MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Klee sequencer in MU format
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Klee sequencer in MU format
megaohm
I would like to build two or three more of these while it's still fresh in my mind.
(also, I want to fund a second Klee for myself! w00t )

This is essentially a standard Klee with the addition of up/down/both selection toggles for the glide outs.
NKK switches, Switchcraft112 jacks, APEM buttons, all high quality parts.
Less than three inches in depth behind panel.
It will fit in a Box11.
Powered from a standard 6 pin DotCom power connector.

You choose the color scheme for:
LEDs
LED lenses
push buttons
switch caps
knobs

Get in touch with me at my main address if interested:
phil (at sign)
megaohmaudio.com

I'll post some sound samples and more pics tonight/tomorrow.

rezzn8r
booty wiggler booty wiggler
The Disquiet
Price... ? (hides)
megaohm
The Disquiet wrote:
Price... ? (hides)

Seems like a fair question to me!

$1200 + ship

a couple more pics:

It is 2.65" deep measured from the back of the panel to the top of the connectors

Minimoog56
Beautiful as always Phil!
diophantine
Looks amazing, Phil!

Tempting, but can't really afford at the moment. (Plus, I really ought to finish building the Klee boards that I have!)

Curious how you like the rotary aspect of it? I designed my panel to be linear - I think it might be easier to wrap my head around what it is doing that way, but who knows!
JohnLRice
Rawk!
megaohm
diophantine wrote:

Curious how you like the rotary aspect of it? I designed my panel to be linear - I think it might be easier to wrap my head around what it is doing that way, but who knows!

I'm surprised that I like it a lot!
I thought the circular layouts were more a light show thing, but the patterns act as a cue for throwing switches, changing settings, etc.
A linear layout might come out more as a left to right reading of the pattern whereas circular seems more immediate to read.
It's hard for me to explain.
And it could be I've just become more familiar with working circular because I learned about the Klee with that layout.

There is more disconnect between the pots and the program switches.
I haven't had trouble with it, though. IE: I haven't been accidentally working knobs that I thought were a different step.
Regardless, I won't discount the linear layout. With that you know there will never be any confusion.
Eventually, I want to build a Klee with a linear pot layout.
Except faders instead of rotary pots (and a quantizer to go with it!).
megaohm
I want to give credit for the panel to someone else.

I designed it, yes, and it was hard figuring out the placements in the ovals(!), but I used a pic of the MOTM version as a guide.
I don't know who did this.
Babysealclub?
Bridechamber?

I changed a few things about it but it's basically what they came up with and some refinements of my own. I tried a bunch of different layouts but they weren't as good, so I'm grateful someone came up with this one before me.
sduck
I think it was Thomas White, who also did the rotary MFOS sequencer design.
odecahedron
i have the mfos but always regarded the klee with some kind of mystic suspicion... not having actually touched one ...

what separates it from the rotary mfos functionally? it has a few other functions eh?

really nice lookin gbuild megaohm!
sduck
It's a whole different animal. A few other functions, ya.

It's a whole different concept of a sequencer actually. Enough so that there's a book describing how it works - http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=10343 - and even this doesn't really explain everything clearly. I built one of the earlier ones, and hands on experience really made it all make sense, although one of the chief paradigms remain - it's more of a tool for experimentation than a tool for repeatable results.

I could link my klee demos again here, but you've probably seen them, and they don't really explain how it all works together anyway.
Ockeghem
sduck wrote:
It's a whole different animal. A few other functions, ya.

It's a whole different concept of a sequencer actually. Enough so that there's a book describing how it works - http://electro-music.com/forum/download.php?id=10343 - and even this doesn't really explain everything clearly. I built one of the earlier ones, and hands on experience really made it all make sense, although one of the chief paradigms remain - it's more of a tool for experimentation than a tool for repeatable results.

I could link my klee demos again here, but you've probably seen them, and they don't really explain how it all works together anyway.

What does the book not explain kleerly enough? hmmm.....
I'm still somewhat Klee-less until my checks can all Kleer. meh
ericD13
sduck wrote:

I don't remember seeing them.
Please, could you give us links ?
babysealclub
Nice work!
sduck
ericD13 wrote:
sduck wrote:

I don't remember seeing them.
Please, could you give us links ?

Ok, here they are again.

This first one was made within a week of me finishing it up - still a ton of newbie excitement/lack of any real skills showing, along with camera audio - I hadn't really lept onto the youtube demo bandwagon yet at the time -

This one is mostly the klee - the MFOS rotary sequencer is just playing one note over and over and over (duun duun duun duun) - you've probably seen this. it's got a ridiculous number of views (and the associated dunderhead comments) -

whitewulfe
Ooooh, that is absolutely GORGEOUS!

