether the pot is skipped over or not.

Self quote -
"I'll build one anytime someone wants one.
Even months or years from now if you want one get in touch.
I'll be up for it."

That is not true anymore! I have four Klee fader modules to sell and after that I will never build another Klee. It's too difficult to do for less than an astronomical price.
I had those panels made by Ben at re:synthesis. Not sure if he would want to make another because I think the panel was difficult to fab (over 100 holes to punch!).
If he is up for it, he has my permission to use my artwork for your panel as long as my logo in the corner is removed.

Hope that helps and I encourage you to build a Klee.
The module changed the way I play my modular.



kid303 wrote:
Are we able to use this design as I would like to build a Klee in MU

Eventually

Or is this Megaaohm design strictly his personal signature.

Sure is nicer than the MOTM version.

I would love to have this layout if it allowed.

Very nice indeed
Eric the Red
I have a pair of these on the bench, working on a panel design. I dread the weekend(s) drilling out the holes for the pair of panels.

My plan is to build them as a mirror image of one another, with the one on the left spinning counter clockwise, and the right one spinning clockwise.. will check back in about 8 months when I have this done!!
JohnLRice
Eric the Red wrote:
I have a pair of these on the bench, working on a panel design. I dread the weekend(s) drilling out the holes for the pair of panels.

My plan is to build them as a mirror image of one another, with the one on the left spinning counter clockwise, and the right one spinning clockwise.. will check back in about 8 months when I have this done!!
Cool! SlayerBadger!

hmmm..... Or you could put BOTH Klees behind one massive panel and have the LED rings intersect each other like the Olympic loops or an infinity sign? hyper hyper It sounds awesome, especially since I know I'm not the who who would have to build it! Mr. Green Dead Banana MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Eric the Red
So far, I am thinking of going with this style pot:




Link: http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/clear-shaft-1/

And these large Knobs: https://www.amazon.com/KAISH-Skirted-Transparent-Insert-Effect/dp/B01F DHAKB8



As for the rest of the panel, I don’t know yet..
dslocum
Eric the Red wrote:
So far, I am thinking of going with this style pot:




Link: http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/clear-shaft-1/

And these large Knobs: https://www.amazon.com/KAISH-Skirted-Transparent-Insert-Effect/dp/B01F DHAKB8



As for the rest of the panel, I don’t know yet..


I'm not sure how those knobs would work. They look like there's a brass / metal sleeve that has a set screw. That might prevent the light from traveling out the sides of the clear shaft pot.

I tried a couple of the Small Bear pots with their matching clear Euro style knobs http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/fluted-miniature-po inter-abs-colors-for-knurled-shaft/ and the light transfer from the LED, to the pot shaft to the knob was 'just' OK - nothing special - IMHO.

You might have some luck adding some silicone grease to help the light transfer though. I haven't tried it.
Dave Peck
dslocum wrote:


I'm not sure how those knobs would work. They look like there's a brass / metal sleeve that has a set screw. That might prevent the light from traveling out the sides of the clear shaft pot.


Good catch! Yes, for a pot with an illuminated knurled center shaft (as opposed to a "D" shaped shaft or round shaft) made from clear plastic, the best choice for a knob would be a clear knob that has a matching knurled center shaft and no metal insert, no set screw.

Something like this:

https://lovemyswitches.com/clear-mxr-style-knob-knurled-shaft-11-x-20m m/

And here's an option that does use a set screw, but has no metal insert:

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Davies-Effect-Knobs-Transparent/dp/B00WW H5QRQ/ref=pd_day0_hl_267_18?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00WWH5QRQ&pd_rd_r= 120f3096-e92f-11e8-a8c6-1b706237d91c&pd_rd_w=z99DC&pd_rd_wg=9OvSl&pf_r d_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-8 2c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=2RBDDPKXKX51M1FKVQT8&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims& pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=2RBDDPKXKX51M1FKVQT8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group