...Out of sheer curiosity, will you be offering these later on?
megaohm
whitewulfe wrote:
Ooooh, that is absolutely GORGEOUS!

...Out of sheer curiosity, will you be offering these later on?

Thanks!

I'll build one anytime someone wants one.
Even months or years from now if you want one get in touch.
I'll be up for it.
whitewulfe
megaohm wrote:
Thanks!

I'll build one anytime someone wants one.
I'll be up for it.

Great to know!
KnobHell
As one who has built a Klee all I can say is that is one beautiful build!

applause
lvoemachine
Yeah that tidy wiring is a sign of real craftsmanship. Nice work
VinceL
It's time to resurrect this thread.

I received my MU Klee sequencer from Phil on Saturday. screaming goo yo w00t nanners Wow!

Our daughter has been staying with us while one of her kitties is in the emergency vet hospital. sad So, I haven't had been able to spend much time with the Klee. I've uploaded a couple of pics.

Phil packed it to withstand a nuclear explosion. And, one of our cats had to check out what was in the box:

Here it is installed in a Box11. It is a pretty tight fit...you need to have the power cables lay flat in the case rather than keep them in a bundle.

I've read through the Klee documentation a couple of times. Next time, I'll have my Klee in front of me to follow the examples. This ain't your uncle Christopher's sequencer.
alternating.bit
1) I LOVE those colored switch tips! woah
2) I've never seen a Klee with the center knobs offset like that; its beautiful!
3) VIDEO demo please.
sduck
VinceL wrote:
This ain't your uncle Christopher's sequencer.

Ha! But... it IS my niece and nephew's uncle Steve's sequencer! My brother played my zimmifryl klee demo for them back in 2009, when they were 10 and 8, and my niece got bored immediately, but my nephew, who may be a bit autistic (or aspbergers) watched the whole thing, a few times, and had all kinds of questions.
Ockeghem
The niece got bored? This supports my theory: that there's many a smiling son, and many a daughter bored, in the synth realm.
smile meh
whitewulfe
Wonderful news to see that it will fit in a Box11! And also, my that is a gorgeous build and... Shipped attached to 2x4's is definitely an innovative way to keep a module safe!
alternating.bit
What is that "load" and "bus load" feature for? Does it have some form of digital memory?
megaohm
alternating.bit wrote:
What is that "load" and "bus load" feature for? Does it have some form of digital memory?

No memory.
These two switches will load the pattern into the shift register.
The pattern is determined by the bottom 16 switch settings.

It's difficult (for me!) to explain a lot of the coolest features of this module in text.
I will shoot a video.
Hopefully this week, but my module is taken apart at the moment.
I use it as a guide to build these and I have a couple more to go.
Once the next module is done I'll put mine back together and shoot.
I haven't used it in two weeks and that is driving me crazy!

Thanks for all the kind words.
I ship it attached to wood because I'm afraid of warping and abuse from transit.
VinceL
For those who would like a detailed explanation of what makes the Klee sequencer so unique, here is a link to a document that provides an explanation of the Klee's functions and provides walk-thru examples to show how the Klee works.

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/know_the_klee_draft4_198.pd f

WARNING: It is over 50 pages long. Mr. Green
rezzn8r
alternating.bit wrote:

The Klee is a multi-bit sequencer. The load button adds/initializes the bit pattern.
Most every other sequencer you have ever used is single bit, with the active bit moving from step to step on the clock pulse. A Klee can have more than one step active at a time. The cv values for each active step are summed.
sduck
The load button is one you use a ton - in my demos you'll see me pressing it every time the pattern changes. You can be playing a pattern, and change a bunch of the pattern switches, but nothing changes until you hit the load switch. The Bus 1 load switch enables an automatic load button press whenever the Bus 1 send a trigger, which can lead to weird length patterns, depending on how the gate switches are set - the gate bus switches use a different kind of pattern logic, which makes the things very unpredictable, one of the beautiful things about the klee. If preset patterns and predictability are important to you, the klee may not be your thing!
alternating.bit
That's really cool man - thanks for sharing!
I'm not shopping for a sequencer now, but it just seems like a cool feature, one that my MFOS 16-step lacks. But at least my MFOS does have a random pattern feature.

EDIT - oh wow, I didn't notice the previous page - LOTS of feedback & explanations, thanks everyone thumbs up

megaohm wrote:

It's difficult (for me!) to explain a lot of the coolest features of this module in text.
I will shoot a video.
Hopefully this week, but my module is taken apart at the moment.
I use it as a guide to build these and I have a couple more to go.
Once the next module is done I'll put mine back together and shoot.
I haven't used it in two weeks and that is driving me crazy!

I look forward to the video!
nidas
Very nice build - Gotta read up and check out the videos on this one.
kid303
Are we able to use this design as I would like to build a Klee in MU

Eventually

Or is this Megaaohm design strictly his personal signature.

Sure is nicer than the MOTM version.

I would love to have this layout if it allowed.

Very nice indeed
megaohm
You can use that.
I can't claim any originality either. It is basically the MOTM layout with changes I see as better for playability/intuition.

The UP/DOWN/BOTH switch for the GLIDE outputs is super useful. It consists of the added switch and two diodes mounted on the switch and pot.
The diodes select whether the pot is skipped over or not.

Self quote -
"I'll build one anytime someone wants one.
I'll be up for it."

That is not true anymore! I have four Klee fader modules to sell and after that I will never build another Klee. It's too difficult to do for less than an astronomical price.
I had those panels made by Ben at re:synthesis. Not sure if he would want to make another because I think the panel was difficult to fab (over 100 holes to punch!).
If he is up for it, he has my permission to use my artwork for your panel as long as my logo in the corner is removed.

Hope that helps and I encourage you to build a Klee.
The module changed the way I play my modular.

kid303 wrote:
Are we able to use this design as I would like to build a Klee in MU

Eventually

Or is this Megaaohm design strictly his personal signature.

Sure is nicer than the MOTM version.

I would love to have this layout if it allowed.

Very nice indeed
Eric the Red
I have a pair of these on the bench, working on a panel design. I dread the weekend(s) drilling out the holes for the pair of panels.

My plan is to build them as a mirror image of one another, with the one on the left spinning counter clockwise, and the right one spinning clockwise.. will check back in about 8 months when I have this done!!
JohnLRice
Eric the Red wrote:
I have a pair of these on the bench, working on a panel design. I dread the weekend(s) drilling out the holes for the pair of panels.

My plan is to build them as a mirror image of one another, with the one on the left spinning counter clockwise, and the right one spinning clockwise.. will check back in about 8 months when I have this done!!
Cool! SlayerBadger!

hmmm..... Or you could put BOTH Klees behind one massive panel and have the LED rings intersect each other like the Olympic loops or an infinity sign? hyper hyper It sounds awesome, especially since I know I'm not the who who would have to build it! Mr. Green Dead Banana MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Eric the Red
So far, I am thinking of going with this style pot:

Link: http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/clear-shaft-1/

And these large Knobs: https://www.amazon.com/KAISH-Skirted-Transparent-Insert-Effect/dp/B01F DHAKB8

As for the rest of the panel, I don’t know yet..
dslocum
Eric the Red wrote:
So far, I am thinking of going with this style pot:

Link: http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/clear-shaft-1/

And these large Knobs: https://www.amazon.com/KAISH-Skirted-Transparent-Insert-Effect/dp/B01F DHAKB8

As for the rest of the panel, I don’t know yet..

I'm not sure how those knobs would work. They look like there's a brass / metal sleeve that has a set screw. That might prevent the light from traveling out the sides of the clear shaft pot.

I tried a couple of the Small Bear pots with their matching clear Euro style knobs http://www.smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/fluted-miniature-po inter-abs-colors-for-knurled-shaft/ and the light transfer from the LED, to the pot shaft to the knob was 'just' OK - nothing special - IMHO.

You might have some luck adding some silicone grease to help the light transfer though. I haven't tried it.
Dave Peck
dslocum wrote:

I'm not sure how those knobs would work. They look like there's a brass / metal sleeve that has a set screw. That might prevent the light from traveling out the sides of the clear shaft pot.

Good catch! Yes, for a pot with an illuminated knurled center shaft (as opposed to a "D" shaped shaft or round shaft) made from clear plastic, the best choice for a knob would be a clear knob that has a matching knurled center shaft and no metal insert, no set screw.

Something like this:

https://lovemyswitches.com/clear-mxr-style-knob-knurled-shaft-11-x-20m m/

And here's an option that does use a set screw, but has no metal insert:

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Davies-Effect-Knobs-Transparent/dp/B00WW H5QRQ/ref=pd_day0_hl_267_18?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00WWH5QRQ&pd_rd_r= 120f3096-e92f-11e8-a8c6-1b706237d91c&pd_rd_w=z99DC&pd_rd_wg=9OvSl&pf_r d_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-8 2c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=2RBDDPKXKX51M1FKVQT8&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims& pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=2RBDDPKXKX51M1FKVQT8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 2